• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElainaA

ElainaA

I really love where I live but at this time of year I get really jealous of all you in warmer growing zones. Here the only things ready for harvest are garlic scapes (no pictures), some radishes and salad greens.

thumbnail_IMG_20170628_184639.jpg.dd6c09c60f855b28b9b5f9d071d3d4ce.jpg

The rest of the garden is doing fairly well. All the rain has encouraged the flea beetles so the arugula, mizuna and mustard greens are pretty much inedible. And they are starting on the eggplants.  :( I plant my lettuce very thickly as I like to use it as baby greens. That works well most years - as I pick I thin it out enough so I get good sized plants - but this year has been so wet that the lettuce is rotting. Today i pulled about half of it out (for the compost, sadly, not for use) and hope the rest will do better. Soon the flea beetle gnawed arugula and mizuna come out and get re-planted. I put in flea beetle traps that seem to have help. I need to make another set. 

I put in 48 basil plants but it has been so cool and wet that they really haven't taken off - they are sort of just sitting there - not dead but not really growing either. 

ElainaA

ElainaA

I really love where I live but at this time of year I get really jealous of all you in warner growing zones. Here the only things ready for harvest are garlic scapes (no pictures), some radishes and salad greens.

thumbnail_IMG_20170628_184639.jpg.dd6c09c60f855b28b9b5f9d071d3d4ce.jpg

The rest of the garden is doing fairly well. All the rain has encouraged the flea beetles so the arugula, mizuna and mustard greens are pretty much inedible. And they are starting on the eggplants.  :( I plant my lettuce very thickly as I like to use it as baby greens. That works well most years - as I pick I thin it out enough so I get good sized plants - but this year has been so wet that the lettuce is rotting. Today i pulled about half of it out (for the compost, sadly, not for use) and hope the rest will do better. Soon the flea beetle gnawed arugula and mizuna come out and get re-planted. I put in flea beetle traps that seem to have help. I need to make another set. 

I put in 48 basil plants but it has been so cool and wet that they really haven't taken off - they are sort of just sitting there - not dead but not really growing either.