• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

3 hours ago, Toliver said:

I found this article fascinating...

"Plants can smell, now researchers know how"

Years ago I read an article on tomatoes that claimed when a tomato plant was under attack by pests, the plant could release a chemical/scent that alerted nearby tomato plants about the pests. Then the plants would change their chemistry so any bugs dining on the plants would not get any sustaining nutrition and eat themselves to death, basically.

This new article's information as to how this "signalling" happens was enlightening for me and I thought I would share it with the rest of the class.

If that interested you need to get hold of "The Secret Garden" by David Bodanis. That type of chemical communication is very much a part of plant life.  I picked it up at a plant sale on the 25cent table. Blew my mind.

heidih

heidih

3 hours ago, Toliver said:

I found this article fascinating...

"Plants can smell, now researchers know how"

Years ago I read an article on tomatoes that claimed when a tomato plant was under attack by pests, the plant could release a chemical/scent that alerted nearby tomato plants about the pests. Then the plants would change their chemistry so any bugs dining on the plants would not get any sustaining nutrition and eat themselves to death, basically.

This new article's information as to how this "signalling" happens was enlightening for me and I thought I would share it with the rest of the class.

If that interested you need to get hold of "The Secret Garden" by David Bodania. That type of chemical communication is very much a part of plant life.  I picked it up at a plant sale on the 25cent table. Blew my mind.