• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Oven: Features, Accessories, Troubleshooting, and "Should I Buy One?"

FauxPas

9 minutes ago, TdeV said:

@ElsieD, look at this recipe for a sous-vide whole fish grilled from Anova Culinary. It will give you a good idea of the different effects of different 

Today I starting reading this topic starting on page 1.  After I finished page 20 I called it a day and will continue tomorrow.  I took a lot of notes while I was reading this and will have lots of things to check out when I've finished reading it.  After that i will go to Anova Culinary and go through their stuff.  I admit I should have done this a while ago.

I am trying to proof some bread dough.  I set the app to proof, 81F and it climbed to 92.5.  I then canceled that and set it to proof by using the control panel on the oven door.  It did the same thing.  Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what happened?  

• Confused 1

On 4/19/2023 at 5:25 PM, ElsieD said:

I am trying to proof some bread dough.  I set the app to proof, 81F and it climbed to 92.5.  I then canceled that and set it to proof by using the control panel on the oven door.  It did the same thing.  Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what happened?  

I have returned 2. The first leaked. Anova provided a replacement. It worked for a while then wouldn't maintain the proper temp. I returned it for a refund. I really liked it when it was working properly and hope to buy another one, or maybe a competitor's product, after waiting for the technology kinks to be ironed out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

16 hours ago, cyalexa said:

I have returned 2. The first leaked. Anova provided a replacement. It worked for a while then wouldn't maintain the proper temp. I returned it for a refund. I really liked it when it was working properly and hope to buy another one, or maybe a competitor's product, after waiting for the technology kinks to be ironed out. 

I did call Anova about this and much to my surprise they called me back about a half hour later.  They suggested I pull the plug and leave it unplugged for at least 15 minutes so it could re -set itself.  I'm not sure what re-set means but at any rate I unplugged it overnight and tried the proof function again this morning.  It was set to 81F, but the temperature went to 92.

• Sad 1

After returning my first APO because it wouldn't connect to my app, this second APO stopped being recognized all by my apps (iPhone & iPad) at the same exact time, all of a sudden about 6-8 months ago. It was a struggle to get it on the app, many hours of work for even me, an IT guy.

It has really limited my functionality and ease of use. I was originally on the fence to purchase due to the lack of control without the app. I have to have $600-$1200 remote (that constantly changes) essentially? Not to mention the possible security risk of it requiring to be connected to the internet on my home network to just to communicate to within 10-15 ft. I'd like to have the option to opt in to the network connection for this reason.

Additionally, I'd like to be able to opt out of this required connection to the internet because it is almost certain that an automatic background update caused the issue. I can't update my phone (and why should I if it works the way it is? Just like the app was.) 

If this APO hadn't been connected to the internet, it wouldn't have changed a thing, it'd be secure, and I'd still be able to fully utilized the functionality of a tool I paid over half a grand for.

I wish the consumer market had a countertop steam/combi oven that didn't NEED an app. God I wish this so much. Unfortunately that just isn't the case yet. :|

P.S. My background is in computer hardware and software & security of those. If I had the hardware and known this was going to be the case, I would have attempted to create a second home network isolated from the internet and see if connecting it to that would have worked. Granted, this "solution" would have caused me to pay for another endless energy bill that communication devices like routers and modems consume, and I'd have to get whatever device the app was on to switch wifi networks just to send commands or receive notifications during use, that means it'd be useless as an internet device for the duration of that use, i.e., it would ONLY be an ANOVA app device for the duration of each use.

Edited by Jon S
To remove "update" confusion; typo (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I did call Anova about this and much to my surprise they called me back about a half hour later.  They suggested I pull the plug and leave it unplugged for at least 15 minutes so it could re -set itself.  I'm not sure what re-set means but at any rate I unplugged it overnight and tried the proof function again this morning.  It was set to 81F, but the temperature went to 92.

Some electronics "remember" things based on components that are built to have a charge (capacitors). Once the device is unplugged, the source of that charge is gone, and so it will "forget" after the charge naturally dissipates. This is why you sometimes have to "wait [30, 60, etc.] seconds before turning back on" a device when it's giving you issues.

