• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cake with cookie dough baked in

LaMiaCucina

No, but I'll be curious to hear how it turns out. 

I suspect that, given the cookie dough will be much denser, it will sink to the bottom, but I've been wrong a time or two. :P

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

After researching, it appears "stuffed cupcakes" are popular.  

I also think the dough would sink.  I plan to freeze it into small pieces.  I wonder if it would help to toss them in cake flour before baking.

I also will leave out baking soda from the cookie recipe since I'm making a white cake.

I've never done this myself, so I have no experience to offer - however.....

A few years ago, people were doing "surprize inside" cakes where they made cake batter, colored it, then (slightly under)baked it in that cake ball pan. You then baked another cake, and placed half the batter in a pan, placed the baked cake balls in, then poured the rest of the batter over said cake balls, then bake as usual.

One of my favorite Maida Heatter recipes is the chocolate brownie cheesecake - you bake a pan of brownies, cut them into small-ish cubes, then add it to a vanilla cheesecake.  It's fantastic! :)

So, presumably you could do the same with brownies in your usual cake batter.  Unbaked cookie dough, I'm not sure about.

• Like 4

I've seen it done in cheesecakes (but as Jeanne said, I think it was more of a blondie then a real cookie). 

Have you thought about using baked cookies in the cake mix? 

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 1

~ Shai N.

I know of a website that has a hundred or so cheesecake recipes. It has  a recipe for an Olive Garden type cheesecake with chocolate chip cookies baked in the middle. You got one of those tubes from the store of refrigerated chocolate chip cookie dough.  Nestle, Pillsbury, whatever. Make your favorite cheesecake batter, prepare the crust. 

On the crust in the pan, put in about half of the cheesecake batter.  Now slice the tube of cookie dough in big chunks, maybe ten big chunks.  Put them around the perimeter of the prepared cake pan. Put one or two in the middle. Then put the rest of the cheesecake batter on top and bake as usual. Pretty good, made it a lot for parties. 

Here's the website. Search for Olive Garden Chocolate Chip.

http://www.floras-hideout.com/recipes/chcake-ALL.html

Susan

Edited by vloglady
info (log)

On 10/22/2016 at 6:54 AM, LaMiaCucina said:

Has anyone had success with using a high ratio cake batter with cookie dough or brownie batter baked into it?  

Any advice/tricks to know or consider before I attempt it?

I am no help whatsoever, but I am ever so curious.   Can you describe the effect you are going for in the finished cake and how will it be served?  

This cake is a high ratio white cake, not a cheesecake.

It is baked and ready to be wrapped and frozen.  I put some of the batter in a small pan and did a "test cake."  I also lightly coated the frozen pieces (I cut them small) with flour before putting them into the batter.

The pieces did sink, but not as much as I expected.  Maybe because they were so small.  However, I would have liked to have a bit more "cookie dough" come through.  I didn't put may in the test cake because the pan was so small.  I'll have to see how the actual layers come out when it is served next weekend.

Thank you again for the comments.