• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Oven

A few days ago I anovaed excellent 8 hour short ribs:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/160121-dinner-2020/?do=findComment&comment=2268897

Last night I had the same but cooked for 24.  Anova's recipe calls for 8 to 12.  I can't blame anova, 24 hours was a disappointment.  The meat was stringy.  But now I am sadder and wiser.  Or at least sadder.

• Like 2

The Silpats are now covered in apple slices that are beginning their journey towards dehydration.  I've never dehydrated anything before now, save for me before my mai tai.  It will be an experiment.

Per the anova recipe I prepared an acid bath.  For a liter and a half of water I chose two teaspoons of ascorbic acid and three teaspoons of malic acid.  For what it's worth I threw in a tablespoon of dextrose.  Don't know how the apples will turn out but the bath was pretty tasty.

One observation, on the two provided shelves I could only accommodate four apples.  Not an efficient method to put by the bounty of the season.

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The Silpats are now covered in apple slices that are beginning their journey towards dehydration.  I've never dehydrated anything before now, save for me before my mai tai.  It will be an experiment.

Per the anova recipe I prepared an acid bath.  For a liter and a half of water I chose two teaspoons of ascorbic acid and three teaspoons of malic acid.  For what it's worth I threw in a tablespoon of dextrose.  Don't know how the apples will turn out but the bath was pretty tasty.

One observation, on the two provided shelves I could only accommodate four apples.  Not an efficient method to put by the bounty of the season.

Loving the silpat idea. 

The oven has enough supports for 4 rows? Wonder if getting extra racks would be worth it, not so much for putting massive quantities away but would be cool making roll up fruit sheets 

30 minutes ago, EatingBen said:

Loving the silpat idea. 

The oven has enough supports for 4 rows? Wonder if getting extra racks would be worth it, not so much for putting massive quantities away but would be cool making roll up fruit sheets 

The anova recipe suggests buying extra racks.  I would too if I were selling racks.

• Haha 3
33 minutes ago, EatingBen said:

Loving the silpat idea. 

It looks like regular cooling racks fit nicely in the oven, so for light duty stuff like dehydrating, maybe worth reusing regular cooling racks.

And I love the idea of throwing a silpat on the rack, every time I used to make chicken jerky treats for my dog, the racks would sit for hours in the sink to get rid of the little crusted on pieces of chicken. Silpat!! Doh!

• Like 1

After 17 hours at 58C...

APOApples10252020.png

The apples were drier than fruit leather but not yet crisp.  I returned them to the oven.  Both sides of the slices seemed equally dry and there was no sticking, so I'd say the Silpats did their job.

Oh, and the slice I sampled tasted great.  If I didn't mention, these were Pink Lady.

• Like 5

First recipe, everything bagels. The only thing I would change in the recipe is that the bagels don’t have the flavor and browning that boiling in an alkaline produces. When I made them, I made a solution of baking soda and water and brushed it on half of the bagels after the steam but before baking. It made a big difference, and they tasted more like bagels.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, tikidoc said:

First recipe, everything bagels. The only thing I would change in the recipe is that the bagels don’t have the flavor and browning that boiling in an alkaline produces. When I made them, I made a solution of baking soda and water and brushed it on half of the bagels after the steam but before baking. It made a big difference, and they tasted more like bagels.

Is this really the same as boiled?

I like the idea of bagels but my dentation does not allow for chewing them.

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

No, it’s a bit softer than a proper boiled bagel. I only at one the day I made them, will update on a day 2 bagel today. I think the addition of the bicarbonate solution made the flavor pretty close. I also added a couple tsp of diastolic malt to the dough. So if regular bagels are too much for your teeth, these may be just right for you.

• Thanks 1

I'm trying to figure out the best place to place the APO. My counter space is very, very limited so I need to look into alternatives.

One would be to place it in a door-less under-counter cabinet space. Is there an issue with having the APO in an enclosed space (top, bottom, back & 2 sides, with an open air front)? I looked on the Anova site (spec sheet) but didn't see this discussed; also dropped them a note but haven't heard back.

Another alternative is to have it on the lanai (in a corner out of the weather).

Any reactions to these ideas?  Thanks!

• Like 1
18 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Day 2 bagel also softer than a regular bagel. 

• Thanks 1

Has anyone gotten the hang of multistage recipes?  For most of my working life life I've been involved in programming of one sort or another but I can't quite get it.  If anova has a programming tutorial some place I missed it.  Things happen but not always when I expect, what I expect, or what I want.

Programming is a powerful feature if you can control it.  Tonight I was baking bread.  I turned off the steam stage of my bake and the app screen went white.  I punched the panel of the oven (not wearing silicone gloves, of course) -- then I used the panel controls to continue the bake without steam.  No harm was done but the experience was frustrating.

Have faith, summer is coming to Bora Bora, we are almost there.

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Personally I would not put the oven in an enclosed space.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but don't they advertise it as being ok in an enclosed space? Can you let us know why you feel otherwise? And I'm leaning towards trusting your opinion! 

52 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but don't they advertise it as being ok in an enclosed space? Can you let us know why you feel otherwise? And I'm leaning towards trusting your opinion! 

I had not seen they advertised it as being OK in enclosed space.  I have seen steam (or at least hot water vapor) coming out.

Agree with @JoNorvelleWalker, there’s a lot of steam that rises from the bottom right vent and it’s not actually out the front. For me, It sort of rises to the side going towards the back. 

And there’s also a heat vents on top that get pretty warm.

If you have 6-8” on the water tank side and above it might be workable otherwise it’s probably not great for the cabinetry it’s going to sit in.