• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Oven: Features, Accessories, Troubleshooting, and "Should I Buy One?"

FauxPas

@TdeV 

indeed

CSO Steam Clean is fine for me.

Rational CombiOvens 

and all of that ilk 

SteamClean

being Plumbed-In

drains and all

Just Like your DishWasher !

saving up might get you some

some day !

I do wish I had the link :

someone here 

posted some time ago

about getting a Rational 

nice sized one 

w Vents to Code

and I dont have the link

and w thew additional expense of  3-phase power

to boot.

• Sad 1

I picked up my APO from the post office today, had to go cause I wasn't around for delivery earlier. Somehow I managed to get the thing into my car but couldn't get it out of the car without shredding the box to pieces. I fear any malfunctioning that might make me have to return it

Edited by andrewk512 (log)
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, andrewk512 said:

I picked up my APO from the post office today, had to go cause I wasn't around for delivery earlier. Somehow I managed to get the thing into my car but couldn't get it out of the car without shredding the box to pieces. I fear any malfunctioning that might make me have to return it

Do they not still offer in-home service?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

more info from APO's:

"""  Yes, the Oven that you'd be receiving will have the most current firmware version with it.

If the Oven fulfills its cooking functionalities, then we can consider it to be working perfectly.

Once you receive the Oven and you want to find out the current firmware version of it, make sure first that the Oven is connected to the app. Then, Launch Anova App > Profile > Settings > Oven Details > Firmware Version.

"""

they still think I have WiFi and an App !

BTW  :  an early version of the circulator had WiFi and bluetooth.

its the one I use .   manually

and as I understand it from eG :  bluetooth chip is cheap

I wonder why APO only has WiFi .

Ah , of course :  to collect info and then ....  w the info ?

On 12/27/2021 at 10:58 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Do they not still offer in-home service?

I have never heard of that, will have to check if it is in Canada

and as I understand it from eG :  bluetooth chip is cheap

I wonder why APO only has WiFi .

Ah , of course :  to collect info and then ....  w the info ?

I find bluetooth pairing of anything other than headphones very unreliable and it drives me crazy. I think if it was bluetooth I would not purchase

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, andrewk512 said:

Can I use CLR to descale the APO? Do I need to descale if the descale light has not come on? I have ran it for 60hrs so far. I am using demineralized water (only thing available since the stores have all been raided of water)

I don't know what CLR might be but I use distilled water and I've never descaled my well used APO.  I learned from my CSO that not using distilled water was a mistake.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, andrewk512 said:

Can I use CLR to descale the APO? Do I need to descale if the descale light has not come on? I have ran it for 60hrs so far. I am using demineralized water (only thing available since the stores have all been raided of water)

No! My experience with a (far less expensive) coffee maker taught me to never use CLR to clean food related items.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DesertTinker said:

No! My experience with a (far less expensive) coffee maker taught me to never use CLR to clean food related items.

Why is that? I used it on my immersion circulator to good success, but that was something I could visibly see and ensure was well gone, whereas the APO makes me a bit nervous to that regard. What descaler do you use?

I've never descaled my well used APO.

I am guessing they assume people are using regular water despite the instructions.

I am still trying to find a store that will sell distilled water.... but demineralized water is the best I can do for now

9 minutes ago, andrewk512 said:

Why is that? I used it on my immersion circulator to good success, but that was something I could visibly see and ensure was well gone, whereas the APO makes me a bit nervous to that regard. What descaler do you use?

I am guessing they assume people are using regular water despite the instructions.

I am still trying to find a store that will sell distilled water.... but demineralized water is the best I can do for now

No APO here, but,  the CLR left a weird aftertaste/smell, regardless of how many flushing with clean water cycles I ran. It’s white vinegar for me for food contact things.

Edited by DesertTinker
Added information (log)

11 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I get my distilled water from amazon whole foods, but I believe Shoprite has it too.  I just can't carry it.

No amazon groceries in Canada :( I checked 2 grocery stores and a major home goods store, gonna try more grocery stores eventually

5 minutes ago, DesertTinker said:

No APO here, but,  the CLR left a weird aftertaste/smell, regardless of how many flushing with clean water cycles I ran. It’s white vinegar for me for food contact things.

Interesting, good to know

2 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I still have no idea what CLR might be.

It is a name brand of calcium/lime/rust remover, like the stuff you would use to get rid of scale on a shower glass or a slowly running faucet. The repetitive commercials I watched as a child brainwashed me into brand loyalty

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, andrewk512 said:

Look in the pharmacy section, not the bottled water section. At least, that's where the stores up here have it.

(Also, of course, pharmacies.)

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

6 hours ago, andrewk512 said:

Where in Canada do you live?

p

36 minutes ago, palo said:

Where in Canada do you live?

p

Oh, geez. I missed that he was in Canada.

Unless you're in a super-remote location, it's in a store near you. Shoppers has it, Superstore has it, Sobeys has it. In Shoppers it's (weirdly) over where they keep the supplements and vitamins and homeopathic remedies (don't get me started on the subject of selling snake oil alongside real medicine...). In Sobeys and Superstore it's in the pharmacy, usually (IIRC) near the eye-care stuff. I buy it regularly at all three stores for my GF's CPAP machine, it's just a matter of which one I happen to be in for other purchases.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

9 hours ago, andrewk512 said:

No amazon groceries in Canada :( I checked 2 grocery stores and a major home goods store, gonna try more grocery stores eventually

Interesting, good to know

It is a name brand of calcium/lime/rust remover, like the stuff you would use to get rid of scale on a shower glass or a slowly running faucet. The repetitive commercials I watched as a child brainwashed me into brand loyalty

Try pharmacies in Canada for distilled water.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Try pharmacies in Canada for distilled water.

I have had no trouble buying distilled water at grocery stores. I use it in my steam mop. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, palo said:

97 cents/4 Lt @ Walmart, why should you look further?

p

1) I'm seldom in Walmart, compared to the other stores I've mentioned.

2) When I am, the shelf always seems to be empty but for the price tag.

It's not worth wasting my time on another stop. Everyone else's mileage will vary, of course. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've just cleaned my APO and I was re-reminded that I don't understand how to clean the top (inside).

First, I heated the oven to 140°F with 100% steam. Then I sprayed oven cleaner on the sides, base and the sides of the back (attempting to avoid the fan). I also got some oven cleaner on the edges of the top of the oven (because it was covered in grime) but I didn't want to get too much on the heating element.

After the oven had time to rest (couple hours), I wiped down the oven with a sponge and really hot water. I ended up poking the sponge under the top elements. It's still pretty grimy up there.

What do you do?

Edited by TdeV
Grammar (log)