• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 10)

liuzhou

2 hours ago, HungryChris said:

I have mentioned here somewhere before that I like to corn them in Morton Tender Quick solution with a few bay leaves and pepper corns for 2 or 3 weeks, then braise them for about 3 hours. Just thinking about it, know I will be doing it again soon!

HC

Well, if you do it again, we would love to see your steps, etc.

I can get whole tongue frozen.  I've done one once, posted here somewhere, and it turned out fabulous.  Thin slicing is important seeing the meat is so dense and strong tasting.

• Like 2

Dinner tonight was my childhood in a bowl...rabbit stew, and a fresh-baked biscuit. Not the prettiest thing I make, but tasty. 

IMG_20161021_181714[1].jpg

• Like 14

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

image.jpeg

Inspired by caldo verde but I took too many liberties. The green stuff is dinosaur kale which I found much more tolerable than any other kale but I think I continue to miss the point.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 18

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, Anna N said:

Every day offal seems to get more awful for those of us in North America. xD I am guessing if you are near ethnic areas or even "real" butchers it might be available but rarely in a regular supermarket. Even liver now makes only a very rare appearance. 

That's interesting. Here in North of Nowhere, where I can't get a lot of things that are common in most areas, the grocery store almost always has liver, heart, tongue and tripe. All of which, I steadfastly avoid purchasing. I've tried them all and I was okay with the tongue and heart but didn't love either enough that I want to bother on a regular basis. The liver and tripe I wouldn't take home if they were giving them away for free. ¬¬

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I love 'em all. Alas, they remain solitary pleasures for the most part. My ex-wife, late wife, current girlfriend and kids wouldn't have 'em on a bet. 

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

A colleague's hubby brought me a small sample of Ethiopian Berbere Spice blend, and I really enjoyed it, on meat, on vegetables, etc. The sampler was running low, but while at Winners today, I saw they had a new supple of spices, and THERE they were: Ethiopian Berbere, Moroccan Harissa, Roast Garlic, and Toast Sesasme and Ginger Blend! I picked several up.
Tonight, I used the Berbere on pork chops (slathered with mayo and breaded with 0-carb crumbs I made) I also had a package of pork button bones, so I rubbed those with berbere and broiled. Cumin, brown mustard seed cumin rice and peas went well with the spices.Spices0001.jpgBerbere Pork0007.jpg

• Like 20

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I cooked up a Crock Pot of pinto beans all day with a pork blade steak, onion and jalapeno. Three or four hours before dinner, I added a little more onion and a couple more chopped jalapenos and adjusted the salt. By this time all it took was stirring in the additions to shred the meat off the bone.

At dinner time, I made a pan of rosemary/olive oil cornbread. Man, this was a really good dinner!

• Like 8

> ^ . . ^ <

Normally I stop eating when I'm full.  I have nothing against leftovers.  Nonetheless something went quite wrong tonight.

Tomatoes are still in vast quantity, albeit, no longer quite infinite.  The main difference is the haze of fruit flies in the kitchen.  I baked bread, grilled up a quantity of chuck.  And served these with a plate of tomatoes and lettuces drenched in vinegar and olive oil.  Oh, and fresh mozzarella.

No matter how much Soave (and I really tried) it was an effort to finish everything.  Though I, for one, am not about to pour perfectly good Oro Bailen down the drain.

Having read in the NY Times about Potemkin taking the Crimea from the Turks, I am recuperating with a Balaclava #1.

• Like 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I hear you on the haze of fruit flies, @JoNorvelleWalker. Do you know about Truvia traps?

Tonight, another simple dinner. But this time an expensive simple dinner.

rice1.jpg

I had some leftover chicken and rice.from yesterday, so I fried some garlic and chilli then added the chicken and rice to make a simple "chicken fried rice".

However. I also added some matsutake mushrooms which I bought this morning at considerable expense. $242/500g / £198 / 500g.

Do I regret it? Not in the least!

Did I mention it was simple?

• Like 13

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Still pretty full from lunch, but the little one has to eat (what a convenient excuse ...).

Quick pizza: 10h room temperature poolish started this morning, topped up with same amount of flour, some water and salt. 30 min fermentation, rolled out and put whatever was in the fridge (in this case passata, brown champignons, olives and lardons). 8 min @ 250 oC, directly on the bottom of the oven. Sharp cheddar and mozzarella added at 5 min.

Panorama & crumb shot ...

(after the little one ate half of a 1/8th slice, I had to finish the rest, right ?)

WP_20161022_20_27_34_Rich.jpg

WP_20161022_20_29_37_Pro.jpg

• Like 16

15 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Well, if you do it again, we would love to see your steps, etc.

I can get whole tongue frozen.  I've done one once, posted here somewhere, and it turned out fabulous.  Thin slicing is important seeing the meat is so dense and strong tasting.

I just found one this morning on sale because the use or freeze by date was coming up. To me, that means it has been "wet aged" which is a good thing. It is in the brine as I type and I will deliver a full report when I make the first sandwich.

HC

IMG_0224.JPG

• Like 7

Shain, that looks really good

HingryChris, exactly.  As long as it's vacuumed sealed at the packing house.  It's been a while since I did a tongue.  The last one I corned and wanted to SV but due to time constrains ended up simmering on the stove.  Was still a tough bugger to peel 

• Like 3

We took Deb's grandson apple picking last weekend at a farm and stand I have been going to for many years. I couldn't help but notice that the still had corn and I bought some for dinner. They are very meticulous about their corn and pick it several times a day in peak season. I gave them a call yesterday morning to see if they still had any and when they said, well, we have some, I asked if they would put some aside for me as I used to do when I lived nearby, and they did. I felt lucky to get it.

IMG_0217.JPG

Now, I had to arrive at the next dinner component and stopped by one of my favorite markets, nearby. Three items caught my eye:Other chisces.jpg

Squid.jpg

I went for the squid.IMG_0219.JPG

I have already posted too many calamari pics here so I did not bother to take any more, but dinner was great!

HC

• Like 10

1 minute ago, HungryChris said:

We took Deb's grandson apple picking last weekend at a farm and stand I have been going to for many years. I couldn't help but notice that the still had corn and I bought some for dinner. They are very meticulous about their corn and pick it several times a day in peak season. I gave them a call yesterday morning to see if they still had any and when they said, well, we have some, I asked if they would put some aside for me as I used to do when I lived nearby, and they did. I felt lucky to get it.

IMG_0217.JPG

Now, I had to arrive at the next dinner component and stopped by one of my favorite markets, nearby. Three items caught my eye:Other chisces.jpg

Squid.jpg

I went for the squid.IMG_0219.JPG

I have already posted too many calamari pics here so I did not bother to take any more, but dinner was great!

HC

There can never be too many calamari pictures.

• Like 6

@HungryChris

In what reality can you have too many photographs of calamari?

• Like 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Lovely meals everyone.

A curry dinner for my SIL:

raita made with cucumbers

flat breads made by my DH with SIL learning how

Spiced rice (cinnamon, curry leaves, cloves, cardamon, currants, saffron topped with pistachios)

lamb curry

stir fried veggies

dahl 

DSC01727.jpg

• Like 13

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I do now.

They work amazingly well. For the first couple of days you'll still seem to have lots of flies, and then suddenly they'll almost completely disappear. You'll get a new hatch a few days later, but the same traps (unless they're totally clogged with wee corpses) will dispense with those as well. After that, just set 'em out as needed. 

• Like 1

@Okanagancook

Must check my mailbox more frequently so I don't miss invitations.xDxD Can you tell us more about the flatbread, please. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog