• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 10)

liuzhou

A followup to my earlier post about garlic from my father's garden...I had occasion to fetch out a fresh bulb tonight while I was cooking. Here's the pictorial evidence:

IMG_20161020_181614[1].jpg

• Like 10

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

11 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I spent some time yesterday trying to find a recipe for pineapple rice and couldn't fine one so settled on coconut rice.  Any chance you would share the recipe?

When I make pineapple rice I usually use this recipe:

http://thaifood.about.com/od/vegetarianthairecipes/r/thaifriedrice.htm

I even sometimes hollow out the pineapple and serve the rice in it for added fun (old photo of mine):

7195416588_7a82083153_k.jpg

That said, last night I did not have time for this recipe or the fun pineapple.  I just cooked a couple of tablespoons of ginger and some garlic in hot oil in a wok, added in a few cups of cold day old rice and let it sear until heated through, then tossed in some chunked pineapple, a handful of cashews, some minced cilantro and a little bit of light soy sauce and rice wine and tossed it all together until hot.

Tonight's dinner was something I only make when my husband is not home as he hates it after eating it too many times when we were in college: crusty bread topped with sautéed mushrooms and gruyere cheese.  Tonight I added an egg on top.  

toast.jpg

• Like 16

A beef and a pork in red sauce tamale, both from TJ's, cooked from frozen in the IP (15 min, 5 min cool down then pressure released).

IMG_2128.JPG

Served with sour cream, fresh homemade pico de gallo and salsa

IMG_2132.JPG

Shucked and properly attired

IMG_2134.JPG

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, heidih said:

That looks like what is sold here as elephant garlic 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant_garlic

Elephant garlic is a whole 'nother thing. This is plain ol' Allium sativum, a specific hardneck cultivar called "Music" that grows very well here in Atlantic Canada (most of the commercial growers here plant it). My father's been hand-selecting the largest and most vigorous bulbs for a long time, so he now has his own sub-cultivar that's finely tuned to his own soil and microclimate. It's actually very close to the size of elephant garlic, but with the "full-fat" pungency of the real thing. The cloves aren't quite as long as those of elephant garlic, from top to bottom, but are otherwise just as plump. 

• Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

13 hours ago, robirdstx said:

Beef Stew made in the Instant Pot. Cooking details have been reported on the Instant Pot thread.

This is what happens when AWOL from egullet...missed all the chatter about Instant Pot!

I've been thinking about pressure cookers, so this might do the trick - multi-purpose!

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Chicken thighs seared then finished in the oven. Mushroom sauce with Parmesan cheese and cream. Spinach wilted in pan juices from the chicken.

Hubby had single serving Minute Rice and I had gluten-free low-carb black bean spaghetti. His looked prettier.:$

Chicken & Mush.0001.jpg

• Like 14

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

28 minutes ago, Dejah said:

This is what happens when AWOL from egullet...missed all the chatter about Instant Pot!

I've been thinking about pressure cookers, so this might do the trick - multi-purpose!

I have not used pressure cooker since acquiring Instant Pot.  The size of Instant Pot may be limiting for some but is perfect for my two person (most of the time) household.  Stock, beans, grits etc.. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, robirdstx said:

Beef Stew made in the Instant Pot. Cooking details have been reported on the Instant Pot thread.

IMG_5728.JPG

I am going to have to give in and get one of those instant pots. PS that cup looks like it has some of the glazes I used when I still made pottery.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Dejah said:

Dejah, here is the beginning of the now four part thread on the IP if you haven't seen it yet.  Lots of good info in there.  Can't wait to see what you get up to when you get yours :)

I made a HUGE pot of venison chili yesterday--needed to use up a lot of jalapeños so a lot went in there.  SPICY lol.  We had some for dinner...the rest I will be freezing for Ronnie to eat for lunches during hunting season.  I feel a little ahead of the game this year lol.

Oh and I opened one of the jars of pickled jalapeños to garnish the top.  Holy crap.  I'm still on fire.

photo.JPG

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 14

beef tongue2.jpg

Tonight's dinner may have been short on visuals but plenty of taste.

A starter of simple fried beef tongue with sea salt.

The tongue is sold peeled of skin and sliced paper thin. It fries up nicely in the same time it would take to do a slice of bacon. I'm guessing it would grill well, too.

.beef tongue.jpg

Raw beef tongue slices.

Followed by poached chicken (poached in water with ginger, shallots, white rice wine and white pepper). Served with rice and fried mushrooms.

chicken.jpg

Hit the spot.

• Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@liuzhou

Would love to try that beef tongue. Every day offal seems to get more awful for those of us in North America. xD I am guessing if you are near ethnic areas or even "real" butchers it might be available but rarely in a regular supermarket. Even liver now makes only a very rare appearance. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@liuzhou

Would love to try that beef tongue. Every day offal seems to get more awful for those of us in North America. xD I am guessing if you are near ethnic areas or even "real" butchers it might be available but rarely in a regular supermarket. Even liver now makes only a very rare appearance. 

That is sad. I am lucky to live in a culture that prizes all sorts of offal. Bits I didn't even know existed or were edible.

The tongue is from my local supermarket. Nothing special.

But I love tongue, liver, and especially kidneys.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@liuzhou

Really? I see beef tongue quite regularly at Superstore. It's whole or half, still in the skin, but they have it most weeks. 

I've only ever slow-cooked it whole and then peeled and sliced it once it was tender, but I've done the paper-thin thing with beef heart (which is similarly tough) so it makes perfect sense. 

• Like 1

@ninagluck

Wow is all I can say to your vegetarian tarte tatin.  Can I assume you roasted the carrots and parsnips first before assembling it?  

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N, I blanched them 5 min (colours separeted) drained and let dry on towel. Melt 2 tbsp butter with 1 tsp sugar and 1 tbsp vinegar, add 1 shallot andsome thyme. pour that in tarte pan, arrange vegetables, puff pastry on top, bake for 40 min at 200° C

Edited by ninagluck (log)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ninagluck said:

@Anna N, I blanched them 5 min (colours separeted) drained and let dry on towel. Melt 2 tbsp butter with 1 tsp sugar and 1 tbsp vinegar, add 1 shallot andsome thyme. pour that in tarte pan, arrange vegetables, puff pastry on top, bake for 40 min at 200° C

Thank you.   I had had a rough morning and don't think my brain was fully engaged when I asked my question.  I was not thinking through that the vegetables would cook UNDERNEATH the pastry. Now it all makes sense. I appreciate your instructions. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, chromedome said:

Really? I see beef tongue quite regularly at Superstore. It's whole or half, still in the skin, but they have it most weeks. 

I've only ever slow-cooked it whole and then peeled and sliced it once it was tender, but I've done the paper-thin thing with beef heart (which is similarly tough) so it makes perfect sense. 

I have mentioned here somewhere before that I like to corn them in Morton Tender Quick solution with a few bay leaves and pepper corns for 2 or 3 weeks, then braise them for about 3 hours. Just thinking about it, know I will be doing it again soon!

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 2