• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Oven

of course :  it has options to

1) Allow a specific connection

2) ask about a specific connection

3) deny a specific connection

any or all for a specific application , for a specific time period 

or ' until app closed '

at least Id know how many times Anova was doing this or doing that.

which is the idea of the app

1 minute ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

More in Celsius these days.  And all my culinary thermometers are set to Celsius.  Room temperature though I can only think in Fahrenheit.

Have you noticed that your food is less tasty?

Centigrade is for fevers and gas equations.

• Haha 4

back when I was

a student in Trade School

mid-west North  , very windy city , on the S.Side

they used C to evaluate the Material

then when I moved on to

Scut-Dog and Slave ( myself ) institutions 

directly in BOS

they did the same thing.

so  F for the CSO etc

C  for , well , you know 

• Like 1

Long time lurker here ( This might be the first post....:-O), Did anyone figure out what they used for a baking steel in the Bread video?

It looks like a lodge griddle but I dont know.

Apologies if this was already figured out earlier.

• Like 2

This morning I reheated fried rice at 350 degrees, 100% steam, rear heater for 15 minutes and it was perfect.  I whisked two extra eggs and cooked them along the rice over the past 8 minutes.  Eggs were over cooked, 4 minutes should be good enough.  Over cooked eggs are ok in fried rice.

5E3837FB-44AA-466B-8C1B-8A8CE7F3779B.thumb.jpeg.0b731a11b62721352d33f5025aac41a3.jpeg

60A5FE91-C063-4B3A-9E63-04FA76E6F5E2.thumb.jpeg.18a75bb1f835e9677ef6339a7d96f3f2.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I received my new 1/4 inch baking steel.  No energy to clean it up right now or try it.  Hopefully it's weight will not overwhelm the oven racks.  Sorry, no picture.  I regret I've been photonically challenged the past few weeks.  Can't wait to assay bread in the APO.

• Like 1

My order (made during the first round) still shows that it is "processing" so no FedEx notice.

I will try to practice patience and learn from you all.

Kenji Lopez-Alt has received his and has posted an unboxing video: 

• Thanks 2

Cognito ergo consume - Satchel Pooch, Get Fuzzy

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

If it takes him 18 minutes to take the thing out of its box, he better call Alton to learn how to use it.

And Kenji works for anova in some capacity

• Like 1

I am feeling the burn. Steam. Something. I think I am going to have to order one of these damn things. Which is how I felt about the CSO, and when I got it, I loved it. I wonder if I would love the APO as much.

I am not a huge toast eater. But I have not seen a review from the APO practitioners regarding toast. Do tell, y'all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

I am feeling the burn. Steam. Something. I think I am going to have to order one of these damn things. Which is how I felt about the CSO, and when I got it, I loved it. I wonder if I would love the APO as much.

I am not a huge toast eater. But I have not seen a review from the APO practitioners regarding toast. Do tell, y'all.

CSO is easier to set but the APO gives more control.  I am in the minority that felt the CSO never gave good toast.

• Thanks 1

Would people who already have an APO please start using and posting more and making more YouTube videos so that I can fight harder to not buy one please! 

These things seem so good, I’d love to do a sous vide pork belly in one.

• Like 1

I’ve had sous vide meats that have been sous vide in an oven before. The pork belly skin ain’t anywhere near as soaked and actually developed a crackle that was very nice, red meat was still just as juicy but the outside sear was just better from not having soaked in it’s own juices. 

I love sous vide, I use it all the time (almost daily) but I want more from sous vide that I can’t get from the bagged approach.

I should clarify, the meat itself wasn’t better because it was sous vide in an oven over a bag, it was still as tender and delicious, the results where the same but just finished better. 

another one however, custards in an accurate temp controlled oven, eggs, the list goes on. I can I,aging hundreds of different things I can do in an oven with accurate temp control to sous vide levels even just for presentational 

Edited by EatingBen
To clarify my view. (log)
  • Like 2

however , the strength of a sealed bag is that

after SV , using the proper temps and times

the contents are pasteurized, and thus will keep for some time in a cold

refrigerator if properly rapidly chilled.

a big bonus when doing multi-le bags

however , ASO might do a fine job for a smaller quantity 

w/o rigging up your SV system.

I see APO as a supplemental SV system.

sort of like the currently popular ' single dose ' method

Very true and you can still bag sous vide in an oven. I wouldn’t give up a water bath but want the ability to do more that don’t require some weird platform type setup to use ramekins or making egg bites in Teflon coat cups, or making just a ton of stuff where temp control and not having to resort to jars is ideal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1