• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Oven: Features, Accessories, Troubleshooting, and "Should I Buy One?"

FauxPas

Searching further my current firmware version is listed as 1.1.20.  They say turning the lamp on or off is now an option.  At least I can report the oven still works.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Got my firmware update as well - 1.1.20 😀

As an aside, have not too many people purchased the APO or are they just quiet? The CSO topic has huge # of responses, the APO not so much.I realize the CSO at the time was a game changer but the APO has knocked it out of the park.

p

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, palo said:

Got my firmware update as well - 1.1.20 😀

As an aside, have not too many people purchased the APO or are they just quiet? The CSO topic has huge # of responses, the APO not so much.I realize the CSO at the time was a game changer but the APO has knocked it out of the park.

p

I can't answer for anyone, since I've never succumbed to the temptation, but a) the APO is twice the price; and b) I expect many of the CSO owners are standing pat while their ovens last.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Money quote from Jason's review:

If this product is supposed to replace a traditional oven, an air fryer, and the trusty toaster oven, it shouldn't require conjuring my system integration expertise at 8am to toast a bagel.

Edited by chromedome (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

15 hours ago, chromedome said:

I can't answer for anyone, since I've never succumbed to the temptation, but a) the APO is twice the price; and b) I expect many of the CSO owners are standing pat while their ovens last.

And I would add that the never used back-up CSO has to fail as well.  There are a few of us who have them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

And I would add that the never used back-up CSO has to fail as well.  There are a few of us who have them.

I have only two.

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

My backup Model T is still under a tarp.  😝

p

• Haha 4

On 5/19/2021 at 1:14 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

A multistage process that surely would give Jason flashbacks.  Yet the recipe is invoked by just one click.  One click.  The pizza was great, what can I say?

Yes, my most often used recipe is Toast (also multi-stage). 🤣

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

In the Anova Precision Oven Community I asked about using Alexa with the oven - here is the response:

What can you do with it?

Here are the voice prompts you can do with your Anova Oven and the Anova Oven Skill.

Say "Alexa, " followed by:

Preheat/Cook style command

• Preheat my oven to 350 degrees.
  • Set my oven to Sous Vide at 125 degrees.
  • Set my oven to Bake at 325 degrees.
  • Bake my cookies at 350 degrees in my oven.
  • Set my oven to Sous Vide mode at 125 degrees.
  • Air fry my vegetables at 400 degrees in my oven.
  • Set my oven to dehydrate at 140 degrees.

Modes

• Turn my oven off.
  • Set my oven to Sous Vide mode. [Alexa will prompt for a temp]
  • Set my oven to Proof. [Will set to Sous Vide mode, 100% at 85F]
  • Set my oven to Steam. [Will set to Sous Vide mode, 100% at 212F]
  • Set my oven to Convection Steam. [Will set to Sous Vide mode, 100% at 212F]
  • Set my oven to Bake. [Will set to 350F 0% steam.]
  • Set my oven to Convection Bake. [Will set to 350F 0% steam.]
  • Set my oven to Broil. [Will set to 450F 0% steam. Top Element]
  • Set my oven to Dehydrate. [Will set to 137F 0% steam. Bottom Element]

Food Probe / Cook to Core

• Sous Vide my chicken to 145 degrees in my oven.
  • Bake my pork to 165 degrees in my oven.

Cook with a Timer

• Sous Vide my fish in my oven at 125 degrees for 30 minutes.
  • Bake my cookies in my oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

Questions You Can Ask

• What is my oven’s temperature? (Oven must be cooking)
  • What is the temperature of the food in my oven? (Needs the food probe inserted)

Notes

• The responses Alexa gives are controlled by Amazon. We can’t edit or change these.
  • If you try cooking with the door open, the skill detects this, and prevents you from starting the cook until the door is closed.
  • If you try cooking to core with a food probe, but the probe isn’t connected, the skill will ask you to connect the probe.
  • For these last two notes above please note: There is a current PVT Firmware bug that prevents quick detection of the door closing/opening or probe being inserted/removed. This is known with a fix being worked. Currently it can take up to 5 minutes to detect these event. Or, if you open the app and then try the command again, this forces the oven to update state.

Obviously the commands only give partial control over the oven, but it might be handy for some

p

• Like 2

On 5/17/2021 at 10:04 PM, chromedome said:

Definitely in the latter category here — hoping my CSO will hold out until Anova has a v2 and I have a new kitchen to put it in :D 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

@JoNorvelleWalker

Jo! You made me do it. I bought an APO. What a Sleek Black Beauty.

I've only had it a few days so of course I have to buy accessories that suit such a gorgeous thing. I also know you like Team Farr, and I trust your judgement.

Will these Team Farr pans work well? I'm concerned about the fit -- it looks like they will just squeeze in but would like that confirmed if you can. The bigger the better but the tolerances are fine.

Second, do you have a full-width, slide-in rack recommendation? I can see using the APO for dehydrating and if I'm going to run it for, say, 12 hours I want to make sure it's full. Would like two more racks to maximise capacity. Any thoughts?

Best,

Jack

1 minute ago, palo said:

Congratulations Jack, you'll love it.

Indeed, palo, I have high expectations. I've done pizza, a sourdough boule, chicken Maryland. I'm sure it will take a bit of getting to know.

Thank you for the rack recommendation. They are on the pricey side for what they are but if they fit well, they're worth it.

regards,

Jack

PS: After just a few cooks the water tank is already showing signs of crazing. Come on: polymers aren't rocket science!

2 hours ago, FlashJack said:

Thank you for the rack recommendation. They are on the pricey side for what they are but if they fit well, they're worth it.

They fit perfectly, smoothly slide in and out of the grooves and are rigid enough that there is no concern of them popping out of the grooves.

I'll assume Amazon "down under" has the same return policies as here in Canada, so order one and if it doesn't do the job for you, return it. Yes they are pricey, but they do the job and there isn't an alternative. I ordered 5 different ones before I got these. I returned the others.

p

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FlashJack said:

PS: After just a few cooks the water tank is already showing signs of crazing. Come on: polymers aren't rocket science!

Write to customer service, Anova will replace the water tank. They also say they will replace the easily-buckling sheet pan, but so far they haven't done that.

I have bought a lot of accessories to fit in the APO, but none of them fits exactly, so I'm waiting to hear from Anova (which will surely occur someday.)

For now I'm using the racks which I bought for 1/2 sheet pans, which are a bit too wide for the oven, so they must go in at an angle. They are, however, perfectly adequate holding up chicken wings or thighs, just remember to put the official sheet pan on the bottom of the oven so that it can collect drips.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

They also say they will replace the easily-buckling sheet pan, but so far they haven't done that.

I have bought a lot of accessories to fit in the APO, but none of them fits exactly, so I'm waiting to hear from Anova (which will surely occur someday.)

For now I'm using the racks which I bought for 1/2 sheet pans, which are a bit too wide for the oven, so they must go in at an angle. They are, however, perfectly adequate holding up chicken wings or thighs, just remember to put the official sheet pan on the bottom of the oven so that it can collect drips.

They replaced mine:

Jo had her tank replaced

Check out the racks I recommended in previous post, they do fit exactly

p

• Thanks 1

@palo, I also have had my tank replaced. I mentioned to customer service at Anova that others had had their pan replaced, and they gave me some waffle about manufacturing delays.

The Hamilton racks seem really pricey, but I'll recheck the measurements. Thanks.