• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 10)

liuzhou

Meet Herb the chook. I made a paste of parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, olive oil and sea salt, then stuffed it under his skin. Gravy was made with pan juices, stock and mustard. The sides are roasted potatoes, parsnips, butternut pumpkin and garlic, plus a sauté with cabbage, sprouts and bacon. 

IMG_2870.JPGIMG_2872.JPG

• Like 19

@sartoric

I am certain the chicken was delicious but I'm not certain I would have any room for it after I dug into those vegetables.

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@shain

I am curious about the name orzotto and its connection to pearl barley. To me orzo is a pasta (one of my favourites) and you can treat it like rice so shouldn't risotto made with barley be barlotto?  Hmmmmmm

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

54 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@shain

I am curious about the name orzotto and its connection to pearl barley. To me orzo is a pasta (one of my favourites) and you can treat it like rice so shouldn't risotto made with barley be barlotto?  Hmmmmmm

'Orzo' is barely, 'riso' is rice. The small pasta named 'orzo' is named so after it's resemblance to barley, but since it's also similar to rice (more so IMO), it is also named 'risoni'.  I'm still working on my Italian skills, but as much as I know, 'barlo' is not word in it.

This gets more confusing in Hebrew, where 'orez' is rice (barley is "se'ora"). The orzo pasta is more common toasted, as a shape of ptitim (Israeli couscous). I'm actually not a fan of this shape of ptitim - I like the ring shape best, stars second, then the common spheres, and the rice shaped last (They all taste the same, but those shapes are way cooler :D).

• Like 4

~ Shai N.

6 minutes ago, chefmd said:

So much for two meals on a weekend! Had breakfast, late lunch, and for dinner roasted chicken with red lentils cooked with chicken stock

image.jpg

does that make it lunch or third breakfast?   inquiring minds want to know...........

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

6 hours ago, Paul Bacino said:

Angus Beef  

30647787655_c345e92ee8_o.jpg

Cooked reverse  sear/   Weight about 3#

Pre salted 4 hrs before

30036582174_982aedc7e0_o.jpg

One of my best efforts

30667954805_ca86b162f9_o.jpg

I believe I can get there in about 18 hours on a straight through drive........

my dinner wasn't so good but then I'm missing my husband and haven't heard from him in 24 hours(he's too busy on that ship).  potato au gratin with extra cheddar - if there is such a thing  - and a sweet potato I needed to use up.

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

4 hours ago, shain said:

'Orzo' is barely, 'riso' is rice. The small pasta named 'orzo' is named so after it's resemblance to barley, but since it's also similar to rice (more so IMO), it is also named 'risoni'.  I'm still working on my Italian skills, but as much as I know, 'barlo' is not word in it.

Unlike Barolo...

Dinner here is intended to be Fagioli e Tonno courtesy of Rancho Gordo and Callipo.  The Marcella beans are cooling and I'm still waiting for tonight's bread to proof.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

We had our 41st Anniversary celebration dinner a day early at the new Perry's Steakhouse and Grille in Webster. Yes, we got married on Halloween!

The view of the kitchen from our table.

IMG_0043.JPG

Warm loaf of bread with whipped butter.

IMG_0039.JPG

Cherry Pepper Calamari Starter

IMG_0038.JPG

I had the Filet Perry - 6 oz, topped with jumbo lump crabmeat and served with steamed asparagus

IMG_0040.JPG

My husband had the 14 oz Prime Ribeye (sorry for the dark photo; the lighting was not as good over his plate).

IMG_0041.JPG

We shared the Lyonnaise Potatoes.

IMG_0042.JPG

• Like 21

Not the best color balance but a pretty darn heart healthy dinner of seafood and salad9_9.  Fried soft-shell crabs, oysters and green tomatoes served with smoked corn mayo (Vivian Howard recipe), remoulade and mixed salad green mix.

rP1050331.jpg

• Like 13

Plan B:  dinner now looks more like tomatoes.  The Marcella beans are still quite hot and won't be cool by the time the bread is ready.

There are worse things in life.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Needed time today trying to get the house / yard decorated for Halloween, so I slow-cooked a lamb shoulder roast on a bed of rosemary and garlic cloves.

