• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dcarch

dcarch

23 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

We Luddites are led to believe that LED lighting runs very cool compared to incandescent.

LED can be very cool running, but high power LEDs are over driven, so they generate a lot of heat. They require heatsinks and cooling fans, otherwise they get burned out in seconds. On a per watt basis, LEDs produce more light than incandescent lights. Not as much as they claim, because they don't tell you the power inverter/supply/driver electronics also use up some power.

Can you enlighten us in respect to how much heat an LED light would generate vs. incandescent in a greenhouse environment,

You should never use incandescent light for a greenhouse, even some manufacturers call those incandescent lights "grow lights"

I can only offer my personal observations that my LED TV seems to emit almost no heat

That is because there is no such thing as LED TV screens. Also, BTW, there is no such thing as white LEDs.

and Dad wired an insulated doghouse we built so we could heat it with a couple of them in VT.

Your dad is a scientist. He did not heat the doghouse with incandescent light. He was only heating the dog with incandescent IR light. Using infrared, you can get heated  up in freezing air temperature.  You can broil food with the oven door open, for instance.

dcarch

dcarch

dcarch

19 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

We Luddites are led to believe that LED lighting runs very cool compared to incandescent.

LED can be very cool running, but high power LEDs are over driven, so they generate a lot of heat. They require heatsinks and cooling fans, otherwise they get burned out in seconds. On a per watt basis, LEDs produce more light than incandescent lights. Not as much as they claim, because they don't tell you the power inverted/supply/driver electronics also use up some power.

Can you enlighten us in respect to how much heat an LED light would generate vs. incandescent in a greenhouse environment,

You should never use incandescent light for a greenhouse, even some manufacturers call those incandescent lights "grow lights"

I can only offer my personal observations that my LED TV seems to emit almost no heat

That is because there is no such thing as LED TV screens. Also, BTW, there is no such thing as white LEDs.

and Dad wired an insulated doghouse we built so we could heat it with a couple of them in VT.

Your dad is a scientist. He did not heat the doghouse with incandescent light. He was only heating the dog with incandescent IR light. Using infrared, you can get heated  up in freezing air temperature.  You can broil food with the oven door open, for instance.

dcarch