• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 10)

liuzhou

5 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Good question. I'm thinking a cheese sauce.

I am thinking cheese sauce over cauliflower.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@BonVivant

The duck breasts sound fabulous and I cannot help but admire your presentation skills. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

B'Day night for my Number 2's.  My kids always ask me to make Mexican food for there B'days.

Corn Salsa

IMG_20161027_185947.jpg

Whats left of the Chili Con Quesso

IMG_20161027_185956.jpg

Sopapilla. Had someone fry them for me.  Not the best batch I've done.

IMG_20161027_190009.jpg

Rice

IMG_20161027_193406.jpg

Chicken Enchilada's with Salsa Verde

IMG_20161027_194840.jpg

Cheers.  Poor lighting on these.  I had more important things to do.

FB_IMG_1477566171567(1).jpg

• Like 24

No Pasta Mac'n' Cheese is indeed made with cauliflower.
I chopped up a head of cauliflower, sprinkle on a couple TBSP of water, cover and nuke until soft but not mushy - usually 8 - 10 minutes with a stir after 8 minutes.
Mix in 3 tbsp cream cheese, a splash of cream, 1 tbsp of mustard of choice ( I use whole grain), and 1 cup of shredded cheese. I had shredded Swiss to use up. Had 3 slices of sharp cheddar left in a package so put those on top.

Bake at 350 until bubbly - 25 - 30 minutes.
There are lots of recipes out there but I found this was super easy.
Tonight, I made low-carb BBQ sauce on slow roast pork side ribs. Roasted a head of green cauliflower, and sauteed a couple of bell peppers with a few leftover mushrooms and Spanish onion.
Great to see you posting again, Ann_T!
Keto Ribs & Green Cauliflower0003.jpg

• Like 16

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Comfort food.  Mashed potato, for which I paused to bless Herve This.  Thawed frozen petit peas -- seven minutes steamed.  Broiled CSO fifteen minute sous vide chicken thigh.  Crispy skin, fine flesh.  A true convenience dish if there ever was one.  Methode rotuts.  Much methode rotuts.

Dessert:  barrel strength, single barrel Whistlepig.  No marshmallows were harmed.

• Like 7

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

We had pork blade steak. Considering this is cut from the shoulder, and we are used to cooking the whole shoulder cut for hours either on a low smoker, or braising it, it is amazing this pork steak cut is not tough. I really like it. It's well marbled, with plenty of fat around the edges and between the muscles that renders and crisps up nicely under the broiler. I used a nice Cajun seasoning from Spice Treasures brand. I buy it at Dollar General, which unbelievably also has my favorite oregano available in the area. I have two other brands of Cajun seasoning I don't like as well, and they were more expensive. I noticed that the Spice Treasures Cajun seasoning has dextrose as an ingredient. That is one of the ingredients of Magic Browning Powder. There's no sodium bicarb in my seasoning, but it still seemed to help my steak brown quicker without it, and without drying out or overcooking.

We had this with the largest sweet potato I have ever seen, and I live in the largest producing area in the US. It weighed 2.61 pounds/1.18 kilo at the checkout. From the way the skin came off under my veg brush and general appearance, it was this year's crop. I think one of the governor's reports said about 35% of the sweets had been harvested before Hurricane Matthew came through and drowned a lot of the rest of the crop, which are rotting in muddy fields. If the specimens on offer the day I picked this one up are any representation, it would have been a banner year. Such a shame! 

I was a little afraid it would be woody or something, but this large boy was very, very fine eating. I just nuked it at reduced power for a longer time, so as to cook through to the middle and split and mashed it in the skins and topped with butter and salt as usual. It was only 89 cents a pound, purchased on October 20. That was after Matthew, but it takes time for prices to respond to shortages. I won't be a bit surprised to pay a lot more for the next sweet potatoes. 

I also heated up some rosemary/olive oil homemade cornbread from the freezer and cooked up some frozen baby lima beans to go with the meal. Sorry, lima bean haters, but I really like 'em. :)

• Like 10

> ^ . . ^ <

7 hours ago, Dejah said:

No Pasta Mac'n' Cheese is indeed made with cauliflower.