Hope that helps!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Jon S

The app is nice but unnecessary - my APO works perfectly using the controls on the bar - I got it based on its hardware capabilities not its software

p

• Like 1

Been meaning to post this. I went to the container store and bought an elfa drawer set that was meant to be a printer cart. Perfect for the oven and the ventilated drawers hold the sheet pans and grids perfectly   image.thumb.jpg.944bc762e9d5e534a9478eb70a33a971.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

7 minutes ago, Rickbern said:

Been meaning to post this. I went to the container store and bought an elfa drawer set that was meant to be a printer cart. Perfect for the oven and the ventilated drawers hold the sheet pans and grids perfectly   image.thumb.jpg.944bc762e9d5e534a9478eb70a33a971.jpg

That would make a great cart for a guitar. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, palo said:

@Jon S

The app is nice but unnecessary - my APO works perfectly using the controls on the bar - I got it based on its hardware capabilities not its software

p

I can agree that without an app, it's at a minimum a steam oven. :) But major conveniences (some which you'd get in any oven!), are tied in the app. I constantly have to work around things I used to not have to worry about. It's one thing not having it to begin with, and another knowing what you've lost. :(

A few examples off the top of my head (the most familiar):

• Not being able to turn off the fan (or even adjust the speed) so that it doesn't wear (squeaking fans seem to become an issue with these APOs).
  • Having the way to use the oven light be a 3-5 sec moment after I toggle pausing/stopping my cook (which can reset my timer)
  • Not able to "program" phases controlled by temp readings or time settings.

• "Downloading" a preset cooking program as a template from their official recipe list

• Then there's the timer not starting until the preheat is done, when in the app you can start the timer immediately

This "precision oven" I "own" doesn't feel like mine when I can't "precisely" control it (use it to its fullest like I used to).

I'd love to have more control over how I cook, that's why I bought it. :)

My personal take: It's like buying a high performance vehicle for that sake, getting to use it on the race track for a few weekends as intended, then overnight, not because of how you drove it or where you parked it, it gets stuck in first gear. Why? Because someone else thought it'd be a good idea to give it an automatic software update that you couldn't prevent even if you wanted to, so that's your reality now. (And you don't even know what that update was for, so it might have been unnecessary for your needs).

Edited by Jon S
typo & clarity (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tonight I was discussing with DH how tedious the front panel is for selecting a temperature. I was griping that, once upon a time, in a universe far away, ordinary people were proficient with a keypad or keyboard, and devices were designed to be efficient. However, for the APO, the temperature adjustment on the front panel is either too damn slow, or too damn fast. I don't use the app and I find the interface STUPIDLY complex and awkward.

Grump.

If someone made a SENSIBLE interface to a steam convection oven, I would upgrade.

Edited by TdeV
Clarity (log)
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

"... However, for the APO, the temperature adjustment on the front panel is either too damn slow, or too damn fast. ..."

I agree. I would instantly upgrade to any countertop steam oven with some sort of physical feedback so an app is not a part of its critical functionality (why I was on the fence in the first place).

*sigh* but I gotta acknowledge and respect them for taking the risk of a venture into this domain I guess? ¬¬

It's understandable if their strategy was to knowingly compromise interface design to better take advantage of "off the shelf" (already established and therefore cheap) non-custom manufactured components, in order to: to bring this to market ASAP, with as much reliability as needed to make it stable enough to sell (incrementally redesign with consumer feedback), keep it profitable, and keep it affordable.

I respect them being a part of the niche market that has been consumer level combi ovens / steam ovens. Regardless, I WOULD UPGRADE IN A HEARTBEAT. Be a dream if I could.

• Like 3

This is my reservation with all "connected" devices.  I'm no newby, but I deeply distrust uninvited upgrades. Over the years too many have been a problem.  Not to mention that the more chips, the more chance to fry one and turn your $500 oven into a doorstop.

• Like 5

On 4/19/2023 at 6:25 PM, ElsieD said:

Hi, I'm the moderator of r/CombiSteamOvenCooking on Reddit, where we have a lot of Anova users, and I occasionally check what is going on over here but haven't posted before.

With regards to your question, you don't say precisely what settings you are using.  However, you should be aware that running the fan produces heat by itself.  At low temps, that can cause the temp to rise by ~10°F over time.  Since there is no active cooling in the oven, it then can't maintain the low temp.  I suspect that is the problem, and not a defect with your oven.

