• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Oven: Features, Accessories, Troubleshooting, and "Should I Buy One?"

FauxPas

Can anyone recommend how to cook a goose in the Anova oven?  I really have had it with turkey for Thanksgiving, and since my parents are worried about the 'rona this year, I can cook what I want for my wife and kids.

I only know that, as with duck, you can't just cook a goose like you would a chicken. Apparently, gotta render off the layer of fat under the skin.

There is one recipe that uses a traditional oven that I'm using as reference:  https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/12/roast-goose-and-gravy-recipe.html

Then there is a recipe for duck that uses the Anova oven...but it doesn't actually use the steam function:  https://oven.anovaculinary.com/recipe/wBFBBjRzK6RpPrqNuWLR

From the former, the idea of using a dry brine is a very good idea.  Dry brining is the way of the future, IMO.  Perhaps instead of blanching the bird in a pot of boiling water (an awkward pain-in-the-butt), I can use the Anova to steam it for a minute or two?

No one seems to mention this option, but I bet that spatchcocking the bird would be an improvement over the traditional truss+stuffed cavity approach.

For the oven times and settings, perhaps it is safest to stick with Anova's recommendations for duck.  Anyone have any improvements or other ideas?

5 hours ago, DaveJes1979 said:

Can anyone recommend how to cook a goose in the Anova oven?  I really have had it with turkey for Thanksgiving, and since my parents are worried about the 'rona this year, I can cook what I want for my wife and kids.

I only know that, as with duck, you can't just cook a goose like you would a chicken. Apparently, gotta render off the layer of fat under the skin.

There is one recipe that uses a traditional oven that I'm using as reference:  https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/12/roast-goose-and-gravy-recipe.html

Then there is a recipe for duck that uses the Anova oven...but it doesn't actually use the steam function:  https://oven.anovaculinary.com/recipe/wBFBBjRzK6RpPrqNuWLR

From the former, the idea of using a dry brine is a very good idea.  Dry brining is the way of the future, IMO.  Perhaps instead of blanching the bird in a pot of boiling water (an awkward pain-in-the-butt), I can use the Anova to steam it for a minute or two?

No one seems to mention this option, but I bet that spatchcocking the bird would be an improvement over the traditional truss+stuffed cavity approach.

For the oven times and settings, perhaps it is safest to stick with Anova's recommendations for duck.  Anyone have any improvements or other ideas?

I have modest goose experience and I have done well cooking it like duck in the oven or sous vide.

Save the fat for potatoes and veg.

7 hours ago, DaveJes1979 said:

First measure your goose.  One lament I had about the CSO is it would not accommodate a duck.

That said, my inclination would be to cook the goose the way one might cook a chicken in the APO.  Salt the meat.  Dry out the skin for a day or two.  Cook the goose in so called "sous vide mode" to whatever the internal temperature should be for goose.

Then crisp your creation at 250C.

I confide that the only time I was served goose was at a hotel in Frankfurt.  The meat was a little dry but it was more interesting than turkey.  Beer helped.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Hello,

I have been reading this topic with great interest.  Now that there are several owners / users of the Anova Steam Oven, I wonder if a consensus has been reached re the utility.  What I am really asking is, Santa has requested my list and I would like to know it I should consider this as my big gift.  (To be totally up front, I buy my own gifts and give them to either my wife or kids to wrap and give me!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Tuber magnatum said:

Hello,

I have been reading this topic with great interest.  Now that there are several owners / users of the Anova Steam Oven, I wonder if a consensus has been reached re the utility.  What I am really asking is, Santa has requested my list and I would like to know it I should consider this as my big gift.  (To be totally up front, I buy my own gifts and give them to either my wife or kids to wrap and give me!)

I like your style!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Tuber magnatum Indeed, I requested my own for my birthday. :-).

TLDR: For $600, its a great price for a combi oven. Get one, especially if you like to bake bread.

The APO is a combi oven for $600, which is one of the primary reason I got one. I didn't want to spend $4k on a Miele/Thermador/Whatever combi plus the added expense of plumbing and cabinetry.
In comparison to a Miele Combi which my friend with a nice(r) kitchen has, the APO clearly pales on the fit and finish columns. But it shines where it needs to.

