• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

@TicTac I'm no expert but I've grown them for many years, not this time unfortunately. Not sure what you mean by "I try to take only females once a fruit has been established (does that harm the fruit)"  Once it is picked what fruit are you harming? I love the flowers too and try to balancer my greed for them versus my liking of young zukes. One of my favorite "cucina povera" stories is an employee relating his mom in Michoacan MX having to sell their dairy and using just the squash flowers in quesadilas - flavor + color. 

heidih

heidih

@TicTac I'm no expert but I've grown them for many years, not this time unfortunately. Not sure what you mean by "I try to take only females once a fruit has been established (does that harm the fruit)"  Once it is picked what fruit are you harming? I love the flowers too and try to balancer my greed for them versus my liking of young zukes. One of my favorite "cucina povera" stories is an employee relating his mom in Mchoacan MX having to sell their dairy and using just the squash flowers in quesadilas - flavor + color.