• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Oven

13 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

@chromedome, have you tried the Wilton (or other) cake strips? Seems like a cool product. (Yes, judging by YouTube videos, seems like the cake strips would help to get an evenly-baked cake.)

They're on my (lengthy) to-get list, but I have done the equivalent by wetting kitchen towels and securing them around the pan with a length of twine. It's a PITA, but I don't bake cakes very often so it's not a big deal.

• Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

4 hours ago, Lord_Pall said:

Still feels like there's something more clever I can do with this piece of hardware.

I'm sure that you're absolutely correct there, @Lord_Pall 🤣 🤣

• Haha 1

Well it's about a month since I got my replacement pan and it definitely is an improvement.

Anyone else request and receive theirs?

What are your impressions of the "new" pan?

p

6 hours ago, palo said:

Well it's about a month since I got my replacement pan and it definitely is an improvement.

Anyone else request and receive theirs?

What are your impressions of the "new" pan?

p

I haven't asked yet, thanks for reminding me.

We in Canada often (constantly?) moan about the cost of items in Canada compared to the US.

Never again!

The APO in the UK will set you back CDN $1205.62  😨 😨 😨

That is the price of the oven, VAT (which are import duties) plus the DHL fees!!!

Part of the problem is that the ovens are shipped from their EU warehouse and due to Brexit they are considered "imports" to the UK and thus subject to the duties.

People in the UK purchasing one of these definitely need to keep a "stiff upper lip"

p

• Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Got my firmware update as well - 1.1.20 😀

As an aside, have not too many people purchased the APO or are they just quiet? The CSO topic has huge # of responses, the APO not so much.I realize the CSO at the time was a game changer but the APO has knocked it out of the park.

p

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, palo said:

Got my firmware update as well - 1.1.20 😀

As an aside, have not too many people purchased the APO or are they just quiet? The CSO topic has huge # of responses, the APO not so much.I realize the CSO at the time was a game changer but the APO has knocked it out of the park.

p

I can't answer for anyone, since I've never succumbed to the temptation, but a) the APO is twice the price; and b) I expect many of the CSO owners are standing pat while their ovens last.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Posted (edited)

Money quote from Jason's review:

If this product is supposed to replace a traditional oven, an air fryer, and the trusty toaster oven, it shouldn't require conjuring my system integration expertise at 8am to toast a bagel.

Edited by chromedome (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, chromedome said:

I can't answer for anyone, since I've never succumbed to the temptation, but a) the APO is twice the price; and b) I expect many of the CSO owners are standing pat while their ovens last.

And I would add that the never used back-up CSO has to fail as well.  There are a few of us who have them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

And I would add that the never used back-up CSO has to fail as well.  There are a few of us who have them.

My backup Model T is still under a tarp.  😝

p

• Haha 4

Dinner tonight was supposed to have been shad.  The shad arrived as promised, however the cook was overwhelmed with tiredness.  Dinner turned out to be the remainder of my most recent pizza.  Previously I'd been reheating pizza much as I would in the CSO on steam bake.  To less than good results.

This time I trusted to the anova reheating pizza recipe.  (Yes, there is such a thing.)  A multistage process that surely would give Jason flashbacks.  Yet the recipe is invoked by just one click.  One click.  The pizza was great, what can I say?

• Like 2
On 5/19/2021 at 1:14 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

A multistage process that surely would give Jason flashbacks.  Yet the recipe is invoked by just one click.  One click.  The pizza was great, what can I say?

Yes, my most often used recipe is Toast (also multi-stage). 🤣

• Like 1

Second time around with the "Roast Chicken 101" recipe and the LAST time.

Turned out not as well as the first, but the smoke, grease splatter and resultant odors in kitchen and oven have taken this item off the menu permanently!

Anyone else tried this and what was your experience?

As an aside, the next day I did baguettes:

Dough in Zojirushi BB-HAC10 (https://www.zojirushi.com/app/recipe/baguette)

Then proofed and baked in APO using the "Baguette 101" recipe.

Worked well, but reduced the browning stage to about 6 minutes as they were over-browning.

p

• 3 weeks later...