I had carved three pumpkins then decided I should roast pumpkin with sage as a side. Checked the 4 major stores in our city, and someone had bought the gazillions of pumpkins!

Made do with some chunks I had carved out for the jack'o'lanterns, added some broccoli, shallots, and radishes to the pan. Drizzled with olive oil and fresh sage leaves. Thought we needed more veg, so I nuked a spaghetti squash as well. Fresh mint sauce from the pot on the kitchen window.

Gravy was from the bottom of the roasting dish with much of the fat skimmed off. Lovely rosemary fragrance                                               Roasting Vegs0022.jpgLamb Prepped0005.jpg                 Roasted Vegetables0028.jpgLamb Roast Sliced0024.jpg

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 15

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Lovely meals everyone, and happy anniversary to @robirdstx!

Here at chez TftC we started with a huge Caesar salad and I followed it up with baked mussels.

I mostly followed Marcella Hazan's recipe, and had planned on thawing my frozen Green Lips on the half shell in cold water and then broiling as Marcella directs because she was working with fresh mussels. Then I read the recipe on the back of the frozen mussels box and it was kinda similar to the seasoned garlic/herb/bread crumb topping I'd already prepared. Both recipes called for olive oil, but I prefer melted butter with shellfish, so that's what went into my topping.

The mussels box recipe said to bake them from frozen for 15 minutes, so that's what I did. Unfortunately, they failed to state what temp. I started out at 450 F/232 C on the top rack, and then reduced to 350 F/177 C and moved them to the bottom rack after I checked and the topping was browning too quickly. I pulled them a couple or so minutes before the prescribed time when I could see juices oozing into the shells. These were delectable, and we like them even better than the other half of this batch that I had steamed in wine. I served deseeded lemon wedges with these.

Frozen New Zealand mussels cook up to perfect deliciousness, so thanks for the recommendations I got here. As usual, I have eG to thank for expanding my culinary horizons. I will definitely purchase frozen NZ Green Lip mussels again.

• Like 9

> ^ . . ^ <

Eggplant and peppers

eggplant.jpg

Rice pilaf with apricots and barberries

rice pilaf.jpg

Chicken shawarma

shawarma.jpg

I also made homemade pita bread and there was a big chopped salad, but did not get a picture of those before they were eaten.

• Like 19

This is not exactly what I had planned.

dinner.jpg

Pan fried cod fillets topped with two king prawns which happened to be passing, yellow bell peppers and spicy red-cooked* fresh whole straw mushrooms. The yellow pepper was meant to be puréed broccoli,  but I burnt it >:(.

Served with rice.

* braised in soy sauce with sugar, chili and star anise.

• Like 11

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

A typical meal in Baden-Württemberg state in south western Germany. Schupfnudeln is a kind of dumplings and it's easy to make. In Germany the dumplings are easily available so not sure if people still make them at home. You can eat them simply boiled or fry them in Speck fat (after they've been boiled).

L5QSRYG.jpg

Fried in Speck fat, of course. There's also Speck and Sauerkraut in it. The name in German is simply "Schupfnudeln mit Speck und Sauerkraut" (dumplings with Speck and Sauerkraut). I eat it every time I go to Germany.

65ZHhrv.jpg

• Like 12

2 hours ago, BonVivant said:

A typical meal in Baden-Württemberg state in south western Germany. Schupfnudeln is a kind of dumplings and it's easy to make. In Germany the dumplings are easily available so not sure if people still make them at home. You can eat them simply boiled or fry them in Speck fat (after they've been boiled).

L5QSRYG.jpg

Fried in Speck fat, of course. There's also Speck and Sauerkraut in it. The name in German is simply "Schupfnudeln mit Speck und Sauerkraut" (dumplings with Speck and Sauerkraut). I eat it every time I go to Germany.

65ZHhrv.jpg

Looks great - would love to hear the recipe for the dumplings.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ninagluck said:

@BonVivant you can also call them "Bubespitzle" ;-)

Yes, I know. It's a silly name for this dumpling. I have never seen it on menus but they mention it in German cookery books.

Do you only eat the sweet version of it in Austria?

And for the rest of us, "Bubespitzle" means "a little boy's willy". The shape of the "noodle" resembles it.

• Like 2