• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

haresfur

haresfur

more soil in non wicking bed

Summer has hit with a vengeance in southeastern Australia, after our insanely wet winter and spring. At least I don't feel as guilty pouring the water on when the reservoirs are full. The predictions are still for higher than average rainfall this summer but I'm not so sure. Here is a view of part of the garden bed along our west fence. This area is mostly watered by a spray hose that is upside down under some mulch. I hope that keeps the tomatoes from turning brown with whatever gets them just when they are looking good. One of the little raised beds is a wicking bed and the other is not. The butternut pumpkin is doing much better in the non-wicking one, maybe because there is more soil for the roots. 

20230109_124259.thumb.jpg.34657d3bb2f1cdc4b5cc154aa6b70e01.jpgimage.thumb.jpeg.ed87e35ccf1654f07d7b6707f0cc415d.jpeg

I got my zucchini and another pumpkin covered with shade cloth in the back bed and harvested my first small zuke so not all the effort is going to waste. My pole beans are looking ok - at least the ones that survived the earwigs when they were small. I'm not a great gardener and I find the clay soil and weather here really difficult to manage.

haresfur

haresfur

Summer has hit with a vengeance in southeastern Australia, after our insanely wet winter and spring. At least I don't feel as guilty pouring the water on when the reservoirs are full. The predictions are still for higher than average rainfall this summer but I'm not so sure. Here is a view of part of the garden bed along our west fence. This area is mostly watered by a spray hose that is upside down under some mulch. I hope that keeps the tomatoes from turning brown with whatever gets them just when they are looking good. One of the little raised beds is a wicking bed and the other is not. The butternut pumpkin is doing much better in the non-wicking one, maybe because there is less soil for the roots. 

20230109_124259.thumb.jpg.34657d3bb2f1cdc4b5cc154aa6b70e01.jpgimage.thumb.jpeg.ed87e35ccf1654f07d7b6707f0cc415d.jpeg

I got my zucchini and another pumpkin covered with shade cloth in the back bed and harvested my first small zuke so not all the effort is going to waste. My pole beans are looking ok - at least the ones that survived the earwigs when they were small. I'm not a great gardener and I find the clay soil and weather here really difficult to manage.