• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 10)

liuzhou

9 hours ago, Duvel said:

Blue cheese burger with fries. 

Oddly, that's a combination I was never able to get behind. I like burgers just fine, and I love blue cheese, but to me blue cheese on a burger tastes exactly like beef that is sadly past its prime. 

• Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 11/1/2016 at 8:51 PM, Norm Matthews said:

I tried two new (to me) recipes tonight.  One was similar to the Martini Chicken that I've often made, but this one was easier.  I added mushrooms to the sauce on a whim.  The other one is cornbread from East Coast Grill in Cambridge, Mass.  We liked both. 

East Coast Grill was one of my favorite restaurants back in the day.  It was such a fun atmosphere.  We did New Year's Eve 2000 there.  I still remember the macomber turnip and oyster chowder.  It's closed now I think, the original chef sold it some years ago and we never went back after that.

On 11/2/2016 at 5:40 PM, Anna N said:

image.jpg

An unusual treatment, at least for me, of eggs.  Eggs with mint and yogurt.  Click

This has been on my to-try list.  I'll note your suggestions for improving it.

Last night I made a recipe my mom gave me for grilled turkey meatballs with a ginger-chili sauce.  I served them with rice and bok choy and mushrooms.  The flavors were nice but the texture of the meatballs needs improving, they were too dense for my taste.  I liked the overall flavors enough to try and cook it again sometime with changes to the meatball recipe.  

turkey meatballs.jpg

• Like 19

37 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Oddly, that's a combination I was never able to get behind. I like burgers just fine, and I love blue cheese, but to me blue cheese on a burger tastes exactly like beef that is sadly past its prime. 

Strange. I think the combination works pretty well, especially with medium-rare burgers. Think "pave d'onglet avec sauce Roquefort" as a classic bistro dish, and now in a burger bun ...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Strange. I think the combination works pretty well, especially with medium-rare burgers. Think "pave d'onglet avec sauce Roquefort" as a classic bistro dish, and now in a burger bun ...

Yup. I know it's a common and well-loved combination, but I just can't choke it down. (Shrug) What can I say...some people even dislike asparagus or cilantro. :P

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Sometimes  life gets in the way of posting (but not of taking pictures)

Roasted chicken with tomato chutney, sautéed broccolini and roasted potatoes.

DSC01801.jpg

This tasted a lot better than it looks: Gratin of eggplant, roasted peppers, roasted garlic, tomato sauce, fontina and parmesan with grilled polenta. And a salad.

DSC01806.jpg

Pasta with some of the left over roasted chicken, lots of garlic, red and yellow peppers and mushrooms. And salad (of course).

DSC01807.jpg

A Mark Bittman recipe - red cabbage and kielbasa cooked in beer. With sweet potatoes mashed with maple syrup. Guess what? There was also a salad.

DSC01802.jpg

• Like 17

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

The Kansas City Star had a grilled pork chops recipe from a BBQ hall of fame member.  It was (brined?) without any salt and the sauce was a combination of apple sauce, cranberry sauce and maple syrup.  The coleslaw and potato salad recipes were supposed to be light but they tasted too light for my taste so I added a little mayo.

DSCN3821.jpg

• Like 12

Ginger Glazed Pork Chop, stir-fried bok choy, and finally, roasted pumpkin! Had to wait until Halloween was over before I could cut one up. It kept well outside in the single digit temperatures. I was frustrated on Monday as there was not a single pumpkin to be found all because of Halloween.
I chunked it and roasted pieces with olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme. Anticipation was better then reality. Might have enjoyed it more if I could have put brown sugar on it? However, I've had my feed, so the rest can go to compost.

Ginger Glazed Pork Chops0003.jpg

• Like 13

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I ordered some really nice deli meats--they freeze very well and I like to have them on hand during the holiday/hunting season.  So, it was just in time for National Sandwich Day yesterday.  Salami, spicy ham (not spicy at all so dunno why they call it that) and bologna with smoked cheese and jalapeño mustard and homemade mayo.

And some deviled eggs topped with jalapeño olives.

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

• Like 13

@liuzhou, we may be on opposite sides of the globe, but we were thinking alike when it came to dinner. Brined, roasted chicken, potato salad, sauteed squash with onions. The squash wasn't very good; I think it's so late in the year the skins are getting tough. I suspect I will discard the remaining ones I have in the fridge.

