• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Oven: Features, Accessories, Troubleshooting, and "Should I Buy One?"

FauxPas

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Since my oven is working perfectly fine at the moment I am waiting for more information.  I'd love to know if anyone has updated without problems.

Ditto!

p

• Like 1

I've communicated with Anova support 3 times. So far I cannot connect to the oven; I've deleted the app, reinstalled, turned off bluetooth, etc. etc. without success.

Edited to add that we've recently upgraded our internet service to fibre optic.

The top of Anova Precision Oven wifi troubleshooting page states

"To successfully connect your Oven to the Anova app, ensure you’re connected to a 2.4 GHZ wifi and not through a 5 GHZ wifi.  The Oven will only be able to connect to a 2.4 GHZ wifi. "

More later.

Edited by TdeV
More details (log)

2 hours ago, TdeV said:

I've communicated with Anova support 3 times. So far I cannot connect to the oven; I've deleted the app, reinstalled, turned off bluetooth, etc. etc. without success.

Edited to add that we've recently upgraded our internet service to fibre optic.

The top of Anova Precision Oven wifi troubleshooting page states

"To successfully connect your Oven to the Anova app, ensure you’re connected to a 2.4 GHZ wifi and not through a 5 GHZ wifi.  The Oven will only be able to connect to a 2.4 GHZ wifi. "

More later.

When I last tried to connect I turned off the 5 GHz radio in my access point to make sure.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

DH set up a wifi connection which is 2.4 GHZ but this went untested. Even after a cold reboot of the oven, the wifi light never progressed to a steady light.

The oven is unusable. The oven works manually as well as it used to.

My guess is that something got scrambled in the firmware update process.

More later (I'm waiting for Support to get back to me).

Edited by TdeV
Edited to correct myself (log)
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, TdeV said:

DH set up a wifi connection which is 2.4 GHZ but this went untested. Even after a cold reboot of the oven, the wifi light never progressed to a steady light.

The oven is unusable.

My guess is that something got scrambled in the firmware update process.

More later (I'm waiting for Support to get back to me).

Try a factory reset.  I wouldn't want to be working for anova tech support this moment.

• Thanks 1

• Thanks 1

Over the past week on Reddit r/CombiSteamOvenCooking, I've conducted a poll.  ~50% of users have had major issues with the new app/firmward (1/4 of those who have issues were able to resolve them).

I haven't tried yet, but I will later this week.  The deadline is Aug 15th.

2 hours ago, BostonBestEats said:

Over the past week on Reddit r/CombiSteamOvenCooking, I've conducted a poll.  ~50% of users have had major issues with the new app/firmward (1/4 of those who have issues were able to resolve them).

I haven't tried yet, but I will later this week.  The deadline is Aug 15th.

I wasn't given the option.  The oven decided for itself.

On 8/1/2023 at 12:43 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I wasn't given the option.  The oven decided for itself.

Not turning on my oven was how I avoided it updating!

FWIW, this past weekend I finally did update the firmware on my OG APO (iOS app), and it proceeded without problem.  I haven't used it extensively since then, but did test 482°F in NSVM for 30 min and didn't experience any shutdown.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Recently I steam roasted eggplant at 400°F. It was done before the rest of the meal.

Somewhere I read that food can be kept indefinitely at something like 145°F and 30% steam (this is my memory we're talking about, so those numbers might not be exact)

So, I opened the oven door, cooled the oven way down, set the temp to 145°F and put the eggplant back in. In no time, the heat was up around 200°F (and climbing).

What do you do to stop cooking but keep a dish warm?

You are way more experienced with the Anova than I am, but I have found to my chagrin that if I turn the oven on via the app, then change the settings on the oven, the settings revert back to the original, I.e. the app settings.  Could that have happened with you?

• Like 1

Thanks for answering, Elsie. I do everything via the front panel, so one would think that the Anova brain would be listening!

As it so happens, the machine has reset itself a few times since the August update, but that error is a factory reset, and I'm noticing those. This is the Anova not able to reset the temperature thermometer and run at a cooler temperature after I have cooled the inside by opening the door. I suppose it's possible that all the metal inside the oven is still hot, so the temp keeps rising.

I guess that means I should ask Anova about it. 😕

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Anova Precision Oven is 25% off, ending today.

My adblocker blocks the link but PM me and I will send it to you.

I see that price on the website so I don’t think a special link is needed. 
$520.99 with free shipping is kinda tempting though the recent update issues give me pause. 
Plus, the old CSO is still chugging along…and it makes good toast!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Quick question.  I am cooking a capon and am trying to use the probe function.  Straight out of the fridge, the probe tells me the bird is already at 130F which is impossible.  I am clearly doing something wrong.  I never use the probe function.  Can someone tell me the exact buttons to push and in what order?  I feel like a dummy asking this, but help is appreciated.  

16 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I'm thinking of buying a steel plate for my APO.  I see some have "finger holes" on the side and others are solid?  Any thoughts on which is better?

I use this steel from McMaster-Carr

https://www.mcmaster.com/9745K79-9745K19/

...or I did before I had to stop baking bread.