• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

Do you folks think I could make these to freeze, probably fried first, frozen and then reheated in a hot oven.  The pepper will not be 'crisp' but they aren't really when made fresh.  I could make a batch of these puppies for cocktail hour in January.:D

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/fried-jalapeno-poppers-cheese-recipe.html

My motto is if you find the item in the grocer's freezer case, your homemade version will be better coming from your own freezer. I would certainly give it try. I'd fry, cool and lay out on a sheet pan in into the freezer until solidly frozen then package up for long term storage. And the fry, freeze, reheat from frozen in oven method is the way the commercial ones work and they aren't bad at all. I betcha yours will be even better. :)

Edit: I just read the first prep instruction from the Serious Eats site: "Wearing gloves, if you have them ..." So casual and nonchalant. NO! If you do not have gloves to process that many peppers, go get some. Now. I just burnt myself with just three Hatches recently. You do need the gloves.

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

Do you folks think I could make these to freeze, probably fried first, frozen and then reheated in a hot oven.  The pepper will not be 'crisp' but they aren't really when made fresh.  I could make a batch of these puppies for cocktail hour in January.:D

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/fried-jalapeno-poppers-cheese-recipe.html

My motto is if you find the item in the grocer's freezer case, your homemade version will be better coming from your own freezer. I would certainly give it try. I'd fry, cool and lay out on a sheet pan in into the freezer until solidly frozen then package up for long term storage. And the fry, freeze, reheat from frozen in oven method is the way the commercial ones work and they aren't bad at all. I betcha yours will be even better. :)