• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Oven

@kostbill 

your points are well taken

consider

peelingnoffnthe skin

after a cold water soak 

if needed

and then

SV the meat

and deal w the skin in a diffenrent

fashion ?

Very Hot roast

I don't thin any oven 

Anovaor not

is going together boththeskinandthemeatdone 

perfectly t oyurliking

do the meat S

and then the skin differently

possibly your new Anova

cheers

• Like 1

No I want to cook it with the skin on.

I know that the desired effect can be reached because I have eaten a very good pork hock.

I am guessing that in the restaurant I ate it, they had a combi oven, so, here is a challenge.

Ahhh, the mysterious perforated pan...

Well I haven't found one, but an excellent substitute would be this:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00H94EPJ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes it is a "cooling rack" and not a "perforated pan", but it functions in all but name as the latter and the beauty of it is it fits in the shelf grooves of the oven. The reason for the perforated pan is to allow air circulation and run off.  Rather than a rack on a pan on a shelf, this fits in a groove with a pan in a groove below, allowing max circulation and no chance of "steaming". It can be used as a rack alone for dehydrating or air frying and I believe it's strong enough to hold a Dutch oven. It's pricy at $40 CDN, but it does the job.

@kostbill - I haven't a clue about hocks specifically but the roast chicken recipe could surely be adapted - dry in fridge- probe for temp (sous vide mode) - sear

https://oven.anovaculinary.com/recipe/wttK3xUw6HH3zPw5XOzL

p

4 hours ago, palo said:

Ahhh, the mysterious perforated pan...

Well I haven't found one, but an excellent substitute would be this:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00H94EPJ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes it is a "cooling rack" and not a "perforated pan", but it functions in all but name as the latter and the beauty of it is it fits in the shelf grooves of the oven. The reason for the perforated pan is to allow air circulation and run off.  Rather than a rack on a pan on a shelf, this fits in a groove with a pan in a groove below, allowing max circulation and no chance of "steaming". It can be used as a rack alone for dehydrating or air frying and I believe it's strong enough to hold a Dutch oven. It's pricy at $40 CDN, but it does the job.

@kostbill - I haven't a clue about hocks specifically but the roast chicken recipe could surely be adapted - dry in fridge- probe for temp (sous vide mode) - sear

p

TeamFar or Vollrath for me.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, kostbill said:

No I want to cook it with the skin on.

I know that the desired effect can be reached because I have eaten a very good pork hock.

I am guessing that in the restaurant I ate it, they had a combi oven, so, here is a challenge.

With or without APO, may I suggest this method ?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, palo said:

Yes this is the first try I am going to have. I didn't have the fridge dry in my mind, but I will do that.

40 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I tried that method in a pork belly. The skin came out crispy but the meat was overdone. But when it comes to pork belly, I don't really like the meat even when sous vide. I enjoy it in fat pieces, about 1cm and shallow fry in a pan.

Also I cannot do that exactly with a pork hock because of the shape.

I think I will get some pork hocks and do them in the oven before the anova oven arrives. This way I will remember the results more clearly and adjust my expectations.

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

TeamFar or Vollrath for me.

Do they slide in the grooves?

The TeamFar says the rack is 18.75 inches which is too wide or 15 inches which is too narrow.

The Vollrath rack on Amazon doesn't say the actual size and there's often some fudging with regards to "1/2 sheet" size.

p

6 hours ago, palo said:

Do they slide in the grooves?

The TeamFar says the rack is 18.75 inches which is too wide or 15 inches which is too narrow.

The Vollrath rack on Amazon doesn't say the actual size and there's often some fudging with regards to "1/2 sheet" size.

p

Neither slide in the grooves, however unless I linked the wrong TeamFar sheet pans they fit well in the APO.

For Vollrath, don't confuse 1/2 sheet pans with 1/2 hotel pans.  The thing I like about the pans and rack I linked is they go together perfectly.  Other hotel pans I have don't fit the Vollrath rack.

