• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Oven

39 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

First bread in the APO.  I used Modernist Bread temperature and timings for a combi oven.  Again I am puzzled that the water level in the tank does not noticeably go down.  I must say the loaf is noisier than from the CSO.

Noisier?

23 minutes ago, Sartain said:

Maybe a more crunchy crust?

Indeed.

Tonight's loaf was a kilogram boule but the actual measured finished weight was 881.3 g.  I'm wondering now if I could even bake a miche!  I suspect I could!  Googling around I see Zingerman's bakery charges $28 for their four pound miche.*

*plus $43.99 for overnight delivery.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
5 minutes ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

Mine just arrived in Calgary Alberta. A lot larger than I expected! I use to fit a Breville Smart Oven air in the same place and the Breville is a dwarf compared to the Anova. Way more height. 

AB410DF9-2BB9-428F-A005-64D30959AA34.jpeg

FBC09A74-107E-4EF1-8F7F-EF138590DCD8.jpeg

Ah, I remember when the interior of mine looked new.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Preheating the rear burner now. Quick question for those who have it. Is it tough for you to remove the drip tray? I wasn’t able to remove it without lifting the oven. Can’t imagine when it’s full and the oven is cooking. Is there a secret to detaching it?

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

https://www.sizzleandsear.com/

In the app these are the recommended temperatures for steak. I know that steak is sterile inside so as long as I seat the outside I should be fine. However, this is for the sous vide express option... so I risk contamination of the inside the steak but poking it with a probe? Similar to mechanical tenderization? Will these temperatures sterilize my steak in the 30 minute estimate?  Seems risky but I don’t have pasteurization times and temps memorized for this low of a temp. 

D64F0CD0-AFB6-4993-93F7-EC2565ACAB97.jpeg

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

52 minutes ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

Preheating the rear burner now. Quick question for those who have it. Is it tough for you to remove the drip tray? I wasn’t able to remove it without lifting the oven. Can’t imagine when it’s full and the oven is cooking. Is there a secret to detaching it?

So far I have not seen a need to remove the drip tray.

12 minutes ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

In the app these are the recommended temperatures for steak. I know that steak is sterile inside so as long as I seat the outside I should be fine. However, this is for the sous vide express option... so I risk contamination of the inside the steak but poking it with a probe? Similar to mechanical tenderization? Will these temperatures sterilize my steak in the 30 minute estimate?  Seems risky but I don’t have pasteurization times and temps memorized for this low of a temp. 

D64F0CD0-AFB6-4993-93F7-EC2565ACAB97.jpeg

I doubt those temperatures will pasteurize your steak.

Wondering how hot the Precision oven gets on the exterior (especially the top) and does the steam all vent at the lower front? Any concerns about placing it under some cabinets? 

58 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I doubt those temperatures will pasteurize your steak.

Do you think I'm being overly paranoid about surface bacteria entering the steak through the thermometer puncture? Compared to mechanical tenderization, it's a whole lot less holes..... I typically sous vide at 131 which is a pasteurization temperature but for a really long time (much longer than I sous vide for). I tend not to worry about pasteurization as I know the bacteria on the surface will be killed with a good sear. But I don't normally puncture a hole in my steak prior to sous viding it....

I wonder if this is an unintended consequence of "Express Sous Vide" that wasn't thought about? Would be fine for chicken where you cook it at a temp and long enough for pasteurization; however steak isn't typically cooked to pasteurization because it's assumed that'll be taken care of during the sear.... 

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

33 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

There's no need to pasteurize tender proteins that are going to be served immediately. Those temps/doneness-levels seem off to me. 127F for medium? No no no...

Me too. Seems Anova agrees with me as they are checking the recipe and thanked me for the feedback. 

I've got two rib eyes cooking right now at 129f (what I consider medium rare). Didn't do the probe as I didn't want to puncture my food at these low temperatures due to surface bacteria not getting heated once it's brought to the inside. 

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

10 hours ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

Me too. Seems Anova agrees with me as they are checking the recipe and thanked me for the feedback. 

I've got two rib eyes cooking right now at 129f (what I consider medium rare). Didn't do the probe as I didn't want to puncture my food at these low temperatures due to surface bacteria not getting heated once it's brought to the inside. 

I don't think that puncture is a worry with short cooking times and immediate serving. Bugs won't have time to grow much.