• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Oven

FauxPas

9 hours ago, andrewk512 said:

No amazon groceries in Canada :( I checked 2 grocery stores and a major home goods store, gonna try more grocery stores eventually

Interesting, good to know

It is a name brand of calcium/lime/rust remover, like the stuff you would use to get rid of scale on a shower glass or a slowly running faucet. The repetitive commercials I watched as a child brainwashed me into brand loyalty

Try pharmacies in Canada for distilled water.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Try pharmacies in Canada for distilled water.

I have had no trouble buying distilled water at grocery stores. I use it in my steam mop. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, palo said:

97 cents/4 Lt @ Walmart, why should you look further?

p

1) I'm seldom in Walmart, compared to the other stores I've mentioned.

2) When I am, the shelf always seems to be empty but for the price tag.

It's not worth wasting my time on another stop. Everyone else's mileage will vary, of course. :)

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Thanks everyone! My container of demineralized water is holding out, but at least I know where to look when it runs out.

Does anyone find steaming in the APO insufficient from a moisture standpoint? I think the mandatory oven fan with the steam function is drying things out. I just did presoaked pearl barley at 100C 100% steam as per the Noma guide and it dried out. I also had issues with my koji growing at 30C and 100% RH where the cloth wrapping the koji also dried out and required spraying with water. I am now going to add a bit of water to the pan when steaming and I am wrapping my koji batch today in plastic to prevent moisture loss .

Growing koji has been awesome though so far. I can fit two 9x13 pans in the APO which is about 3x what I could fit in my previous setup. The probe and the app really help reduce constant monitoring and tinkering. My first batch was yellow peas with wheat which run really hot so once things started heating up half way through I took it out of the oven and finished the growth in ambient air.

Edited by andrewk512 (log)
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, andrewk512 said:

Thanks everyone! My container of demineralized water is holding out, but at least I know where to look when it runs out.

Does anyone find steaming in the APO insufficient from a moisture standpoint? I think the mandatory oven fan with the steam function is drying things out. I just did presoaked pearl barley at 100C 100% steam as per the Noma guide and it dried out. I also had issues with my koji growing at 30C and 100% RH where the cloth wrapping the koji also dried out and required spraying with water. I am now going to add a bit of water to the pan when steaming and I am wrapping my koji batch today in plastic to prevent moisture loss .

Growing koji has been awesome though so far. I can fit two 9x13 pans in the APO which is about 3x what I could fit in my previous setup. The probe and the app really help reduce constant monitoring and tinkering. My first batch was yellow peas with wheat which run really hot so once things started heating up half way through I took it out of the oven and finished the growth in ambient air.

Can you share time and tempo?

3 hours ago, Gnulio said:

Can you share time and tempo?

For grains I am doing rinse then 4hr presoak then anywhere from 100-110C, 100% steam and about 40minutes (but I just taste every 10 mins after 30mins to determine donenness). I am using rear heating element for this one

For the koji I am wrapping inoculated grains in a pan in cheesecloth then starting at 30C and 100% RH with bottom heating element. After the koji starts exceeding 30C (creating its own heat) I turn the oven temp down to minimum, this is about 24hrs in. I am misting the cloth with fine spray of water when it dries out. If temps are going above 33 then I pull the koji out and finish on the countertop. The kojis take about 36hr

• Thanks 1

I left the door open on the APO so my koji could get some air and to prevent overheating because I wasn't able to monitor the koji while I was at work this afternoon.

I thought the light would automatically turn off but it did not. When I got back a few hrs later the top shelf of koji hit a concerning 40C while the bottom was a nice 31C.

Measuring the temp of the light at the top of the oven, it is 120C, enough to seriously overdo any low temp fermentation. Will note for next time.

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've just cleaned my APO and I was re-reminded that I don't understand how to clean the top (inside).

First, I heated the oven to 140°F with 100% steam. Then I sprayed oven cleaner on the sides, base and the sides of the back (attempting to avoid the fan). I also got some oven cleaner on the edges of the top of the oven (because it was covered in grime) but I didn't want to get too much on the heating element.

After the oven had time to rest (couple hours), I wiped down the oven with a sponge and really hot water. I ended up poking the sponge under the top elements. It's still pretty grimy up there.

What do you do?

Edited by TdeV
Grammar (log)

56 minutes ago, TdeV said:

I've just cleaned my APO and I re-reminded that I don't understand how to clean the top (inside).

First, I heated the oven to 140°F with 100% steam. Then I sprayed oven cleaner on the sides, base and the sides of the back (attempting to avoid the fan). I also got some oven cleaner on the edges of the top of the oven (because it was covered in grime) but I didn't want to get too much on the heating element.

After the oven had time to rest (couple hours), I wiped down the oven with a sponge and really hot water. I ended up poking the sponge under the top elements. It's still pretty grimy up there.

What do you do?

Turn off the smoke detector when it comes on.

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed the anova app now has a quick start menu for:

Steam

Air Fry

Convection Bake

Proof

Bake

Dehydrate

Broil

I may take one for the team.  Warning, as soon as you click on a quick start selection, the oven starts.  (Except for @rotuts of course.)

• Thanks 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

17 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I may take one for the team.

Thanks Jo. I think that menu has been there for some time but I've been wary of it. Look forward to your report.

Yesterday I started the sous vide function for a pork shoulder (in a bag, 165F, 20hrs). I dried the drip tray a couple times, including right before I went to bed. I woke up this morning to an overflowing drip tray and really wet counter. Has anyone else had this problem? BTW, the meat was great, I'm still futzing with the skin which I removed after cooking. I removed most of the fat from it, laid it flat on the pan that came with the oven, salted it and am leaving it in the refrigerator over night. Tomorrow I plan to broil it. 

I stick a microfiber towel on the bottom right side all the time. Wicks the water away and evaporates it. 

I also don’t put pork shoulder in a bag, I just use a deep roasting which someone here recommended. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B089N65N19/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_track_package_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Rickbern (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@cyalexa, I mostly sous vide fish in the Anova (so far) which I do bagless. (Otherwise I use the Joule. Because it's there).

The fish (or meat) is placed on a 1/4" pan on a tray. Then I place the regular size pan on the bottom of the oven (for overflow).

But these are for short cooks.

For 20 hours I would think that would accumulate LOTS of water, i.e. no good for sauce (maybe good for starting a pot of stock).

@TdeV, I got 24 ounces of liquid upon draining the bag. It turned into a firm gel once refrigerated. It's in the freezer and will likely be used like a stock. What ended up on my counter was just water overflowing from the collection tray. 

• Delicious 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this was mentioned upthread ... Dave Arnold hosted one of the Precision Oven's engineers on his podcast last year. Discussion is interesting, and includes explanations / remedies for some of the oven's problems. They also get into the history and technology of combi ovens and c-vap ovens. Dave considers the APO the Muhammed Ali of reheating pancakes and fried food.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Notes from the underbelly

22 hours ago, paulraphael said:

Not sure if this was mentioned upthread ... Dave Arnold hosted one of the Precision Oven's engineers on his podcast last year. Discussion is interesting, and includes explanations / remedies for some of the oven's problems. They also get into the history and technology of combi ovens and c-vap ovens. Dave considers the APO the Muhammed Ali of reheating pancakes and fried food.

Yep, it was mentioned but I don't think there was much interest at the time.  I thought it was a good episode.