• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 10)

liuzhou

@mgaretz  

how large are the Tri-Tips in your area ?  they are on sale this week at a decent market for 3.99 / lb and I asked the meat counter if they would

trim up a whole TRiTip as a roast and they said they would.   they thought the whole TT might be 5 lbs.

I have not done TT for a very long time preferring Sirloin Tips as a whole ' slab ' of flap meat.   that's these days around 5.99 / lbs on sale.

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@mgaretz  

how large are the Tri-Tips in your area ?  they are on sale this week at a decent market for 3.99 / lb and I asked the meat counter if they would

trim up a whole TRiTip as a roast and they said they would.   they thought the whole TT might be 5 lbs.

I have not done TT for a very long time preferring Sirloin Tips as a whole ' slab ' of flap meat.   that's these days around 5.99 / lbs on sale.

Between two and three pounds.  I recently scored some prime grade tri-tip at Costco for $4.45/lb.

• Like 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

4 hours ago, chromedome said:

Food has always been part of the dynamic between us. During that initial week when they stayed at the inn I also wheedled her into trying her first creme brulee (that, she now says, is when she started to fall in love with me...). :P

I can understand that. Good creme brulee could certainly inspire it. I once offered to marry a baker in Burlington, N.J, on the strength of his Philadelphia butter cake. He politely declined. My companion at the bakery told me later he was gay, so my quest was in vain. (All I really wanted was the recipe for the butter cake...)

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

43 minutes ago, kayb said:

I can understand that. Good creme brulee could certainly inspire it. I once offered to marry a baker in Burlington, N.J, on the strength of his Philadelphia butter cake. He politely declined. My companion at the bakery told me later he was gay, so my quest was in vain. (All I really wanted was the recipe for the butter cake...)

Hey, whatever it takes...

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Veal tortellini with a sauce of bacon, white wine and cherry tomatoes.

Served with toasted sourdough and a simple baby cos salad..

IMG_2832.JPGIMG_2831.JPG

At least I got to use my one garlic bulb recently harvested.

IMG_2802.JPG

• Like 20

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

With an aside of the same beer as is in the batter. Followed by some durian as you usually do after fish and chips! Yes? No?

YES! Except we only get frozen durian here and they have not been great the last 2 times...

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

image.jpeg

Click (All but the food stylist, prop stylist, oh, and yes, the green stuff.)

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Beef stew with mushrooms and red wine, served over creamy grits. Please forgive blurry cell phone photo.

1agc 3.jpg

Beef (a one-time chuck roast) ready for flouring and sauteeing.

beef 1024.jpg

Bone from roast, as well as a couple of packages of frozen soup bones, roasted and ready to make beef broth in the IP.

soup bones 1024.jpg

Very nearly let the bones and onions go too long.

• Like 10

Don't ask. Eat it.

Stopped in at Safeway for flowers and saw 2 packets of seasoned ground lamb reduced by 50%! I had started the intended supper of Malaysian Beef Curry too late for tonight so was happy to be able to switch gears.
Shepherd's pie with mixed field greens salad.

Lamb Packet0002.jpgSheperd's Pie Filling 0004.jpgShepherd's Pie with topping0005.jpgShepher'd Pie & Salad0008.jpg

• Like 14

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Ah, unlike last night's ramen disappointment, the last of the Australian rib lamb chops, half a bunch of broccolini (my doctor said I should eat more fruit and vegetables and be it known I average a lime a night), plus a large russet potato rubbed with grapeseed oil and baked in a bed of salt.  Potatoes are a vegetable.  Even when served drenched in butter, salt, and sour cream.  Their crispy skin calls out to me.

Wine was Ghost Pines zinfandel, which thankfully comes in a civilized bottle with a cork, unlike the frustrating screw cap Folonari soave that you have to remember which way to turn.

Dessert is a tryst with the green fairy.  She also comes in a bottle with a cork.

• Like 8

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

While I have often disparaged my mother's cooking in the past, there were a couple of things she got right when the wind blew in the right direction. One was her mixed potato and carrot mash with butter and nutmeg. Real comfort food.

Tonight I made some. I tend to go for a more carrot heavy mixture than she did, but that's me. With simply seasoned, fried pork medallions and asparagus (something my mother certainly never cooked).

dinner.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 14

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@mm84321

Wow. You have been sorely missed. Can you tell us what the lettuce was stuffed with?   More lobster? 

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

The lettuce is stuffed in layers: first a slice of a seared heart of butterhead lettuce, then a layer of carrot/celery/shallot brunoise binded with the lobster innards and some truffle, then a slice of seared ham, then a duxelle of chanterelle mushroom with garlic confit, also binded with the lobster innards, THEN slices of poached marrow and FINALLY a slice of lettuce heart to cover. It is pressed and braised in a mixtures of lobster stock/butter and topped with a slice of poached marrow. Recipe is from Ducasse, naturally. 

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, mm84321 said:

The lettuce is stuffed in layers: first a slice of a seared heart of butterhead lettuce, then a layer of carrot/celery/shallot brunoise binded with the lobster innards and some truffle, then a slice of seared ham, then a duxelle of chanterelle mushroom with garlic confit, also binded with the lobster innards, THEN slices of poached marrow and FINALLY a slice of lettuce heart to cover. It is pressed and braised in a mixtures of lobster stock/butter and topped with a slice of poached marrow. Recipe is from Ducasse, naturally. 

Thank you. 

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Paul Bacino said:

@kayb --  not easy to get a 7 Bone chuck roast any more here..atleast!!

Apparently the butcher who processes my steer (or quarter of same) likes that cut. Second one I've pulled out of the freezer.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

image.jpeg

An impromptu pasta dish. I blistered some cherry tomatoes in the oven with some garlic, thyme and olive oil. I chopped up the last little bit of meat off the ham hock I have been feeding on for the last few days. I threw in some frozen peas and a little cream and voila dinner. 

• Like 16

My 2004 eG Blog