• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 10)

liuzhou

Cauliflower and naan was centre stage at our supper as well.

Pulled out a bag of the AAA boneless blade roast that I had cut up for stew. Made Beef Vindaloo with Patak paste. Steamed some cauliflower and kale. Sauteed some quartered mushrooms in a scoopful of the vindaloo juice. Hubby had real naan, and I had low-carb ones made with coconut flour. The vindaloo was a slow braise in the oven after browning.

Beef Vindaloo0005.jpg

• Like 14

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Pan seared strip steak (I didn't ask which town) pulled at 50 deg C. beautifully crusted -- copper has its privileges -- sautéed mushrooms (washed), broccolini, baguette, Boursin, bearnaise.  Bottle of Nebbiolo.

After the requisite photographs of which I have no energy to post, I sat down to dine on cold steak, cold mushrooms, cold broccolini, cold, congealed béarnaise, cold Boursin (well, OK, the Boursin wasn't cold).  Enough food to sate two or three of me.

Then, after washing up two heavy copper pots, I now have switched to rye.

• Like 10

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I had to prepare some mini calzones for a potluck. For some reason I chose to put a mutton keema filling with peas, which led to some surprises at the potluck ...

Of course there was a lot of dough left (seemed almost by design ...) so Pizza night. Hawaii and Olives/Enoki. Together with a G&T a complete meal.

WP_20161106_10_46_56_Rich.jpg

WP_20161106_18_35_44_Rich.jpg

WP_20161106_18_47_49_Rich.jpg

• Like 13

This was dinner on Sunday night in a small town called Bicheno on the east coast of Tasmania. 

Seafood chowder and wood fired pizza with prosciutto, olives, capers, chilli, anchovies, rocket and parmesan. 

All delicious. Oh, and a Devils Corner Sauvignon Blanc.

IMG_2912.JPGIMG_2913.JPG

• Like 19

image.jpeg

Nostalgia in a bowl. Bubble and squeak.  I managed to do just about everything wrong and still had a tasty meal. I cooked the potatoes and cabbage in the Instant pot but miscalculated the ratio of potatoes to cabbage,  I added too much liquid when I was mashing the potatoes and I attempted to brown it in a nonstick pan.   A cast iron pan would've been a much better choice.  Never mind there is lots left over and I can have another shot tonight at getting it right. 

• Like 16

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I've been feeling a bit delicate all day. Nothing serious, I'm sure. But I couldn't face anything too complicated for dinner.

I had a couple of duck eggs left, the fridge donated some spinach that needed using and there were a few boiled new potatoes left over from yesterday.

So a largish spinach omelette with buttery fried new potatoes.

spinach omelette1.jpg

And in case you think I imagined the spinach, here is the thing half way through my eating it.  Sprinkled with sea salt and pepper.

spinach omelette2.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 16

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Whether or not I will ever attempt your omelet remains to be seen but I will be adopting your phrase. I often feel a little delicate but lacked an adequate vocabulary to properly express my condition.

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

It's election night. Dinner is wine, and snacky stuff. I have good Genoa salami, several kinds of cheese, olives, pickles. 

Did I say wine?

Started out finishing off a bottle of pinot grigio that was in the fridge from last night. Went to a new bottle of Orin Swift Prisoner, which I commend to all y'all as an excellent, excellent red blend. (At $40-ish a bottle, it ain't cheap, but it's election night. It calls for the good stuff.) I have yet to get to the snacky stuff.

• Like 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

30 minutes ago, kayb said:

It's election night. Dinner is wine, and snacky stuff. I have good Genoa salami, several kinds of cheese, olives, pickles. 

Did I say wine?

Started out finishing off a bottle of pinot grigio that was in the fridge from last night. Went to a new bottle of Orin Swift Prisoner, which I commend to all y'all as an excellent, excellent red blend. (At $40-ish a bottle, it ain't cheap, but it's election night. It calls for the good stuff.) I have yet to get to the snacky stuff.

Yeah, I'm still on only wine, too.  I feel we deserve it tonight lol.

• Like 6

I had ground about 9 pounds of a mix of chuck and rump roast yesterday  into 6 oz burgers for burgers and what not. 

Tonight was burgers with Limburger cheese as we watch the election results while holding our nose.  Just kidding on the Limburger.  Home fries was the side for the burger.  I'm having tremendous results with par boiling the cut potatoes and roughing them up before roasting in the oven.  Something I picked up here @ eG 

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 6

19 hours ago, Duvel said:

I had to prepare some mini calzones for a potluck. For some reason I chose to put a mutton keema filling with peas, which led to some surprises at the potluck ...

Of course there was a lot of dough left (seemed almost by design ...) so Pizza night. Hawaii and Olives/Enoki. Together with a G&T a complete meal.

WP_20161106_10_46_56_Rich.jpg

WP_20161106_18_35_44_Rich.jpg

WP_20161106_18_47_49_Rich.jpg

Great looking dishes.

• Like 2

I made brownies, which came out great and are almost gone. We're all sick to our stomachs at the moment, but I'm not sure it's the brownies!

Edited to add: since this is the dinner thread and not the baking thread, I also made pumpkin soup from the beautiful pumpkin I got at my CSA's last distribution, and grilled cheese sandwiches on "my" bread. The soup really came out good, it's the first time I ever used a pumpkin for anything other than a jackolantern. 

Edited by cakewalk
Added dinner (log)
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

Common theme here. Red wine.

Indeed.  Leftover eggplant from our library's food and wine event.  Dregs of two bottles of red wine.  May switch to a bosom caresser.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou