• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Oven: Features, Accessories, Troubleshooting, and "Should I Buy One?"

FauxPas

My Fault , as usual :

should have used the abbreviation 

FBSO.

Miele has been making home cob's for some time.

they've had a built- in for a while.

it wasn't very big.

for a while i was thinking of their Top of the Line

induction Range :  Induction top , electric oven below in one unit.

that one you could plumb-in and get steam baking via a program for bread.

it was  very expensive.    i never wjent that route for a variety of reasons

the largest was as soon as i got it , they would come out w the same model as a complete

Combi.

why there isn't a fairly priced complete combi   ie 30 "  electric ' Range '

Ill never understand.   it would cost no more than double

the higher end ranges one now sees in HomeDepot.

for the stainless steel  of course        total cost ?

$ 2,000  tops ?  induction top ?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, palo said:

I followed CSO, BSO and APO, but now I'm at a loss "FBSO"???

p

Click.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, rotuts said:

why there isn't a fairly priced complete combi   ie 30 "  electric ' Range '

Ill never understand.   it would cost no more than double

the higher end ranges one now sees in HomeDepot.

for the stainless steel  of course        total cost ?

$ 2,000  tops ?  induction top ?

Ranges are a surprisingly regional thing, but I can't for the life of me understand why we can't get a more affordable steam wall oven. Can always mount that under a cooktop.

E.g., across the pond they can buy this: https://www.bosch-home.co.uk/product-list/cooking-baking/ovens/built-in-ovens/HRG635BS1B

Street price in the UK is about £925 including VAT -- £785 before VAT, which works out to about $1,000.

In the US, the non-steam model from the same series sells for $1,800: https://www.bosch-home.com/us/productslist/cooking-baking/wall-ovens/single-ovens/HBE5452UC

• Like 1

@dtremit 

but the vast majority of folks like Me

have a stand alone Range 

some , design their kitchen for This and That

and have Built-Ins 

fine 

combi over

decently designed 

as a ' range '

missed the comgomeraits 

sad Id say.

So I caved.  Put in for a preorder. Rationalized it with the fact that I can cancel it at anytime if I have second thoughts and the 100 day money back guarantee.

If you really can sous vide in it, it'll be a game changer for me as I seldom sous vide because filling up the water vessel can be so tedious. They say bagless sous vide, which is interesting to me. But I've also seen other combi-oven videos online where people still bag. Anyone have experience with both?

If I really like it, I'll be getting rid of my CSO which has been collecting dust anyways as I have a Breville Air Smart Oven on my counter for most cooking tasks. I'm wondering if this will replace the Breville Air for me as well? If I sell both I can probably get at least half the dollars I spent on the APO. 

I've also been looking at Miele's... this won't happen until I buy my own place, but if I really like ASO, I'll be looking for a kitchen where I can easily install a Miele.... but I can't find any dealers in Canada who sell them? Anyone? The Menu cooking looks super interesting. 

• Like 4

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

https://www.sizzleandsear.com/

12 minutes ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

So I caved.  Put in for a preorder. Rationalized it with the fact that I can cancel it at anytime if I have second thoughts and the 100 day money back guarantee.

If you really can sous vide in it, it'll be a game changer for me as I seldom sous vide because filling up the water vessel can be so tedious. They say bagless sous vide, which is interesting to me. But I've also seen other combi-oven videos online where people still bag. Anyone have experience with both?

If I really like it, I'll be getting rid of my CSO which has been collecting dust anyways as I have a Breville Air Smart Oven on my counter for most cooking tasks. I'm wondering if this will replace the Breville Air for me as well? If I sell both I can probably get at least half the dollars I spent on the APO. 

I've also been looking at Miele's... this won't happen until I buy my own place, but if I really like ASO, I'll be looking for a kitchen where I can easily install a Miele.... but I can't find any dealers in Canada who sell them? Anyone? The Menu cooking looks super interesting. 

http://ca.miele.ca/Onbank/en/Product/Details/881

You might contact them.

28 minutes ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

but I can't find any dealers in Canada who sell them? Anyone? 

Miele's are sold in pretty much every single appliance store in Edmonton, surprised you can't find one in Calgary. Trail Appliance has them, even Best Buy.

I suspect Miele will release the new 7000 series in Canada next year so might be worth waiting. They just released the 7000 dishwasher recently. The current 6000 series has been out for a while.

Edited by rob1234 (log)

On 8/25/2020 at 2:19 PM, rotuts said:

@dtremit 

but the vast majority of folks like Me

have a stand alone Range 

Folks like you *in the US and Canada* – which is a pretty big caveat. Ranges are a much smaller percentage of the mix in other countries, and even in countries where they *are* popular, the typical size is different. (In particular, the 30" size that's most common in the US is uncommon elsewhere -- much more likely to see a 60cm/24" or 90cm/36" model.)

A 30" range with a steam oven in it would need to be built from a clean sheet of paper -- a tall order when it's a product that most people in the US market don't understand. (Look at how long it took to even get convention ovens in standard ranges.)

On the other hand, wall oven sizes *are* more or less standardized across markets -- or at least, European sizes can easily be accommodated in US kitchens. So it's frustrating to see companies like Bosch who have steam ovens ready to sell that just don't bother to bring them here. Especially when they sell the non-steam version of the exact same oven here.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PositiveMD said:

@CanadianHomeChef For what it's worth, in modernist cuisine, they stated that the temperatures inside the rational combi ovens weren't very accurate below ~140 F. So I'm not sure how accurate this oven would be compared to the rational ones. 

A smaller oven could be an advantage in this regard -- less space to cover with temperature sensors and quicker response when the temp needs to change. (OTOH, probably easier to overshoot.)

That said, lots of useful sous vide tasks at 140F and above. You might not get a perfectly rare steak, but steaks are easy to do in a water bath. But short ribs braised in a sauce would be a game changer.

Likewise, if it's accurate above 140F it's useful for all manner of egg dishes where bagging or jarring underwater is a huge pain. 

For vegetables I see two advantages. One, low barrier to entry. If I'm serving carrots as a side dish on a weeknight, I'm not going to drag out a circulator and bag the carrots; I'm just going to roast them. Being able to do SV in the oven makes it an equivalent effort. On top of that, being able to temperature control a vegetable dish that's hard to fit into a bag would be really fantastic -- I can't be the only one who avoids making gratins because I can never get the potatoes done just right.

Edited by dtremit (log)
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, palo said:

Just to understand better your perspective, which country are you in?

p

I'm in the US. Just figured if I just said "in the US" someone would correct me and say "Canada has the same size ranges" 😀

I'm delighted, most seriously, to see Hsiao-Ching Chou flogging up the APO as a recipe developer:

https://anovaculinary.com/meet-hsiao-ching-chou-anova-precision-oven-recipe-creator/

Dinner tonight is leftover Hsiao-Ching Chou dry fried green beans (reheated in the CSO).

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 hours ago, chefmd said:

DH preordered it for me.  But how can I choose between it and CSO!  CSO and I go way back.

You can always have another CSO at the beach house.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

For anyone still on the fence, Anova is now warning "quantities limited".

Interestingly compared to Cuisinart, Anova's chicken recommendation is for no steam at all.  There is also an explanation of the steam setting.  At or below 100C the numerical setting is the relative humidity in the oven (as long as the percentage is above the ambient relative humidity).  Above 100C the percentage is how hard the steam boiler is driven.

• Like 1