• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Oven: Features, Accessories, Troubleshooting, and "Should I Buy One?"

FauxPas

Is the 15% black friday code good for the APO? Some of the comments on online ads seem to suggest it is standard

I am very interested in getting one asap so if this is a new discount it would be good incentive. Is there a code for free shipping?

6 hours ago, andrewk512 said:

Is the 15% black friday code good for the APO? Some of the comments on online ads seem to suggest it is standard

I am very interested in getting one asap so if this is a new discount it would be good incentive. Is there a code for free shipping?

This link showed up in my Facebook feed. I did not have to enter a code that I recall. 

https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-oven/?ab=true&utm_source=fb&utm_medium=paid social&utm_campaign_name=03. Oven Prospecting -- 9.29.21&utm_adset_name=10. lookalike %3A%3A oven customers (all purchases event)&utm_placement=Facebook_Desktop_Feed&utm_campaign_id=6255903135040&utm_ad_name=4516182151803691 %3A%3A early black friday %3A%3A oven %3A%3A 01 %3A%3A all excl UK NZ %3A%3A image %3A%3A 2021-11-04&utm_ad_id=6260411287240&fbclid=IwAR2abc12SVNTg14KfFjqdv255h_BdP4Iq-WykB_Nc_v_69JzIduyJkzPv4o

• Like 1

I read all 42 pages in this forum. Now I'm a tad apprehensive, especially about the update and connectivity issues. My CSO is still working so I will have that as a back-up and a crutch as I learn.  

Edited by cyalexa
typo (log)
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TdeV said:

Congratters @cyalexa. I shall look forward to your experiments . . . This fall I have been using the Anova for dehydrating fruits and vegetables.

I had a huge fig harvest this year. I have lots in my freezer, frozen whole, no prep or processing. I have no idea what they will be like when thawed but maybe I can dehydrate them in my new APO. 

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, cyalexa said:

I read all 42 pages in this forum. Now I'm a tad apprehensive, especially about the update and connectivity issues. My CSO is still working so I will have that as a back-up and a crutch as I learn.  

Remember that WiFi is not mandatory.  No law says you have to connect if you don't want to.  I believe everything except fan speed and multistage recipes are configurable from the front panel.  That said, my recommendation would be to connect.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

13 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Remember that WiFi is not mandatory.  No law says you have to connect if you don't want to.  I believe everything except fan speed and multistage recipes are configurable from the front panel.  That said, my recommendation would be to connect.

I will connect, if my phone is new enough for the app or if I can use my laptop. I want to take advantage of multistage cooking, even if just for toast, or to change from "reheat" to "keep warm" for subsequent pieces of pizza reheated in the kitchen while we are out in front of the TV. If I tell you I am dreading updating my computer from Windows 10 to Windows 11 I think you will understand. 

• Like 1

I use the front panel on the oven for everything except for the Toast 101 program.

I resent that one can neither create nor share one's own cooking programs. (Probably why I'm refusing to play in the sandbox. 🤣 )

For some things I have copious hand-written notes.

Edited by TdeV
Clarity (log)

43 minutes ago, TdeV said:

I use the front panel on the oven for everything except for the Toast 101 program.

I resent that one can neither create nor share one's own cooking programs. (Probably why I'm refusing to play in the sandbox. 🤣 )

For some things I have copious hand-written notes.

You certainly can create your own multistep cooking programs.  I outlined the procedure earlier in the thread.  For sharing you could send someone the steps and they could enter them themselves.

• Confused 1

Oh, the things that I have finally “bit on” because of eGullet… but really, I have never felt led astray. Yup… I finally bit.

• Like 4

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

As I await my new toy, I am pondering the placement of the beast. Do those of you who have it already have insight as to the advisability of setting a CSO atop it? I would never use both at the same time, so power draw is not my concern, rather the issues of heating up of the top surface of the APO or the effect of the weight of the CSO.

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

5 hours ago, BetD said:

As I await my new toy, I am pondering the placement of the beast. Do those of you who have it already have insight as to the advisability of setting a CSO atop it? I would never use both at the same time, so power draw is not my concern, rather the issues of heating up of the top surface of the APO or the effect of the weight of the CSO.

You could always store the CSO inside.  I exaggerate only slightly.

I can see the advantage to using both ovens at the same time, amperage permitting -- I wish I could -- but if you have an APO, for what would you rather use the CSO?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rotuts said:

my APO might arrive today.

having some space and Amp issues 

can lighter appliances be staked on top

of the APO , carefully and safety ?

I often pile a plate or pan on top of mine, but I'm not sure about an appliance.

@rotuts

First off -  congratulations - if you like the CSO you'll  love the APO

Couple of things, you might want to connect it to your wifi just to get the updates - I seldom use the app - there is a learning curve but in terms of steam usage, I just consider am I afraid of something drying out or do I want crispy and go from there - regarding appliance on appliance - it does put out a bit of heat (I use it to warm plates while whatever is cooking in the oven) so you might want to ensure some spacing

There are all kinds of facebook pages around, but the best and most reliable source I've found is:

https://community.anovaculinary.com/c/anova-precision-oven/31

From the horse's mouth so to speak :)

p

Edited by palo (log)
  • Like 2

thanks for the tips.

there is a good chance its groing too take me some tiome

before i get to putting the APO through its paces.

i plunged on the current deal 

and Im pleased I did.

so its going to be some time.

but Im looking forward to it.

tomorrows Im going to try to find it a nice 

comfortable place to rest , in its box 

until it's time.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rotuts said:

thanks for the tips.

i plunged on the current deal 

and Im pleased I did.

so its going to be some time.

but Im looking forward to it.

tomorrows Im going to try to find it a nice 

comfortable place to rest , in its box 

until it's time.

Put MC's blanket on it and he'll keep it safe until you're ready :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rotuts said:

So I'm guessing Thanksgiving turkey is probably a stretch - Christmas for sure!

p

• Haha 2