• Like 1

Each to his own, but with the rack I mentioned, I gain an extra shelf as well as a "perforated pan" that gives me plenty of room for air circulation.

You say "toemato" and I say "tawmato" 😁

p

• Like 2
On 3/27/2021 at 4:26 AM, Duvel said:

Duvel, did you boil the meat at the start?

I recently bought way too many pork feet, ham hocks and pork bones. Used a torch to burn off hair on pig feet. Also read that pork feet needed to be boiled for 5 minutes at the start. It did remove rather a lot of foam and crud. Same thing with hocks?

Well with new tanks and new pans to earlier purchasers, I'd say Anova is standing behind their products!

Suggestion for JoNorvelleWalker, I'd keep the water level up near the max just to be safe, they probably haven't designed a Mark III tank yet 😛

p

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

This afternoon I received the new Mark II tank.  I am in no rush to equip it as the cracked Mark I is not yet leaking.

Dear God. For a moment I had a vision of @JoNorvelleWalker plunging across Northern France in a Panzer Mark IV tank (reading right straight over the II designation). It was an image to raise fear in the heart of the French countryside.

My next thought was, "Where in the hell is she going to put THAT in her apartment?"

• Haha 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 minute ago, kayb said:

Dear God. For a moment I had a vision of @JoNorvelleWalker plunging across Northern France in a Panzer Mark IV tank (reading right straight over the II designation). It was an image to raise fear in the heart of the French countryside.

My next thought was, "Where in the hell is she going to put THAT in her apartment?"

Anywhere she damn well chooses. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

26 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Anywhere she damn well chooses. :P

Point taken!

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

What is the mark II? Is it a new design for the water tank?

Two days ago, in Dave Arnold's podcast, where he had Scott Heimendinger, Scott said that they don't have a new design yet.

On 3/28/2021 at 1:28 PM, TdeV said:

Duvel, did you boil the meat at the start?

I recently bought way too many pork feet, ham hocks and pork bones. Used a torch to burn off hair on pig feet. Also read that pork feet needed to be boiled for 5 minutes at the start. It did remove rather a lot of foam and crud. Same thing with hocks?

The meat is cooked first skin side down submerged in liquid. So, that would technically count as boiling.

I am not quite sure what your intention is. Do you want to roast the hocks ? I do not think that a preboiling makes much of a difference qualitywise other than shortening the time in the oven. The preboiling technique is usually enployed to create clear(er) stocks from protein, but has not that much advantage if you are aiming at „just“ getting it cooked ...

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, kostbill said:

What is the mark II? Is it a new design for the water tank?

Two days ago, in Dave Arnold's podcast, where he had Scott Heimendinger, Scott said that they don't have a new design yet.

Without putting them side to side it looked slightly different.  It's quite possible that I am delusional and it's really a replacement Mark I.  If I ever feel up to excavating the closet where I buried it, I shall do a careful study.

13 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I think I was mistaken.  I compared the old tank with the new one and I really could not see any difference.  I apologize for getting hopes up.

No need to apologize.  The vision of you driving a tank around the French countryside per @kayb will buy you a great many dispensations. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

31 minutes ago, Anna N said:

No need to apologize.  The vision of you driving a tank around the French countryside per @kayb will buy you a great many dispensations. 

More so driving around the New Jersey countryside! “Hi, Shoprite. I’m here to pick up my order. Oh, I’m in spaces 1, 2, and possibly 3.”🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
23 minutes ago, DesertTinker said:

More so driving around the New Jersey countryside! “Hi, Shoprite. I’m here to pick up my order. Oh, I’m in spaces 1, 2, and possibly 3.”🤣

One friend suggested I get a donkey for groceries, though a tank has a certain charm.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I think I was mistaken.  I compared the old tank with the new one and I really could not see any difference.  I apologize for getting hopes up.

Thanks for verifying that.

• Like 1