I find the APO pretty adequate for most everything I would consider cooking right now. I am not planning to cook a whole goose or a leg of lamb in there. ( Maybe a small leg might even fit)

If you like baking bread, a steam oven will definitely change your life. If you're used to making bread in a dutch oven, the APO is far far superior and you can make small loaves if you feel like it.

@CanadianHomeChef wrote a nice review on his website. https://www.sizzleandsear.com/equipment-reviews/anova-precision-oven-review/

tbh, i havent yet the missed the perforated pan thats in many of the recipes. I just use a cooling rack and it seems to be pretty good.

I thought I would hate using the app but I am very pleasantly surprised that I actually like the app a lot. Especially once you're cooked a recipe a couple of times, you can just either bookmark it so that the preheat and staged cooking is all preset or you can create your own stages which is not very difficult either.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kostbill said:

Since you want the skin to crisp, why not cook without humidity and then crisp?

That's what the anova recipe calls for.

really giving second, third, and fourth thoughts to the APO. we have/had an electrolux convection microwave oven (extremely not recommended) and it's been slowly giving us electrical issues, and yesterday the door handle literally snapped off in two places when i opened it. i have a pair of vicegrips attached to the broken plastic mount for the moment.

• Sad 1

So where did we land on the toast front? The only way I think I'll ever be able to swing one of these is as a bonkers unnecessary upgrade to our toaster oven (which, frankly, isn't very good at making toast in the first place). Toast-making wouldn't be its primary selling virtue, but it would be our only toast maker / bagel toaster. Not that we eat that much toast (or that many bagels). I only know that I don't have room enough for both the Anova AND a standalone toaster...

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, btbyrd said:

So where did we land on the toast front? The only way I think I'll ever be able to swing one of these is as a bonkers unnecessary upgrade to our toaster oven (which, frankly, isn't very good at making toast in the first place). Toast-making wouldn't be its primary selling virtue, but it would be our only toast maker / bagel toaster. Not that we eat that much toast (or that many bagels). I only know that I don't have room enough for both the Anova AND a standalone toaster...

I like the toast from my APO.  I never was thrilled with CSO toast.  It should be said I don't bake sandwich bread, which probably toasts differently.

APO toast is not dark.  There probably is a way to get darker toast out of the APO, however I am just using the pre-programmed toast recipe.

Let me suggest you could store your toaster in the APO.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Let me suggest you could store your toaster the the APO.

Thinking "inside the box," as it were. :P

• Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

It is sad that even poor Paragon, who may or may not still be in business, provides a better app than anova.  Don't get me wrong, for the most part the anova app is functional, but then so is an outhouse.

They've been working on this for more than four years.

well , I was Thinking about This

then That

so I looked into an Anova oven :

No Free shipping ?

#(RT#_RYT(#b    ROER(_T#(RTY)#RTY}

drunk.jpeg.b0b3847c517a3a11b17a1c49398942b9.jpeg

now I do understand this  , sometimes that

that there is no free lunch 

but please Anova ,

put what you plan to chager

so the 20 Mule Borax  Ronnies favorite 

to get there 

Some Time

eventually 

into your price.

idiots 

29 minutes ago, rotuts said:

well , I was Thinking about This

then That

so I looked into an Anova oven :

No Free shipping ?

#(RT#_RYT(#b    ROER(_T#(RTY)#RTY}

drunk.jpeg.b0b3847c517a3a11b17a1c49398942b9.jpeg

now I do understand this  , sometimes that

that there is no free lunch 

but please Anova ,

put what you plan to chager

so the 20 Mule Borax  Ronnies favorite 

to get there 

Some Time

eventually 

into your price.

idiots 

Mine came with free shipping.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, rotuts said:

No Free shipping ?

When I checked with Anova a couple of months ago, standard shipping to any of the 48 states was free. (It's additional here to us in Hawaii.) What leads you to think there's now a shipping charge to a mainland state? I ask because I was planning to wait to order until I was back in WA....

Anova is still showing free shipping for the oven in the Continental US.

https://support.anovaculinary.com/hc/en-us/articles/201725960-What-are-the-shipping-options-