• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Oven: Features, Accessories, Troubleshooting, and "Should I Buy One?"

FauxPas

56 minutes ago, TdeV said:

I've just cleaned my APO and I re-reminded that I don't understand how to clean the top (inside).

First, I heated the oven to 140°F with 100% steam. Then I sprayed oven cleaner on the sides, base and the sides of the back (attempting to avoid the fan). I also got some oven cleaner on the edges of the top of the oven (because it was covered in grime) but I didn't want to get too much on the heating element.

After the oven had time to rest (couple hours), I wiped down the oven with a sponge and really hot water. I ended up poking the sponge under the top elements. It's still pretty grimy up there.

What do you do?

Turn off the smoke detector when it comes on.

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed the anova app now has a quick start menu for:

Steam

Air Fry

Convection Bake

Proof

Bake

Dehydrate

Broil

I may take one for the team.  Warning, as soon as you click on a quick start selection, the oven starts.  (Except for @rotuts of course.)

• Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, FlashJack said:

Thanks Jo. I think that menu has been there for some time but I've been wary of it. Look forward to your report.

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/163549-dinner-2022/?do=findComment&comment=2330522

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this was mentioned upthread ... Dave Arnold hosted one of the Precision Oven's engineers on his podcast last year. Discussion is interesting, and includes explanations / remedies for some of the oven's problems. They also get into the history and technology of combi ovens and c-vap ovens. Dave considers the APO the Muhammed Ali of reheating pancakes and fried food.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Notes from the underbelly

22 hours ago, paulraphael said:

Not sure if this was mentioned upthread ... Dave Arnold hosted one of the Precision Oven's engineers on his podcast last year. Discussion is interesting, and includes explanations / remedies for some of the oven's problems. They also get into the history and technology of combi ovens and c-vap ovens. Dave considers the APO the Muhammed Ali of reheating pancakes and fried food.

Yep, it was mentioned but I don't think there was much interest at the time.  I thought it was a good episode. 

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, SherryCobySam said:

Moving into a new apartment. I can buy a microwave and update my 12-year-old Breville toaster oven, or I can buy an APO. Thoughts?

As if you had to ask.

• Haha 1

@SherryCobySam, welcome to eG – the land of great enablers! Hope you find fast friends here.

I've had an APO for about a year. There are some really interesting foods and methods to discover. Making toast is a 7 or 8 minute process, and the only process for which I use the app. My DH tried making toast once or twice but gave up. I ended up buying a $40 toaster. We still have our microwave, but when it busted, I bought a much smaller one.

I vote with @JoNorvelleWalker and suggest you get an APO.

P.S. My APO is busted and Anova Culinary has promised to send out a new one after they get mine back (Anova paid for the shipping).

Edited to add that I *assumed* that Sherry was new to eG. Not true! Has been a member longer than I. 🤣

Edited by TdeV
Updated (log)

2 hours ago, TdeV said:

@SherryCobySam, welcome to eG – the land of great enablers! Hope you find fast friends here.

I've had an APO for about a year. There are some really interesting foods and methods to discover. Making toast is a 7 or 8 minute process, and the only process for which I use the app. My DH tried making toast once or twice but gave up. I ended up buying a $40 toaster. We still have our microwave, but when it busted, I bought a much smaller one.

I vote with @JoNorvelleWalker and suggest you get an APO.

P.S. My APO is busted and Anova Culinary has promised to send out a new one after they get mine back (Anova paid for the shipping).

Edited to add that I *assumed* that Sherry was new to eG. Not true! Has been a member longer than I. 🤣

I’ve been a member but I mostly lurk. You’ve been more active. How did the APO break?

So basically a small microwave, which one? And a toaster and this thing and I’m set :)

I’ve been on the fence with this for a long time, it seems the move may be a good excuse. Do you have a picture of yours in the wild? I’m still trying to imagine how big it will feel

Hi Sherry. Info about the APO's maladies and causes soon. Both the microwave and the toaster were purchased based on price. The old microwave was 1.4 cuft, and the new one 0.9 cuft and made by Black & Decker. It's smaller and less powerful but it's quite satisfactory. The current toaster is a Lofter Long Slot (need that because most of our bread is from the bread machine), while the old one was a Breville and vastly superior. The thing is that DH was unwilling to use the APO; and I find that I now use the Lofter for toast. I have always wanted a toaster like I grew up with (pre-cursor to toaster ovens), but have not yet figured out how to use the APO for toasted cheese.

I definitely vote for the APO.

Edited by TdeV
More remarks. Of course. (log)
  • Like 2

My oven has developed a crack in the plastic in the front, below the water tank, right above the "T" in "CAUTION".  I took a picture, but the reflection reveals what I may or may not be wearing.

• Haha 4

New Stuff on APO. (Which probe is better? Why the change? -money saving or performance/issues?)

Is anyone aware of issues with the probe breaking? I’m on my second APO. My initial oven was unable to be connected to Wifi after many hours and variations. So the second one has come in and as I’m setting it up, I notice three things are different between them.

1. The tank has a black protective “sleeve” face. It can move (has some play), I believe this is to act as a buffer for heat, although it could also be a cheap and easy way to hide cracks that will appear.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2. There is a silicone piece (about 2 pencils thick, and about a that long too *#2 pencils*) that fits into the groove between the base of the water tank holder and the side of the oven. (To redirect steam/heat?)

3. The probe is shorter by a few cm and has changed jackets (No idea what the new material is, I assume the old material was a fiberglass cable jacket (woven/braided). This new one like a thermoplastic or silicone. Don’t know what the change was for and doubt I’d get a real answer if I asked customer support.

E82F4D6B-D67B-49E8-BCDD-ECDE20BDA39A.jpeg

3D0A0982-0086-4485-AB6E-9221EE3E61DC.jpeg

EDE7137E-9BD8-49D5-A018-FF33903D5B88.jpeg

D5C7BD6A-7403-439B-9A3F-3369FC3E9B6F.jpeg

C27AB1ED-6F18-4875-A767-5002B850E7F2.jpeg

A906AA97-6F02-41FA-9F22-135DE87BCFC4.jpeg

721521F4-9403-4248-9678-C6F9CEB1642D.jpeg

1D551712-E34D-474A-9CAE-0CE602F60528.jpeg

24A27D6B-43D2-40C9-B369-4849543A7EC3.jpeg

6AC29ACF-9E8B-494B-8EEA-7AFADBBA3C8F.jpeg

3AB8A5D1-3BCE-47DD-9807-D3F709E99839.jpeg

A5777ABD-78CA-425C-9A63-7A1342DED379.jpeg

749AA95F-1308-4159-B679-B074D76ADF84.jpeg

65C4C3B4-28B3-4970-B115-22500DFE2313.jpeg

8322B851-7607-4663-9AA7-A29671B785A0.jpeg

Edited by Jon S (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, TdeV said:

I got my new APO today and finally have my Anova app speaking to it!

Anova has decided that they need to replace my oven.  @TdeV, how did you get your oven back to them?  Did you keep the original shipping box?

Yes, Jo, I kept the original box. When Anova told me to send the oven back, they didn't seem to care much about how it was packaged (like they might *not* be refurbishing it 😂 ).

I usually have amazing volumes of packaging material. Pity you don't live closer.