• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

directions

Hi gardeners, I have a few questions about berries.  I love berries!  Gardening, however ... my thumbs are only green when I'm messy with food coloring  9_9

Seattle is what, Zone 5?  The micro-climate here is favorable, things in my yard routinely bloom a week or two before my parents' yard 10 miles north.

I have some blueberry bushes that I should try to revive.  Can blueberries get too hot?  These are on the SW corner of the house and get full sun from noon to sunset, which can be intense.  Plus, there is a section of concrete foundation behind them that holds a lot of heat.  Would some shade cloth help, or do I just need to water them more?  They are 4 or 5 years old and I didn't take very good care to get them established, is it too late? 

I also have some raspberry canes, which have been here forever and manage to survive as long as I clear the morning glory off of them every now and then.  Since I can't do chocolate events in the summer  (well I could, but it's not worth it), I was thinking I should grow more berries - a little gentlewoman urban farming to keep me occupied.  Is there a good way to grow lots of berries with little maintenance?  Raspberries, marionberries, maybe a currant or something, strawberries in one of the raised beds ...  I have two rather old raised beds and plenty of space.

thanks!

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

Hi gardeners, I have a few questions about berries.  I love berries!  Gardening, however ... my thumbs are only green when I'm messy with food coloring  9_9

Seattle is what, Zone 5?  The micro-climate here is favorable, things in my yard routinely bloom a week or two before my parents' yard 10 miles north.

I have some blueberry bushes that I should try to revive.  Can blueberries get too hot?  These are on the SE corner of the house and get full sun from noon to sunset, which can be intense.  Plus, there is a section of concrete foundation behind them that holds a lot of heat.  Would some shade cloth help, or do I just need to water them more?  They are 4 or 5 years old and I didn't take very good care to get them established, is it too late? 

I also have some raspberry canes, which have been here forever and manage to survive as long as I clear the morning glory off of them every now and then.  Since I can't do chocolate events in the summer  (well I could, but it's not worth it), I was thinking I should grow more berries - a little gentlewoman urban farming to keep me occupied.  Is there a good way to grow lots of berries with little maintenance?  Raspberries, marionberries, maybe a currant or something, strawberries in one of the raised beds ...  I have two rather old raised beds and plenty of space.

thanks!