• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Oven: Features, Accessories, Troubleshooting, and "Should I Buy One?"

FauxPas

30 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Anova has decided that they need to replace my oven.  @TdeV, how did you get your oven back to them?  Did you keep the original shipping box?

What were your issues?

p

My oven is also being replaced (due to drip tray overflow issues). I'm grateful for the good customer service but annoyed by the hassle. I kept my original box (in a guest bathtub!) but that wasn't a requirement for the return. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, cyalexa said:

My oven is also being replaced (due to drip tray overflow issues). I'm grateful for the good customer service but annoyed by the hassle. I kept my original box (in a guest bathtub!) but that wasn't a requirement for the return. 

It does give me pause how many are being returned 

• Like 1

On 2/22/2022 at 2:53 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

For no apparent reason my anova oven has started speaking Fahrenheit.  Even though the anova app is set to Celsius.

It is a smart oven.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, palo said:

I had a Breville failure (fan bearing) and my CSO decided to stop steaming

p

43 minutes ago, gfweb said:

@Shelby, somewhere on eG has a fix for the unclogging of steam flow

You can find the instructions here

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

@Shelby, somewhere on eG has a fix for the unclogging of steam flow

Tried that but to no avail - maybe my CSO was really, really sick or I just didn't execute well enough

Actually the trick that finally worked was to purchase an APO 😀

p

• Haha 3

I'm not sure if my APO failed or if I broke it. But a warranty issue regardless.

I have no knowledge of the door ever being slammed open (thus breaking the hinge). Nor of there being anything amiss with the oven before that day.

The APO smelled bad, so I cleaned with oven cleaner. The online Anova instructions said to wipe down to remove oven cleaner, then heat to 300°F, meanwhile to open the oven door and spray in some water to rinse down the walls. Which I did but the oven still smelled of oven cleaner, so I sprayed in some more water. Maybe a few times.

The plastic container for water melted (a hole) about 2/3 up (fortunately water level low). But I don't know exactly why. I was not clear if the door wasn't closing and thus the heat leaked and melted the water container, or if my spraying water inside the oven caused the steam to shoot out and melt the water container, or if my spraying water wasn't fully contained in the oven and thus "overshot" the edge and then the heat of the oven melted the water container.

Anova was prompt in reply and they agreed to replace the oven. I don't expect they will ever tell me why it occurred.

Replacement APO has arrived. The new water container is shielded by a thick layer of black plastic. See photo in Jon S's post

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2022 at 1:11 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Anova has decided that they need to replace my oven.  @TdeV, how did you get your oven back to them?  Did you keep the original shipping box?

I had my old box & foam but they also offered to send me the new one so I’f have proper snug packaging for the old one.

• Like 1

I came home tonight to an anova on my doorstep.  I got it up a flight of stairs.  The oven is now unboxed and resting in the living room.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

27 minutes ago, palo said:

Well done Super girl. It is definitely heavy and unwieldy!!!

p

Note, I didn't say I'd gotten it to the kitchen counter yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

For anyone who has had their APO replaced,

I just got my replacement set up and haven't used it with steam yet. It arrived just in time, my CSO started leaking yesterday. 

• Like 3

Use case for the anova app:  I was able to start dinner while my robot was still wet mopping the kitchen floor.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 3/24/2022 at 6:50 PM, TdeV said:

For anyone who has had their APO replaced,

Are you finding the steam oven more efficient?

(Both dishes I made tonight became soaked with water).

@TdeV, I used the sous vide function on some ribs (too rainy and cold to smoke or grill). As best I can tell, the new oven might get a bit steamier than the original. 

• 4 weeks later...

So I’ve managed to hold of buying the oven and I’ve been watching this thread and also looking at the issues that have cropped up. 

‘’I’m still seriously considering it, but just wondering if it’s worth it? Does people find it does what it says on the tin? And does it do it well?

• Like 1