• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 10)

liuzhou

Often, when I decide to have linguini with white clam sauce, I go with Stop & Shop chopped sea clams. Tonight, I did so, but added a garnish of the fresh mollusks to the mix. This is a meal we both enjoy greatly. It includes a heavy hand with garlic, some finely chopped shallots, chopped parsley, olive oil, and white wine, all reduced by half before the chopped clams are added. The washed fresh littlenecks go into the simmering sauce at the same time as the pasta goes into the boiling water. I have found that the clams will open at the same time the pasta is done.

HC

IMG_0428.JPGIMG_0430.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 14

1 hour ago, HungryChris said:

Often, when I decide to have linguini with white clam sauce, I go with Stop & Shop chopped sea clams. Tonight, I did so, but added a garnish of the fresh mollusks to the mix. This is a meal we both enjoy greatly. It includes a heavy hand with garlic, some finely chopped shallots, chopped parsley, olive oil, and white wine, all reduced by half before the chopped clams are added. The washed fresh littlenecks go into the simmering sauce at the same time as the pasta goes into the boiling water. I have found that the clams will open at the same time the pasta is done.

HC

IMG_0428.JPGIMG_0430.JPG

Ahhh, linguine in clam sauce. Many fond memories of Little Italy, a Mom and Pop Italian joint in Memphis back in the 70s. How I loved that place.

I had a surf and turf of sorts: steak tartare and scallops. Steak tartare was via the ChefSteps recipe for same; scallops by Paul Raphael's. With some cheese (Emmenthaler, Cabot cloth-bound cheddar, and Parrano). And pickles and olives, because, well, one needs a vegetable and some fruit, right?

surf n turn 1111.jpg

• Like 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 hours ago, Ann_T said:

Anna, the recipe is on my blog.   Here is the link. Salisbury Steak Recipe

Thank you so much. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Sheep meat is hard to come by here in south China. It is very popular in the north and west, but although there are many lamb/mutton noodle shops around town, finding the meat in the market or supermarket is unusual. So, when I saw this yesterday, at no small expense, I grabbed it.

lamb leg.jpg

lamb meat.jpg

and spent a happy while detaching the meat from the bone and dicing it. I got 500 g of bone/skin free meat.  Half the haul is now in the freezer for another day.

lamb diced.jpg

The bones, skins and trimmings were used to make a stock which is now sleeping in the fridge. Tomorrow morning I will de-fat it and freeze it. Not sure what I will use it for.

Tonight I took just under half the meat and slowly braised it for a couple of hours in red wine with onion, chilli and garlic. And a touch of ground cumin. I would have added more veg but didn't have any - and it's cold and pouring with rain so I didn't want to go out.

Added chick peas (garbanzo beans) and mint from the balcony (perhaps the last of the year's).  Served it with plain boiled new potatoes and a selection of fried mushrooms (not pictured).

dinner.jpg

Thinking about a curry for the rest of the meat, but want to make some yoghurt first. I need to buy cow juice tomorrow,

• Like 13

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 11/11/2016 at 7:49 PM, shain said:

Harak Osbao inspired by @Nicolai (At this thread). I've supplemented the brown lentils with some split red lentils, since they cook much faster, they dissolved into the stew and made it thicker while the brown lentils stayed intact. Tamarind water and a small amount of cumin, chili and anise seeds. Instead of frying pieces of pita bread, I've kept some of the pasta (ptitim actually), soaked it in cold water, then proceeded to fry it. The texture is very similar to fried flat bread, but I thought it looked nice and being very small, it mixed well with the lentils. The rest of the pasta was cooked normally and mixed into the stew. Tee addition of pomegranate kernels is however what makes this dish, they balance the sour tamarind and earthy lentil very well.
So thanks Nicolai, it was quite delicious!

20161111_145325.jpg20161111_145321.jpg

I've also made a quick-flatbread with zaatar and yogurt - that's a thick batter, leavened with baking powder and baked in a pan until brown and crisp from outside. It turned out very nice and flavorful. Also very quick to make.
Served warm with labneh and tomatoes.

20161111_145434.jpg20161111_145340.jpg20161111_145500.jpg

Brilliant and glad that not only you managed to follow through the recipe but you added your own twist with the split lentils.

.......and indeed, some mix cooked pasta and fried pasta......so kudos for you.

Most importantly, you enjoyed the dish. 

