• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 10)

liuzhou

49 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@Okanagancook

Must check my mailbox more frequently so I don't miss invitations.xDxD Can you tell us more about the flatbread, please. 

These are Indian chapati.  I don't measure anymore but basically I use 3:1 white all purpose flour to whole wheat; a few grindings of black pepper and salt; a couple of glugs of vegetable oil to make them a little more tender and warm water until they come together.  A quick knead.  Let them rest covered at least 30 minutes.  Rolled out to six inches like a flour tortilla thickness and then I cook them on the contraption below. First side until the top starts to bubble, flip, brush top with ghee and cook for about a minute.  Cover with a towel while the others are done.  They get a little browned with the holes present in the contraption!

DSC01728.jpg

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Dejah said:

A colleague's hubby brought me a small sample of Ethiopian Berbere Spice blend, and I really enjoyed it, on meat, on vegetables, etc. The sampler was running low, but while at Winners today, I saw they had a new supple of spices, and THERE they were: Ethiopian Berbere, Moroccan Harissa, Roast Garlic, and Toast Sesasme and Ginger Blend! I picked several up.
Tonight, I used the Berbere on pork chops (slathered with mayo and breaded with 0-carb crumbs I made) I also had a package of pork button bones, so I rubbed those with berbere and broiled. Cumin, brown mustard seed cumin rice and peas went well with the spices.Spices0001.jpgBerbere Pork0007.jpg

Thanks for this post.  I went to Home Sense today and picked some up as well and this is what I got.  The one in the middle is Thai green curry powder.

20161022_170240.jpg

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 3

@Okanagancook

Ah yes, chapati. I have made them in the past but not for very long time.  Thank you for sharing your recipe and method.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna N, make the dough fresh each time.  Strangely, they don't turn out as 'light' if the dough is left overnight or a few days in the fridge.  I suppose if you have an extra one that was cooked you could try the Bake Steam feature in the CSO to revive it.  However, just as easy to whip up a small batch of dough each time.  My DH loves these things and will easily scarf down 5 or 6 with dinner and he is a little guy who doesn't normally over eat but put a pile of these in front of him and he is changed man:o

• Like 3

@Okanagancook

Hmmm. Reheating in the CSO would mean a 300+ kilometre one way trip to Manitoulin Island!  Just saying :)

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

oh yeah, sorry forgot about where yours is!  Just means making fresh dough every time then!

On the topic of chapati, I tried using Atta flour but it just does not have the same texture nor the flavour of the whole wheat mixed in.  Our East Indian friend makes his with 100% Atta flour....don't care for them.  Yikes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

@Okanagancook

Hmmm. Reheating in the CSO would mean a 300+ kilometre one way trip to Manitoulin Island!  Just saying :)

Or a 20 km trip to my house!

• Like 1

We had fresh ground-at-the-store today chuck burgers. I usually go with the mayo, onion, lettuce, tomato kind like my husband had. Today, I was in the mood for a plainer one with just a little mustard and thin slivers of white onion. If I haven't had a good, fresh and freshly cooked burger in a while, sometimes I won't put anything but salt and pepper on it while cooking, deglaze the pan with a little water, and pour that over it on a bun with no toppings at all. It's all good!

He had colby-jack melted on his burger with tater tots. I had melty white American (the good kind from the deli) and a big green leaf lettuce and tomato salad with lemon tahini dressing as my side.

• Like 5

> ^ . . ^ <

Tonight was pretty much a repeat of last night's tomato and lettuce repast.  But with salami (Hormel Di Lusso) and provolone (Black Bear) in place of the grilled chuck.  Served with the second half of last night's bread*.  Three large platefuls.  I killed the liter bottle of vinegar and almost killed off the Soave.  Killed off the lettuce too.  Killed a few fruit flies while I was at it..

*Reheated in the Cuisinart Steam Oven, of course.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Kielbasa & onions, bruschetta and a beet and onion salad with a Balsamic vinaigrette.

IMG_0235.JPG

You can blame my still recovering vision for my failure to wipe the plate clean after draining the excess juice.