My favorite name for that one is "mock-aroni" and cheese. 

Proved to be a big hit with the grandbabies. 

• Like 6

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Lazy dinner: Sliced steak with caramelized onions, dijonnaise, cheddar and pickled carrots on a baguette. 10 min to make, 5 min to eat. More time to watch "The little mermaid" with someone much smaller ...

WP_20161028_19_33_30_Rich.jpg

• Like 15

I haven't been finding time to post so here are a couple of recent dinners:

Last night: pork tenderloin medallions with a balsamic/honey/garlic sauce and wild rice with roasted squash (gold nugget), leeks and corn.

DSC01786.jpg

Chicken with vinegar and peppers (from the booklet that came with the CSO) and rice. There was also a salad somewhere.

DSC01767.jpg

Pork chop with leeks in a mustard sauce, parsley potatoes and apple/celery/walnut salad (no mayo so it's not Waldorf)

DSC01777.jpg

• Like 19

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Thanks Dejah, I'll definitely be giving that a try. 

Mixed up a batch of bread dough on Monday and left it in the fridge until late Wednesday afternoon.  Used some of the

dough to make a large pizza. Baked on a stone on the grill at over 700°F.

Simple toppings.  Half with three cheeses for my son and the other half just fresh mozzarella and green olives.

Pizza October 26th, 2016.jpgPizza October 26th, 2016 1.jpg

• Like 18

7 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Thanks Dejah, I'll definitely be giving that a try. 

Mixed up a batch of bread dough on Monday and left it in the fridge until late Wednesday afternoon.  Used some of the

dough to make a large pizza. Baked on a stone on the grill at over 700°F.

Simple toppings.  Half with three cheeses for my son and the other half just fresh mozzarella and green olives.

Pizza October 26th, 2016.jpgPizza October 26th, 2016 1.jpg

Looks great... How long did it take to cook?  

The mushrooms (Pioppino) took the most time to be sorted out. Spätburgunder (German pinot noir) from Pfalz, Germany. You probably keep seeing this kind of wine glasses in my photos... this specific style is called Roemer. The most popular and traditional wine glasses used all over Germany. I broke all the green stemmed ones, the most traditional colour for these glasses. (Light reading: a short history of the glasses here.)

yZy3Lyg.jpg

There were also roasted potatoes with whole garlic (finishing up in the oven whilst these photos were being made), reduced sauce, and chervil. But here's the minimalist version:

Dac6JGS.jpg

-----------------------------------------------

On 27/10/2016 at 9:14 PM, Anna N said:

@BonVivant

The duck breasts sound fabulous and I cannot help but admire your presentation skills. 

Thanks! My eyes want something, too. Even if I'm not photographing the food I still make it look nice. Am always working on my food, my photography, and myself. For myself.

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 14

image.jpeg

Homemade chicken nuggets and mashed sweet potatoes.   Chicken nuggets made with chicken thighs which is so much better than chicken breasts in my opinion. 

• Like 15

My 2004 eG Blog

18 minutes ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg

Homemade chicken nuggets and mashed sweet potatoes.   Chicken nuggets made with chicken thighs which is so much better than chicken breasts in my opinion. 

YUM.  I know I could google...but how do you make your nuggets?  Or is it whole strips of thigh?

Came home after a visit to the Dunedin House of Beers and was kinda hungry and feeling the couple of beers with nothing made for dinner.  Used some Patagonian scallops to make some scallop cakes.   Used Lays  jalapeño chips and panko as a binder and panko as a crust.   Use what you have, right?   Had some leftover roasted corn and sliced some snow peas as a side which was given a quick sauté.  A tarter sauce made  from sliced dill and sweet pickles, Dukes and a shot of sriracha.  

image.jpeg

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

YUM.  I know I could google...but how do you make your nuggets?  Or is it whole strips of thigh?

Thighs cut in half lengthwise, dredged in seasoned flour, dipped in egg then coated in a combination of panko, Parmesan and dried oregano. Melt some butter on sheet tray in a 425F degree oven, lay chicken strips in the butter  and bake for about 10 minutes. Flip them over and bake for 5 to 10 minutes longer. 

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog