• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Oven

FauxPas

4 minutes ago, FlashJack said:

Jo you were cleverer than me in doing a factory reset.

As I understand you are on 1.1.32. Are you being prompted to install a version higher than that?

I am on 1.1.23.  I am being prompted to install 1.1.32.

8 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I am on 1.1.23.  I am being prompted to install 1.1.32.

Ah, same here and I'm a little wary. Better to await reports I think.

• Like 2

BIG!!! to do about the new firmware push over at Anova Culinary Community Forums:

https://community.anovaculinary.com/c/anova-precision-oven/31

Seems the newest firmware push blew up pretty much everyone's oven - over 70 (and counting) unhappy campers - Anova has posted a fix and reverted back to a previous firmware version

At the the moment the only way to prevent a reoccurance is to disconnect from wifi

I asked about that and the response was "Will look into this for you. At this time there is not, short of disconnecting the oven from Wifi"

A further comment was "The last day’s experience clearly shows that this should be your top priority. One should be able to choose if when to download and install new software, What if you’re cooking for a big occasion and the oven starts behaving like it did this time? Probably happened to some people this time. So please, let us choose when to install new software."

Which is obviously the correct response Anova's wasn't

I still stand by all my kudos for this device and see this as just teething problems, but there does seem to be a disconnect between the manufacturer and the user

p

Edited by palo
tried to fix font (log)
  • Thanks 1

@palo 

I think you are correct 

its simple for me :

Ill wait for Molars

or Incisors.

and yes 

I mean 

its not fogged out

yet

like the circulators

V2  and a bov

I was cooking dinner for outdoor diners and decided to raise/lower the temp by 5°. Instead of letting me do this, the machine started the descale cycle. I hit a few buttons to try to stop/cancel the descale cycle but was unable to. The program emptied tons of water into the oven (no tray at the bottom of the oven at the time). The way I got the machine to pay attention was by unplugging it. What a mess! The Descale light had been on for a while, but that automatic behaviour was preposterous.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, TdeV said:

I was cooking dinner for outdoor diners and decided to raise/lower the temp by 5°. Instead of letting me do this, the machine started the descale cycle. I hit a few buttons to try to stop/cancel the descale cycle but was unable to. The program emptied tons of water into the oven (no tray at the bottom of the oven at the time). The way I got the machine to pay attention was by unplugging it. What a mess! The Descale light had been on for a while, but that automatic behaviour was preposterous.

Factory reset is your friend.

6 hours ago, palo said:

Couple of interesting links to APO:

Oven Firmware Changelog - https://support.anovaculinary.com/hc/en-us/articles/360058146272-Oven-Firmware-Changelog

FAQ - https://support.anovaculinary.com/hc/en-us/sections/360008099312-Frequently-Asked-Questions

Some interesting tidbits in the changelog

p

I notice from reading the FAQ on the anova Alexa skill that you can ask Alexa to "Air fry my vegetables."  Which proves the APO is an air fryer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

AS much as I hate to kick someone when they're down, whoever came up with anova's current firmware should be strung up by some part of their respective anatomy.  It is now almost impossible to set a temperature from the front panel.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

whoever came up with anova's current firmware should be strung up

Jo, I'm using firmware v 1.1.32 and am not having this issue. I know that doesn't help you but it may be that your problem is unrelated to the firmware debacle.

One thing that does bug me is that the timer display on the handle is much dimmer than the display of temperature and steam *except if it is displaying the digit 1*. It's as though the whole power budget goes into the two components of that digit. Have you noticed same?

Edited by FlashJack
typo (log)
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, FlashJack said:

Jo, I'm using firmware v 1.1.32 and am not having this issue. I know that doesn't help you but it may be that your problem is unrelated to the firmware debacle.

One thing that does bug me is that the timer display on the handle is much dimmer than the display of temperature and steam *except if it is displaying the digit 1*. It's as though the whole power budget goes into the two components of that digit. Have you noticed same?

No, I just looked.

My problem with setting temperature from the front panel is the change to setting temperature by tenths of a degree rather than by whole degrees.  Change is frustratingly slow until it goes real fast and you overshoot your setpoint.  Then in the other direction change is frustratingly slow until it goes real fast and you overshoot your setpoint.  Repeat.

39 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My problem with setting temperature from the front panel is the change to setting temperature by tenths of a degree rather than by whole degrees.  Change is frustratingly slow until it goes real fast and you overshoot your setpoint.  Then in the other direction change is frustratingly slow until it goes real fast and you overshoot your setpoint.  Repeat.

Agreed!

16 hours ago, FlashJack said:

I apologize.  I went to cook some beans just now and the timer display issue is exactly as you say.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

the timer display issue

It's weird Jo. Mine has hds this behaviour from the beginning.

As to temp settings, that control is as frisky as a colt.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FlashJack said:

It's weird Jo. Mine has hds this behaviour from the beginning.

As to temp settings, that control is as frisky as a colt.

It could be I never noticed the timer behavior before you called my attention to it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just got an email with that link, but on further investigation there is a 1.1.32 which says "1.1.32 This release changes a single line of code to fix the error that caused ovens to start rebooting late Monday" which is dated Aug 20

p

im not sure why ovens need firmware.

just because firmware exists these days

doesn't mean its necessary for everything.

CSO woks fine w/o it.

remember the camera in the oven ?

soy could watch your ' roast 'on an iPhone?

I was vey interested in the Anova oven.

firmware efforts should have been

used for hardware first.

Ludite i am these days.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Millennials (and Gen Z) need everything connected to some sort of device, with that device most likely connected to their hand or arm.

Millennial consumers represent the highest-spending generation in 2020 — with a projected $1.4 trillion tab.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

CSO woks fine w/o it.

remember the camera in the oven ?

soy could watch your ' roast 'on an iPhone?

I was vey interested in the Anova oven.

firmware efforts should have been

used for hardware first.

Ludite i am these days.

Actually, the CSO has firmware.  So does your InstantPot.  Anything with a digital display that can change with response to external stimuli - turning a dial, for instance, is run by firmware on a chip.  Even most "dumb" ovens have a controller (hence firmware) now.  It's just that some firmware is rewriteable and others are fixed.  The CSO's firmware is most probably fixed - why pay for a rewriteable chip when the device in whole has no connectivity to be able to rewrite it?  But appliances with WiFi or Bluetooth have a way to contact the Mother Ship.  So, the company can go the typical software route which is to release the first version before it's actually truly finished.  It may have bugs.  Not as much functionality as it could possibly have based on teh hardware inside, etc.  But because it is updateable, it doesn't need to be perfect on release.  They can release patches at their leisure and work out the problems over time, making sales all the while.

• Like 7

@KennethT 

excellent points.

I mis-spoke.

CSO firmware works fine 

right out of the box.

Anova SO ;  not so much it seems 

and updates seem problematic.

I prefer  ' get it right , or so close to right the first time it doesn't matter

"" he company can go the typical software route which is to release the first version before it's actually truly finished ''

not for me

like WinDozze

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1