• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Oven: Features, Accessories, Troubleshooting, and "Should I Buy One?"

FauxPas

7 hours ago, TdeV said:

@SherryCobySam said "Are these preferred over the anova perforated pans?"

I didn't know Anova had perforated pans! Where?

https://anovaculinary.com/sous-vide-accessories/perforated-pan/

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I think a rack is better than a perforated pan because of the increased air flow and by placing a sheet pan on the shelf below you have the best solution - the racks I referenced earlier fit perfectly in the oven shelves - they just slide in - I ordered just about every different rac from Amazon before I found these that fit - don't go by advertised dimensions 

https://www.amazon.com.au/s?k=Hamilton+Housewares+Stainless+Steel+Cooling+Rack&ref=nb_sb_noss

p

I have written to Anova to find out what they think/want-to-do about the incompatibility of the probe and the pan on the top rack of the oven. Will let you know. (The perforated pan does not look like it would work any better than the upgraded pan, and, now that I have the items below, I'm unlikely to purchase).

Here is my APO set up to dry strawberries. See Dehydrating foodstuffs with the Anova Precision Oven.

IMG_3656_croppedSm.thumb.jpg.c5d454b6d2d804366b1d72b45cab5307.jpg

These items were recommendations from @palo and @JoNorvelleWalker.

The rack is from Hamilton Housewares (12" x 17") (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Silpat Silpain Premium Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat for Bread, 11-5/8 x 16-1/2 (eG-friendly Amazon.com link). Jo uses this mat to bake bread  Nope!

Edited by TdeV
Clarity (log)
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, TdeV said:

I have written to Anova to find out what they think/want-to-do about the incompatibility of the probe and the pan on the top rack of the oven. Will let you know. (The perforated pan does not look like it would work any better than the upgraded pan, and, now that I have the items below, I'm unlikely to purchase).

Here is my APO set up to dry strawberries. See Dehydrating foodstuffs with the Anova Precision Oven.

Silpat Silpain Premium Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat for Bread, 11-5/8 x 16-1/2 (eG-friendly Amazon.com link). Jo uses this mat to bake bread.

Trying out rack and mats. Thanks everyone!

11 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Silpat Silpain Premium Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat for Bread, 11-5/8 x 16-1/2 (eG-friendly Amazon.com link). Jo uses this mat to bake bread.

Just to clarify:  Jo uses these mats for (infrequent) dehydrating in the APO.  Jo has never used them for baking anything

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Just to clarify:  Jo uses these mats for (infrequent) dehydrating in the APO.  Jo has never used them for baking anything

Oops! I'll edit original post.

1 hour ago, SherryCobySam said:

Starting with 1 rack and 3 mats to see if I ever dehydrate anything after the first time. :)

I have found that @Ann_T's Summer Cake works better when the peaches have been dehydrated a tad.

Also, the Silpat is good for anything which you want to put on a rack which you don't want to fall through, e.g. bread, vegetables, etc. There are tiny holes in the non-stick Silpat mat, so perfect for steaming veggies. The Silpat withstands temperatures from -40°F to 500°F (-40°C to 260°C).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TdeV said:

I have written to Anova to find out what they think/want-to-do about the incompatibility of the probe and the pan on the top rack of the oven. Will let you know. 

Original issue reported here. One additional item I mentioned to Anova Support was:

At the time (not knowing the probe could not be inserted), I wished that the probe was LONGER so that I could have rested the pan (with probe tip inserted into meat) on the inside door of the open oven, or a lower rack, so that my oven mitted hands could insert the probe end into the probe slot (before moving the pan to the top tray).

Here's what I wanted to do (below), where the length of the probe cord is just a bit too short. Maybe not so much for this photo, but definitely a problem if the pan has to be removed from the oven while the probe is plugged in AND inserted into the meat at the same time. 9" might be enough to do this safely, but needs testing. I would want to see a video of Anova staff performing this with a hot oven! (See photo below)

IMG_4032.thumb.JPG.de6653d1f1144bc289e0e9537a275f45.JPG

Anova has replied. They think one shouldn't try to use the probe + pan on the top rack.  Grrrr! 😡 😡

So, what do you think?

On 5/5/2022 at 12:34 PM, TdeV said:

Anova has replied. They think one shouldn't try to use the probe + pan on the top rack.  Grrrr! 😡 😡

So, what do you think?

@TdeV I don't have an APO, but I've run into some similar spacing issues in some of my other smaller ovens when trying to broil tall things. They don't fit with the rack in the top position, and the next position down moves them too far away.

My solution has been to move the rack down one position, and then invert another pan as a "spacer" in between the rack and the pan with the food.

If you used a spacer pan just *slightly* shorter than the difference between racks, it might get the pan to just barely clear the probe socket.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/5/2022 at 12:34 PM, TdeV said:

Original issue reported here. One additional item I mentioned to Anova Support was:

So, what do you think?

I wouldn't put anything I wanted a strict temp on in the top rack anyway, the oven light emits a lot of heat (around 140F) so you risk uneven cooking ( I suppose you could turn the light off but the function to do so is annoyingly hidden)

• Thanks 1

@andrewk512, I was looking to replicate a top shelf broil, much hotter than 140°F. However, I don't know anything about broiling meat and I know that opening the oven door causes big changes, so I used the thermometer. I'm going to try @dtremit's suggestion next time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, andrewk512 said:

I wouldn't put anything I wanted a strict temp on in the top rack anyway, the oven light emits a lot of heat (around 140F) so you risk uneven cooking ( I suppose you could turn the light off but the function to do so is annoyingly hidden)

Not that hidden.

• Thanks 1

Guys I’m in Manhattan and I am about to toss my Anova box and inserts. If anybody actually wants them, I am happy to give them away, and if you provide a label I’ll even ship them.

I live in an apartment and while I am blessed to have closet space, It has better uses. And I am certain I am keeping the oven

It looks like anova figures out boxes when there is a warranty exchange.

47 minutes ago, SherryCobySam said:

Guys I’m in Manhattan and I am about to toss my Anova box and inserts. If anybody actually wants them, I am happy to give them away, and if you provide a label I’ll even ship them.

I live in an apartment and while I am blessed to have closet space, It has better uses. And I am certain I am keeping the oven

It looks like anova figures out boxes when there is a warranty exchange.

My cat would probably love it. But I'll pass.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

For anyone interested, I recently received a Fissler 28cm covered roasting pan/rondeau.  It just fits in the APO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Fissler 28cm covered roasting pan/rondeau

Jo, my web search for this comes up with a lot of things I'm sure are not you are referring to.

Could you post a link?

7 minutes ago, FlashJack said:

Jo, my web search for this comes up with a lot of things I'm sure are not you are referring to.

Could you post a link?

Sorry, their product lines are quite confusing:

https://www.fissler.com/us/products/product-detail/original-profi-collection-round-roaster-11-in-5-qt-with-high-domed-lid-2019/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FlashJack said:

Thanks @JoNorvelleWalker

That's beautiful. Love the domed lid.

Ouch on price.

I do have a birthday coming up ...

I paid 25% off.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I paid 25% off.

Fortunately out of stock at my closest department store. $AU719 ~ $US499. Even on sale that's premium pricing. Fissler make lovely things.

• Sad 1