Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Oven


Recommended Posts

A question for those of you who already have your units. Is the convection setting such that this would adequately replace an air fryer? My daughter is jonesing for an air fryer; other daughter has one and uses it a lot. I am loath to get one if I can make a multi-use appliance do what one would do. 

 

Reports?

 

 

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I've read, even if it does "Air Fry" it would be massive overkill - as well as being 4 to 5 times the price and a air fryer is dead simple to use, again from what I reading here there's a learning curve to get it to do what you want.

 

p

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, palo said:

From what I've read, even if it does "Air Fry" it would be massive overkill - as well as being 4 to 5 times the price and a air fryer is dead simple to use, again from what I reading here there's a learning curve to get it to do what you want.

 

p

No, I'm planning to get an APO eventually anyway, as I am not one of those who has backup CSOs in the garage. I'm simply wondering if there's anything an air fryer can do that my CSO currently, or my future APO, can't do just as well.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Link to post
Share on other sites

In my opinion (I don't have the technology to measure airflow) the APO fan is more aggressive than that of the CSO.  Indeed the APO airflow can be more than I would like.  The APO offers three fan speeds but if the rear heating element or steam is involved in a recipe, the fan speed is locked on "hi".  It appears there is no way to use steam on low fan speed.  I would love to be proved wrong.

 

What would be considered a test of an air fryer?  And why would one want to air fry something anyhow?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

  And why would one want to air fry something anyhow?

 

 

If it were effective at frying without a gallon of oil I'd sign on for that. But after a lot of fooling around I think I can cook schnitzel better in a pan...and fries are at best tolerable when air. fried 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The APO offers three fan speeds but if the rear heating element or steam is involved in a recipe, the fan speed is locked on "hi".  It appears there is no way to use steam on low fan speed.

 

I don't have the oven (or realistically plan on getting one unless my BSOA dies), but my guess is that they are using the fan to pull the steam from the heating element into the oven and they need the extra velocity to create enough suction to move the steam.

  • Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My T shirt site: Guy Bling

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

Link to post
Share on other sites

Leftovers.  I heated a chicken breast, mashed potatoes, gravy and beans at 74C, 80% relative humidity.  Don't ask how long, I didn't measure.  Excellent.  Cranberry sauce and wild rice on the side didn't hurt.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, kayb said:

No, I'm planning to get an APO eventually anyway, as I am not one of those who has backup CSOs in the garage. I'm simply wondering if there's anything an air fryer can do that my CSO currently, or my future APO, can't do just as well.

Quick, easy cleanup, small quantity - I use mine mainly for frozen foods - fries, burgers, breaded fish portions - not a "cooker" per se but rather a faster more efficient alternative to frozen goods that suggest 20 minutes @ 400 - there's no pre-heat needed and I find because of the confined space less time required. Also gives nice browning on roasted vegetables frozen or fresh.

 

p

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2020 at 9:52 PM, KAD said:

Agree with @JoNorvelleWalker, there’s a lot of steam that rises from the bottom right vent and it’s not actually out the front. For me, It sort of rises to the side going towards the back. 
 

And there’s also a heat vents on top that get pretty warm.

 

If you have 6-8” on the water tank side and above it might be workable otherwise it’s probably not great for the cabinetry it’s going to sit in. 

 

Thanks to KAD and others who replied. Putting it inside a cabinet wasn't my first choice anyway -- thought of the heat factor but hadn't considered the escaping steam.  Anyway, the cramped access to the lower cabinet would have made this problematic in any case.

 

FWIW, I did ask Anova and got a very vague reply ... not that it should not be installed in a cabinet but that "enough space" should be allowed around the unit. Not exactly a spec.!! If I was going to pursue that option I would press them for specifics.

 

How about the option of outdoors, on a sheltered corner of a lanai (balcony)? It can be fairly well protected from the weather and 'cold' is not an issue (Hawaii) but it would still be outdoors.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Costco has the Oster French Door Oven on sale for $99. While I'm trying to figure out if I can make the APO work (and pay the crazy surcharges to get one to Hawaii), does anyone have experience with this Oster? I realize it's not steam (or fancy) but it does seem like a decent footprint and might do for some basic baking functions. What do you think?