• Like 2

Excellent leg of LAMB, poked with garlic slices and rosemary, olive oil rubbed. Sides roasted potatoes started in the Instant Pot finished in the lamb fat, minted peas and Greek Salad:

14962568_10153959871282703_9161029889353893427_n.jpg

14963165_10153959871287703_1267797816642509551_n.jpg

15056373_10153959871272703_1426625944737332203_n.jpg

14956583_10153959905682703_2327115899285371525_n.jpg

Edited to correct that we do not eat leg of LEG :)

Edited by Mmmpomps (log)
  • Like 15

1 hour ago, Nicolai said:

Brilliant and glad that not only you managed to follow through the recipe but you added your own twist with the split lentils.

.......and indeed, some mix cooked pasta and fried pasta......so kudos for you.

Most importantly, you enjoyed the dish. 

Thank you, I appreciate that very much :) 

~ Shai N.

Wonderful looking and interesting meals everyone!

We had a curry feast last night.

Basmati rice done in the IP; grilled lamb leg steaks; stuffed okra; stuffed baby eggplants; dahl; cucumber raita; curried shrimp; and long beans in a yogurt sauce.  Lemon squares for dessert.  There were loads of leftovers so everyone got a takeout container for today's lunch.

I tried a couple of recipes from The Indian Family Kitchen and they turned out very nicely.

DSC01741.jpgDSC01742.jpg

• Like 15

On 2016-11-11 at 6:27 AM, mgaretz said:

Made char siu in the air fryer again, this time with cubes of pork shoulder.  Came out very nice.  Made it into a stir fry with snow peas, mushrooms, carrots, onion and bean sprouts.  Sorry about the messy plate. I was half-way through the first helping before remembering to snap a pic.

char-siu-shoulder.jpg

LOVE those char-bits!

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Family out for the Remembrance Day weekend.

Had a 7 kg turkey in brine for about 36 hours in a cooler with ice.

Cooked it in the Big Easy for 2.5 hours.

Dressing was cooked in the oven. Our grandson doesn't like poultry - over-did the chicken nuggets as a kid, so I did a single-rib roast for him
Cherry (frozen cherries) pie in a new 10 1/2 " platter I just bought - perfect for our family!

Big Easy Turkey0012.jpg   

Biig Easy Turkey Carved0015.jpg

Single rib Prime Roast0016.jpg

Cherry Pie1492.jpg

• Like 17

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

17 hours ago, Ann_T said:

Anna, the recipe is on my blog.   Here is the link. Salisbury Steak Recipe

It's been years since I had Salisbury steak.  I'm looking forward to making the recipe.  It looks like the sort of thing I like where I can make the whole recipe and then freeze individual portions.  I'll have to buy my first ever bottle of green pepper corns.

• Like 2

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

20 minutes ago, Arey said:

It's been years since I had Salisbury steak.  I'm looking forward to making the recipe.  It looks like the sort of thing I like where I can make the whole recipe and then freeze individual portions.  I'll have to buy my first ever bottle of green pepper corns.

I'll be skipping the green peppercorns only because I want to recover a memory and green peppercorns didn't have a role to play.  Like one of the comments to the recipe I want the nostalgia of a TV dinner.   After that I may be willing to Chef it up a bit.xD  Thanks for the recipe @Ann_T and don't mind my teasing 

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I've only had it as a TV dinner and that was years ago.  In order not to dilute the nostalgia I'll omit the green peppercorns.  I still see it in the freezer cases at the supermarket, but it's always paired with something I don't regard as suitable, such as mac and cheese.  Why not throw in some lima beans to make it truly repellent?

• Like 5

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

2 minutes ago, Arey said:

I've only had it as a TV dinner and that was years ago.  In order not to dilute the nostalgia I'll omit the green peppercorns.  I still see it in the freezer cases at the supermarket, but it's always paired with something I don't regard as suitable, such as mac and cheese.  Why not throw in some lima beans to make it truly repellent?

Can't stop laughing.  I am so with you! 

My 2004 eG Blog

last night I made a wonderful Cioppino for dinner.  Lots of in-shell shrimp, sea scallops, lovely big slabs of cod, fennel bulb, lots of garlic, clam juice and all the other stuff.  No, I don't use clams or mussels because I don't need them.

I can't wait for dinnertime so I can have leftovers!

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, ninagluck said:

@liamsaunt, would you mind sharing your cornbread recipe? we don't have a cornbread tradition and I am still experimenting

That could be a whole thread. Perhaps it should be.

Cakey vs crumbly.  Sweet or not. etc etc