• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Oven

My "batch 1" order of Sept 3 finally has a tracking number, is expected to be shipped Mon (10/12) from PA, and is expected here in California Mon 10/19. Sigh. Seems like forever.

12 minutes ago, Robin G said:

My "batch 1" order of Sept 3 finally has a tracking number, is expected to be shipped Mon (10/12) from PA, and is expected here in California Mon 10/19. Sigh. Seems like forever.

Don't feel bad.  Mine was shipped from California to New Jersey.

I'm currently steaming two chicken breasts at 70C.  The plan is to brown one for dinner.  I had wanted mashed potatoes but my back is out* and the prospect of mashed potatoes is more than I can face.  Baked potato is the best that I can do.

Anova suffers from name recognition.  I was telling my daughter in law about the APO.  She had not heard of the company.  I explained the oven was new but they were better known for their circulators.  Later I was showing her the oven in my kitchen.  That time my son informed her "We have an anova, it's the thing we use for sous vide."

*possibly having to do with lifting a certain oven.

• Like 2

In the Vegas youtube video there was talk of the unit recycling steam and dehumidifying the oven when you opened the door to save cupboards from steam damage.

does it do that when you open it, suck the steam inside?

“Do you not find that bacon, sausage, egg, chips, black pudding, beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, fried bread and a cup of tea; is a meal in itself really?” Hovis Presley.

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

P.S. as long as your internet is up.

Interesting side effects of Alexa or Google controlled lights and sockets, the internet is out so none of them work, so you stumble around in the dark trying to find a flashlight. Then search for a non-internet controlled socket so you can plug the kettle in for a coffee. But that's only half the battle because if was a power outage and everything is non-functional, there's no point in plugging in the kettle and when the power comes back on all the lights in the house come on as well. You have to go around the house saying "Alexa turn off kitchen, Alexa turn off living room, Alexa turn off..." Yes I could easily set up a routine to turn everything off but that would be too easy!

It's worth it when it works but a pain when it doesn't.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'm currently steaming two chicken breasts at 70C.  The plan is to brown one for dinner.  I had wanted mashed potatoes but my back is out* and the prospect of mashed potatoes is more than I can face.  Baked potato is the best that I can do.

Anova suffers from name recognition.  I was telling my daughter in law about the APO.  She had not heard of the company.  I explained the oven was new but they were better known for their circulators.  Later I was showing her the oven in my kitchen.  That time my son informed her "We have an anova, it's the thing we use for sous vide."

*possibly having to do with lifting a certain oven.

Have you ever started, because I can't find it, the "What do Hoarders Cook While Reading eGullet" topic?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

9 hours ago, adey73 said:

In the Vegas youtube video there was talk of the unit recycling steam and dehumidifying the oven when you opened the door to save cupboards from steam damage.

does it do that when you open it, suck the steam inside?

I don't think the oven sucks steam inside.  However it is remarkably conservative of water.  Steaming chicken breasts for over two hours did not visibly reduce the water level.  Steaming that long in the CSO probably would have drained the tank.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I don't think the oven sucks steam inside.  However it is remarkably conservative of water.  Steaming chicken breasts for over two hours did not visibly reduce the water level.  Steaming that long in the CSO probably would have drained the tank.

I have also noticed minimal usage of water especially considering the size of the oven.  

• Like 1
On 10/10/2020 at 6:14 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

You'd think they might ship to California customers from California.  Mine would have arrived a lot quicker from Pennsylvania.

I got lucky.  Got my FedEx notice on Saturday - shipping PA to PA - expected Tuesday by the end of day.

• Like 2

Cognito ergo consume - Satchel Pooch, Get Fuzzy

On 10/11/2020 at 3:33 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Better if you have someone like Kenji to help you.

Alas, he's too busy playing with sausages.

14 hours ago, Sartain said:

I got lucky.  Got my FedEx notice on Saturday - shipping PA to PA - expected Tuesday by the end of day.

I'm green with jealousy.

Why is there no corresponding reaction emoticon?

4 hours ago, Robin G said:

I'm green with jealousy.

Why is there no corresponding reaction emoticon?

Robin, I'm afraid I have worse news.

The oven has arrived.  

But it's still in the box.  Does that help?

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

Cognito ergo consume - Satchel Pooch, Get Fuzzy