The solution is not to run the fan (or steam, which requires the fan to be on full) when proofing.  There really is no big reason to do so anyway.  Just cover your bowl or pan and run the oven conventionally at the temp you want to proof at.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/27/2023 at 1:53 PM, BostonBestEats said:

Hi, I'm the moderator of r/CombiSteamOvenCooking on Reddit, where we have a lot of Anova users, and I occasionally check what is going on over here but haven't posted before.

With regards to your question, you don't say precisely what settings you are using.  However, you should be aware that running the fan produces heat by itself.  At low temps, that can cause the temp to rise by ~10°F over time.  Since there is no active cooling in the oven, it then can't maintain the low temp.  I suspect that is the problem, and not a defect with your oven.

The solution is not to run the fan (or steam, which requires the fan to be on full) when proofing.  There really is no big reason to do so anyway.  Just cover your bowl or pan and run the oven conventionally at the temp you want to proof at.

Thank you for responding.  I'll take your advice and follow your recommendation.  It does beg the question though, "what is the proof setting for"?

Edited by ElsieD
Fixed a typo (log)
  • Like 1

On 4/29/2023 at 10:40 AM, ElsieD said:

Thank you for responding.  I'll take your advice and follow your recommendation.  It does beg the question though, "what is the proof setting for"?

Does it have a Proof setting?  It didn't when it came out.

Mine is an original, and although I usually set it up using the app, I don't pay any attenntion to the other things the app does, so I may be unaware that it has a button for "Proofing" now.

People have insatiable desires to do certain things.  Storing garlic-infused oil at room temp is one.  Asuming that a steam oven is better for proofing than just covering your bowl with Saran wrap or a moist towel is another.  Manufacturers like to keep people happy.

If anything, since virtually all recipes out there tell you to cover and put at room temp or a warm place, and adding steam to the mix actually changes the proofing temp (physics), using a steam oven actually causes you to do something different than the recipe you are following says to do.  Probably not a huge deal, unless the oven can't maintain the temp you want and you end up with over-proofed dough.

Edited by BostonBestEats (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yes, it has a specific proof setting, set at 81F.  I made a "wee loaf" the other day and took your advice.  I simply stuck it the oven covered, and did not use the proff setting.  Worked just fine.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I went into the kitchen to get something and noticed that the light was on in the APO and the door was covered with water vapor.  I opened the door and lo and behold the bottom was covered with several inches of warm water.  The water tank was empty, it had been 1/4 full before it drained into the cavity of the oven.  First thing I did was pull the plug.  I then realized it had been scrolling a message of some sort across the dials which disappeared when I pulled the plug.  If it makes any difference, it was still on it's first tank of water.  Anyone have any ideas before I call Anova?

• Sad 3

4 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Last night I went into the kitchen to get something and noticed that the light was on in the APO and the door was covered with water vapor.  I opened the door and lo and behold the bottom was covered with several inches of warm water.  The water tank was empty, it had been 1/4 full before it drained into the cavity of the oven.  First thing I did was pull the plug.  I then realized it had been scrolling a message of some sort across the dials which disappeared when I pulled the plug.  If it makes any difference, it was still on it's first tank of water.  Anyone have any ideas before I call Anova?

If it were me, I'd sponge out the water, refill the tank to that 1/4 level, plug it back in and see what happens.  

But it's my nature to repeat experiments🙃

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

If it were me, I'd sponge out the water, refill the tank to that 1/4 level, plug it back in and see what happens.  

But it's my nature to repeat experiments🙃

We sponged the water out right away.....not just off the oven floor, but off the stand and the kitchen floor.  The water was considerably warmer than room temperature.  I wish I had taken the temperature,  without it being turned on, it had warmed the water.

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

We sponged the water out right away.....not just off the oven floor, but off the stand and the kitchen floor.  The water was considerably warmer than room temperature.  I wish I had taken the temperature,  without it being turned on, it had warmed the water.

Ah, I thought the flood was contained within the unit.  If it's flowing throughout the whole kitchen, I can see why you'd want to call them before repeating that part!

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Did you accidentally start a descaling cycle?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou