• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

kayb

kayb

2 hours ago, IndyRob said:

I'd be interested in any 'sage advice' myself.  I have a lot of it on my kitchen counter right now.  Along with a couple handfuls of parsley.

Take a plastic container that's deeper than your sage sprigs are tall. Put about an inch of cornmeal in the bottom. Hold the sage upside down and gently pour cornmeal to surround and cover it. Cover it with a cloth and rubber-band the cloth on, and set it in the fridge. Check your sage after a couple of weeks.

Mama used to do this with flowers, with a mixture of cornmeal and borax. I've tried it with herbs  (obviously without the borax). It works reasonably well.

The other option, of course, is to dehydrate on low heat. We haven't had a killing frost yet, so my sage plant is still thriving.

kayb

kayb

2 hours ago, IndyRob said:

I'd be interested in any 'sage advice' myself.  I have a lot of it on my kitchen counter right now.  Along with a couple handfuls of parsley.

Take a plastic container that's deeper than your sage sprigs are tall. Put about an inch of cornmeal in the bottom. Hold the sage upside down and gently pour cornmeal to surround and cover it. Cover it with a cloth and rubber-band the cloth on, and set it in the fridge. Check your sage after a couple of weeks.

Mama used to do this with flowers, with a mixture of cornmeal and borax. I've tried it with herbs. It works reasonably well.

The other option, of course, is to dehydrate on low heat. We haven't had a killing frost yet, so my sage plant is still thriving.