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Keri AH said:

Costco has the Oster French Door Oven on sale for $99. While I'm trying to figure out if I can make the APO work (and pay the crazy surcharges to get one to Hawaii), does anyone have experience with this Oster? I realize it's not steam (or fancy) but it does seem like a decent footprint and might do for some basic baking functions. What do you think?

 

@Ann_T and @lemniscate have both mentioned it in posts.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

I ordered one and it will be here on December, or January.

I have some questions, here is the first:

In this recipe:

https://oven.anovaculinary.com/recipe/LjYcWMLjev3jf4UWmSCq

The porchetta is cooked in sous vide mode with full steam (100%)!

Am I wrong to assume that this is a waste of the oven capabilities?

The main reason one would prefer to do the porchetta in the oven instead of doing it in a waterbath, is because the outside will not have a good crust.

 

Why not use zero steam with sous vide mode? I thought that this is the major thing with the oven, just like they do with their chicken with skin recipe.

https://oven.anovaculinary.com/recipe/G8inaGUvRxFHGXAJ6C2n

 

Is there something I am missing?

Also, they are doing the same thing here, where it is supposed to need a dry environment:

https://oven.anovaculinary.com/recipe/dYW4t4rAXWRm9VkblK6C

 

Any help for my understanding?

Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My APO oven light went out today while the oven was on and set to 77F (to try and speed up some dough proofing)
 

anyone noticed this so far? 
 

my experience is that the oven light is always on unless it’s being turned off to keep the temperature low in Which case It is pretty cool. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, gfweb said:

I Dont know the answer for certain but I'd bet steam aids conduction in sous vide mode. 

I understand that.

I would like the anova recipe team to provide explanations on why they choose that mode or the other mode and perhaps compare results, even theoretical (that would probably improve crust etc).

I cannot even comment in that recipe and ask them.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

 

@Ann_T and @lemniscate have both mentioned it in posts.  

Between the CSO and the Oster I haven't used the oven in my stove in a couple of years.   I bake all my breads now using the CSO to start so I get the benefit of the steam and then transfer to the oster to finish baking.   This way I can bake 6 to 10 baguettes in a shorter amount of time.   

 

And so far I haven't found anything that I can't fit into the Oster.   I've roasted full size turkeys, hams, etc.  and even a six quart dutch oven fits.  I have the digital model but not sure that makes a difference.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody had issues with preheating taking FOREVER with 100% sous vide at 100C? I am trying to steam bagels and the last 10 degrees takes forever, and the temp, although trending up, goes up and down...

Edited by tikidoc (log)
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/28/2020 at 8:13 AM, Keri AH said:

FWIW, I did ask Anova and got a very vague reply ... not that it should not be installed in a cabinet but that "enough space" should be allowed around the unit.

FYI, I received a 2nd reply from Anova. This time the answer is "Thank you for contacting the support team! The Oven is to be set strictly counter top only."

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ann_T said:

And so far I haven't found anything that I can't fit into the Oster.   I've roasted full size turkeys, hams, etc.  and even a six quart dutch oven fits.  I have the digital model but not sure that makes a difference.

I just checked our Costco and the $99 (on sale) Oster ovens sold out on day one. But they say they may be getting more in. The sale runs nearly a month, so I can hope!

 

Meanwhile I continue to be puzzled by what Oster reports for the interior size of the oven. To questions posed on the Oster site, at least two answers report that the interior height (from "lower rack to top heater") is 6.85 inches. I'm looking at the product images and the photos & posts here. And under 7" just cannot be right. Can anyone explain why Oster would describe the interior this way?

 

Meanwhile I'll see if Costco (or BestBuy) has a display model to look at....  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tikidoc said:

Anybody had issues with preheating taking FOREVER with 100% sous vide at 100C? I am trying to steam bagels and the last 10 degrees takes forever, and the temp, although trending up, goes up and down...

 

I would not do steaming in sous vide mode.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dtremit said:

 

FWIW, the deal is also available online and they appear to be in stock.

Thanks. I saw that. However the shipping surcharge to Hawaii adds $65 to the price, making it less of a deal. I’ll consider that option toward the end of the sale window if I can’t snag it in the warehouse. IAC I need to see the Costco model first since there appear to be several Oster oven models and not all have the interior height for bread baking. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...