IMG_0240.JPG

IMG_0238.JPG

IMG_0239.JPG

Here is the kielbasa and onions before being wrapped up in HD foil to be put on the grill. The extra onions will be added to the leftover kielbasa for the inevitable kimchi fried rice to follow. As you can see, Crystal hot sauce is a key player.

HC

IMG_0233.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 12

image.jpeg

A friend brought me two small delicata squash.   It is my favourite no fuss squash because you do not need to peel it.  Usually I would roast it but last night decided to try something different.  I made a squash gratin.   It was OK but I don't think I would do it again. The squash was lost in all that dairy.  I still have one left and I think I am going to roast it as usual because it's that caramelization that turns squash from dull to delicious.

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

Groundhog day: again still full from previous meals, again leftover pizza. Same dough as yesterday (plus 24h cold rise in the fridge).

First one with smoked bacon and mushrooms, second one with onions, tuna and green olives.

All accompanied by an off-dry Riesling from the Palatinate and hopefully later something herbal to support the gastrointestinal system after an overloaded weekend ...

WP_20161023_20_07_47_Rich.jpg

WP_20161023_20_31_13_Rich.jpg

• Like 14

A few days ago, the Guardian had a piece announcing a stunning new way to cook meatballs. I was somewhat surprised that acclaimed, award winning, Rome-based writer on Italian food, Rachel Roddy had never heard of this."new method" which I have been using for about 40 years.

To be fair, she does acknowledge her lack of knowledge.

Now you have probably known this for years, but to me it was a little revelation.

The secret? Don't bother frying them, browning them or "sealing" them. Just poach them in the tomato sauce. They stay moister and more tender.

Anyway her piece reminded me that I haven't done them for a while. Mine differ from hers in that I use a 50:50 pork and beef mix and my tomato sauce also contained red wine and a chilli pepper. Finished with a sprinkling of grated grana padano.

As she says you can serve them with carb of choice. I often use pasta, but tonight went for rice. There are leftovers for lunch tomorrow, or maybe I'll freeze them for the future.

dinner.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 15

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

17 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Thanks for this post.  I went to Home Sense today and picked some up as well and this is what I got.  The one in the middle is Thai green curry powder.

Glad you found a stash as well! We don't have a Home Sense in my small city but there is one about 3 hours way. Then I got a msg from a friend in Niagara-on-the-Lake and he said he can send me any spice, even in 1 kg bags. 9_9 That's what happens when one lives close to Toronto.  However, I can get fresh green peppercorns and he has yet to find them.

I haven't tried green curry powder. Would that be the same as the Thai green curry paste? Guess I'll have to make another trip to Winners!

We were babysitting granddaughters yesterday until 5 pm. Put in one of those $4.77 / lb AAA prime rib roasts, some baby taters, and a bag of "baby carrots", and their daddy, big brother and his gf joined us for supper. Had to shoo them all out the door with ice-cream bars as take-home desserts as we had tickets for a concert at 7:30....

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg

A friend brought me two small delicata squash.   It is my favourite no fuss squash because you do not need to peel it.  Usually I would roast it but last night decided to try something different.  I made a squash gratin.   It was OK but I don't think I would do it again. The squash was lost in all that dairy.  I still have one left and I think I am going to roast it as usual because it's that caramelization that turns squash from dull to delicious.

When you roast that delicata, do you roast it with anything?  Roast it after cleaning?  I have 2 or 3.  I often have sliced them into rings, cleaned the rings and then roasted them for a pasta toss, but I'm looking for something better.  Tossed with roasted peppers and tomatoes?  

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@Smithy

I haven't really done anything more then toss it with some oil, salt, pepper and sometimes smoked paprika or a spice mixture of some sort.  I could be persuaded to try something different but it would have to involve caramelizing the squash!  

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

13 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I bought it in Edmonton when we lived there, at an East Indian store so I am presuming it is intended for cooking flat breads.

Oh! Interesting. Not anything I've seen before. I thought it was something you had re-purposed.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

the origin of this dish is from czech republic and normally sweet. you can either take some white bread, or as I did today brioche. flatten it with a rolling pin, smear it with whatever you feel like (I used red pesto), press together, coat in eggwash and fry until crisp and golden brown. the sweet version is with a dark plum jam and served with caster sugar. my version is served wit saffron fennel. 

IMG_2281.JPG

• Like 10