• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Oven

FauxPas

Im posting this here

s it compliments comments above

iffy off-topic :

I have a new Popper coffee roster

Ill post my thought after i do a few roasts elewhere

I saw this at the end of the instructions :

IMG_0384.thumb.jpg.9e0e38c00659bfca440ee24cf51acda0.jpg

note the last comment .  put a smile on my face .  no WiFi nor bluetooth.

firmware needs no update .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Haha 6

• 3 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

iPadOS 15 addressed my primary plaint

Which was Jo?

I use the iPhone app. It's not great but it does the job. Is there an advantage to using the IPad version?

1 hour ago, FlashJack said:

Which was Jo?

I use the iPhone app. It's not great but it does the job. Is there an advantage to using the IPad version?

Anova is too cheap to write a native iPad app.  Until now the iPhone app on my iPad displayed upside down.  With iPadOS 15 I can force the anova app to display right side up.

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

too cheap to write a native iPad app

That is cheap.

I installed the IPad app thinking that if it's JNW-approved it's worth a try. Not so.

10 minutes ago, FlashJack said:

That is cheap.

I installed the IPad app thinking that if it's JNW-approved it's worth a try. Not so.

Where did you find an anova iPad app?  I just rechecked the apple app store and I sure couldn't find one.

Sorry, Jo, to get your hopes up.

When I read your post I checked the app store from my iPad and installed what popped up in search. It is, as you say, the IPhone app running on the iPad. At least it's right way up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FlashJack said:

Sorry, Jo, to get your hopes up.

When I read your post I checked the app store from my iPad and installed what popped up in search. It is, as you say, the IPhone app running on the iPad. At least it's right way up.

Admittedly the app is not the greatest, but why do you feel not worth a try?

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

why do you feel not worth a try?

Hi Jo. I've not been clear: I've been happily running the app on my iPhone. It's good enough. After you mentioned an improvement to the app on the iPad I installed the app on my iPad. It is, as you say, disappointing that the app is not iPad native.

We're stuck with it until Anova releases an API. I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Oooooops !

Return was ' clicked '

as I undestand it

Tax in MA is $ 31.87

can't do much about that  ..

but free shipping  nice   very nice !

but .....

15 % off ?

Time for some TJ's TableWhine !

[ed.:  personal TJ's TW blend , of course ! ]

drunk.jpeg.b1ed1aae75e147a6eaf7f00ac7c3b291.jpeg

• Haha 1

Is the 15% black friday code good for the APO? Some of the comments on online ads seem to suggest it is standard

I am very interested in getting one asap so if this is a new discount it would be good incentive. Is there a code for free shipping?

6 hours ago, andrewk512 said:

Is the 15% black friday code good for the APO? Some of the comments on online ads seem to suggest it is standard

I am very interested in getting one asap so if this is a new discount it would be good incentive. Is there a code for free shipping?

This link showed up in my Facebook feed. I did not have to enter a code that I recall. 

https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-oven/?ab=true&utm_source=fb&utm_medium=paid social&utm_campaign_name=03. Oven Prospecting -- 9.29.21&utm_adset_name=10. lookalike %3A%3A oven customers (all purchases event)&utm_placement=Facebook_Desktop_Feed&utm_campaign_id=6255903135040&utm_ad_name=4516182151803691 %3A%3A early black friday %3A%3A oven %3A%3A 01 %3A%3A all excl UK NZ %3A%3A image %3A%3A 2021-11-04&utm_ad_id=6260411287240&fbclid=IwAR2abc12SVNTg14KfFjqdv255h_BdP4Iq-WykB_Nc_v_69JzIduyJkzPv4o

• Like 1

I read all 42 pages in this forum. Now I'm a tad apprehensive, especially about the update and connectivity issues. My CSO is still working so I will have that as a back-up and a crutch as I learn.  

Edited by cyalexa
typo (log)
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TdeV said:

Congratters @cyalexa. I shall look forward to your experiments . . . This fall I have been using the Anova for dehydrating fruits and vegetables.

I had a huge fig harvest this year. I have lots in my freezer, frozen whole, no prep or processing. I have no idea what they will be like when thawed but maybe I can dehydrate them in my new APO. 

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, cyalexa said:

I read all 42 pages in this forum. Now I'm a tad apprehensive, especially about the update and connectivity issues. My CSO is still working so I will have that as a back-up and a crutch as I learn.  

Remember that WiFi is not mandatory.  No law says you have to connect if you don't want to.  I believe everything except fan speed and multistage recipes are configurable from the front panel.  That said, my recommendation would be to connect.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Remember that WiFi is not mandatory.  No law says you have to connect if you don't want to.  I believe everything except fan speed and multistage recipes are configurable from the front panel.  That said, my recommendation would be to connect.

I will connect, if my phone is new enough for the app or if I can use my laptop. I want to take advantage of multistage cooking, even if just for toast, or to change from "reheat" to "keep warm" for subsequent pieces of pizza reheated in the kitchen while we are out in front of the TV. If I tell you I am dreading updating my computer from Windows 10 to Windows 11 I think you will understand. 

• Like 1