• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

HungryChris

HungryChris

5 hours ago, chromedome said:

Really? I see beef tongue quite regularly at Superstore. It's whole or half, still in the skin, but they have it most weeks. 

I've only ever slow-cooked it whole and then peeled and sliced it once it was tender, but I've done the paper-thin thing with beef heart (which is similarly tough) so it makes perfect sense. 

I have mentioned here somewhere before that I like to corn them in Morton Tender Quick solution with a few bay leaves and pepper corns for 2 or 3 weeks, then braise them for about 3 hours. Just thinking about it, know I will be doing it again soon!

HC

HungryChris

HungryChris

5 hours ago, chromedome said:

Really? I see beef tongue quite regularly at Superstore. It's whole or half, still in the skin, but they have it most weeks. 

I've only ever slow-cooked it whole and then peeled and sliced it once it was tender, but I've done the paper-thin thing with beef heart (which is similarly tough) so it makes perfect sense. 

I have mentioned here somewhere before that I like to corn them in Morton Tender Quick solution with a few bay leaves and pepper corns for 2 or three weeks, then braise them for about 3 hours. Just thinking about it, know I will be doing it again soon!

HC