Another recent dinner was my first attempt at ma po tofu. I had no minced pork, so I cubed a pork loin chop in a very small dice and used that. It was a prepared sauce from the international market, but I thought it was quite good. With it, roasted eggplant and squash in a miso-honey sauce, and brown rice. The leftovers will likely go into fried rice.

ma po tofu.jpg

• Like 9

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

31 minutes ago, kayb said:

@liuzhou, we may be on opposite sides of the globe, but we were thinking alike when it came to dinner. Brined, roasted chicken, potato salad, sauteed squash with onions. The squash wasn't very good; I think it's so late in the year the skins are getting tough. I suspect I will discard the remaining ones I have in the fridge.

Another recent dinner was my first attempt at ma po tofu. I had no minced pork, so I cubed a pork loin chop in a very small dice and used that. It was a prepared sauce from the international market, but I thought it was quite good. With it, roasted eggplant and squash in a miso-honey sauce, and brown rice. The leftovers will likely go into fried rice.

Well as they say "Great minds think alike." Unfortunately, they also say "Fools seldom differ."

As to your mapo doufu, I think that pre-minced pork in China ( I never buy it) is done less finely than it is done in the UK. Not sure about elsewhere. In fact, meat is rarely minced as such in China. It is always chopped, sometimes theatrically with two cleavers. More like a traditional French haché. I never mince anything. So, your loin chop is possibly more "authentic" than not.

Except, classic Sichuan mapo doufu uses beef. An unusual exception from the pork obsession otherwise displayed. But there are millions of Sichuan people using pork - it's half the price or less.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

image.jpeg

Inspired by a recipe in the book, Roots, pasta with peas, parsnips and pancetta.  I am a huge fan of alliteration.  

• Like 15

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Alliteration is a wonderful thing on the commercial menu. :)

I can remember having an extra couple of cases of romaine, and making rosemary-romaine soup. It went pretty well. So did the chicken and chestnuts, come to think of it....

• Like 6

I am in training for our library's annual food and wine event tomorrow night.  Dinner was a most unctuous grilled rib pork chop, CSO roast potatoes, 30 second green beans.  Lots of rosemary.

The MR pressure vessel was uncomfortably cold even though my oven mitts.  Dangerous work but someone has to do it.  At least this time I did not burn my hands or pull off any skin.

Dessert is a glass of yellow Chartreuse V.E.P.

• Like 8

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

12 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

Last day of the steak sale at the local market. It's steak night again. Plus some blistered shishito peppers.

HC

IMG_0359.JPG

Haven't had any this year from my gardening optometrist. Whenever I've done these peppers on the BBQ, they never seem to make it into the house.
Tonight was another $4.77/lb AAA prime rib roast I picked up a couple of weeks ago. It was excellent - roasted at 275 until 130 internal.
Eaten with mashed cauliflower with chipotle-lime butter (Safeway) and steamed chayote and carrot.

Prime Rib0003.jpg

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 13

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

We had an excellent takeout meal from Alpaca Peruvian Charcoal Chicken. The sides were yucca frita and a very nice salad of spring mix, tomato and cucumber. Unfortunately, they seemed to have tamed down the heat in their green sauce. There are several complaints on the Yelp website about this sauce being too spicy, but I liked it the way it was. It's still very good, though, and I guess they have to aim at the largest market they can get.

Both of us ate for under twenty bucks, and we have half the chicken left for tomorrow's dinner. You cannot beat this place, if you're in the area.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

a RoastBeef sandwich with :

early dinner or so.

RBSand.jpg

although I have very sharp knives , Ive succumbed and got the 

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/chef-39-schoice-reg-international-electric-food-slicer/1040425122?Keyword=chef+choice+slicer

this meat is too good not to properly make use of 

the slicer is covered here   Ill get the smooth blade in a few days

I now use ba-tempke  green tomatoes instead of half sours      very nice sliced thin.

• Like 11

@rotuts

Your sandwich looks amazingly good. Your decision to buy a meat slicer...not so much. But since you have done a lot of woodworking you are probably much more coordinated than I.  I would like to leave this world with the heavenly choir singing "Ten Wrinkly Fingers and Ten Wrinkly Toes".  

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

never thought of using my feet !   nice backup plan !  thanks

BTW  Ive been to a few large woodworking shows :  high end equipment  , jigs etc

lots of people wandering around with missing fingers  .  its true !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 6

A slab of chicken breast, from a whole, farm-raised bird brined and then roasted in the CSO. I continue to marvel at how moist and toothsome a brined, farm-raised, CSO-roasted chicken is.

chicken 11-5.jpg

With potato salad and squash.

• Like 9

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com