• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Oven: Features, Accessories, Troubleshooting, and "Should I Buy One?"

FauxPas

Maybe mine isn't connected to wifi as its been a while since I've used the app, so I got no upgrade prompts, but as I say I usually use it in manual mode - if that power cycling was universal then every APO would have been doing the same thing!!!

p

Thankfully, I have my device set to my needing to confirm upgrades (very bad experience with Calibre Companion). So I'm usually behind the times when it comes to upgrades.

Edited by TdeV
More to say (log)
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, FlashJack said:

No, Palo. As Jo correctly says below, the unit was powering up and down every minute or so. I don't think there was a way to take it off air and/or return to a stable state.

Anova has pushed a downgrade that makes the APO usable. It is v1.1.10.

The app is prompting me to update to 1.1.23 but I might wait a few days on that.

But performing the factory reset stopped the oven from power cycling and disconnected WiFi, which is why I got to eat my chicken thigh.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 hours ago, TdeV said:

Thankfully, I have my device set to my needing to confirm upgrades (very bad experience with Calibre Companion). So I'm usually behind the times when it comes to upgrades.

Why do you use  Calibre Companion as opposed to plain Calibre - CC is a paid app whereas Calibre is free - I use it with a Fire HD tablet and previously nwith many other devices (Sony EReaders etc) - works flawlessly

p

1 hour ago, palo said:

Why do you use  Calibre Companion as opposed to plain Calibre - CC is a paid app whereas Calibre is free - I use it with a Fire HD tablet and previously nwith many other devices (Sony EReaders etc) - works flawlessly

Calibre Companion is/was THE app to query the Calibre database (looking for a new book to read). A large upgrade was necessary and Chaley (original author) wanted to retire and found another guy to take over the app. But the new guy released a paid upgrade which failed to implement most Calibre Companion functions and was a total catastrophe. So, the new iphone app was utter trash and useless. Fortunately I immediately turned off upgrades to Samsung Android so I am still able to use the old Calibre Companion app there.

You'd think I would have remembered that I learned not to be on the bleeding edge of (mostly Microsoft) software decades and decades ago!

• Like 1

My APO is anxious to install a new update.  I am not sure if it is a fixed release or the same one that caused all the recent troubles.

In any event my dinner is cold tonight.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My APO is anxious to install a new update.

Jo you were cleverer than me in doing a factory reset.

As I understand you are on 1.1.32. Are you being prompted to install a version higher than that?

4 minutes ago, FlashJack said:

Jo you were cleverer than me in doing a factory reset.

As I understand you are on 1.1.32. Are you being prompted to install a version higher than that?

I am on 1.1.23.  I am being prompted to install 1.1.32.

BIG!!! to do about the new firmware push over at Anova Culinary Community Forums:

https://community.anovaculinary.com/c/anova-precision-oven/31

Seems the newest firmware push blew up pretty much everyone's oven - over 70 (and counting) unhappy campers - Anova has posted a fix and reverted back to a previous firmware version

At the the moment the only way to prevent a reoccurance is to disconnect from wifi

I asked about that and the response was "Will look into this for you. At this time there is not, short of disconnecting the oven from Wifi"

A further comment was "The last day’s experience clearly shows that this should be your top priority. One should be able to choose if when to download and install new software, What if you’re cooking for a big occasion and the oven starts behaving like it did this time? Probably happened to some people this time. So please, let us choose when to install new software."

Which is obviously the correct response Anova's wasn't

I still stand by all my kudos for this device and see this as just teething problems, but there does seem to be a disconnect between the manufacturer and the user

p

Edited by palo
tried to fix font (log)
  • Thanks 2

I was cooking dinner for outdoor diners and decided to raise/lower the temp by 5°. Instead of letting me do this, the machine started the descale cycle. I hit a few buttons to try to stop/cancel the descale cycle but was unable to. The program emptied tons of water into the oven (no tray at the bottom of the oven at the time). The way I got the machine to pay attention was by unplugging it. What a mess! The Descale light had been on for a while, but that automatic behaviour was preposterous.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, TdeV said:

I was cooking dinner for outdoor diners and decided to raise/lower the temp by 5°. Instead of letting me do this, the machine started the descale cycle. I hit a few buttons to try to stop/cancel the descale cycle but was unable to. The program emptied tons of water into the oven (no tray at the bottom of the oven at the time). The way I got the machine to pay attention was by unplugging it. What a mess! The Descale light had been on for a while, but that automatic behaviour was preposterous.

Factory reset is your friend.

6 hours ago, palo said:

Couple of interesting links to APO:

Oven Firmware Changelog - https://support.anovaculinary.com/hc/en-us/articles/360058146272-Oven-Firmware-Changelog

FAQ - https://support.anovaculinary.com/hc/en-us/sections/360008099312-Frequently-Asked-Questions

Some interesting tidbits in the changelog

p

I notice from reading the FAQ on the anova Alexa skill that you can ask Alexa to "Air fry my vegetables."  Which proves the APO is an air fryer.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

AS much as I hate to kick someone when they're down, whoever came up with anova's current firmware should be strung up by some part of their respective anatomy.  It is now almost impossible to set a temperature from the front panel.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

whoever came up with anova's current firmware should be strung up

Jo, I'm using firmware v 1.1.32 and am not having this issue. I know that doesn't help you but it may be that your problem is unrelated to the firmware debacle.

One thing that does bug me is that the timer display on the handle is much dimmer than the display of temperature and steam *except if it is displaying the digit 1*. It's as though the whole power budget goes into the two components of that digit. Have you noticed same?

Edited by FlashJack
typo (log)
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, FlashJack said:

Jo, I'm using firmware v 1.1.32 and am not having this issue. I know that doesn't help you but it may be that your problem is unrelated to the firmware debacle.

One thing that does bug me is that the timer display on the handle is much dimmer than the display of temperature and steam *except if it is displaying the digit 1*. It's as though the whole power budget goes into the two components of that digit. Have you noticed same?

No, I just looked.

My problem with setting temperature from the front panel is the change to setting temperature by tenths of a degree rather than by whole degrees.  Change is frustratingly slow until it goes real fast and you overshoot your setpoint.  Then in the other direction change is frustratingly slow until it goes real fast and you overshoot your setpoint.  Repeat.

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My problem with setting temperature from the front panel is the change to setting temperature by tenths of a degree rather than by whole degrees.  Change is frustratingly slow until it goes real fast and you overshoot your setpoint.  Then in the other direction change is frustratingly slow until it goes real fast and you overshoot your setpoint.  Repeat.

Agreed!

16 hours ago, FlashJack said:

I apologize.  I went to cook some beans just now and the timer display issue is exactly as you say.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FlashJack said:

It's weird Jo. Mine has hds this behaviour from the beginning.

As to temp settings, that control is as frisky as a colt.

It could be I never noticed the timer behavior before you called my attention to it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...