• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Oven: Features, Accessories, Troubleshooting, and "Should I Buy One?"

FauxPas

9 hours ago, kostbill said:

Thanks for verifying that.

Of course it is not impossible the new tank is made from different plastic.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 3/20/2021 at 9:04 PM, TdeV said:

Thanks @JoNorvelleWalker and @jimbo.

Do you have a recommended site to buy these pans?

Another TeamFar that I didn't know existed:

http://amzn.com/B07NQDBC6T

It's sitting in my shopping cart.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Two things:

1. Received my replacement sheet pan - seems really heavy duty, has ridges on bottom which should help with anti-warping 😀

2. In my web travels I stumbled across the user manual for the APO that they submitted to to the FCC:

https://fccid.io/2APBOAN900/User-Manual/user-manual-4793536

I haven't read it yet to see if there are any hidden "gems" as I was just getting ready to cook when Purolator arrived bearing gifts.

Enjoy your Friday

p

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My Descale light has turned on.

The manual @palo links to above mentions descaling pages 20-21, but just states "descaling solution" without mentioning what's in the solution, which is added to a litre of water. Then rinsed with another litre of water.

Searching "descale" this topic also doesn't produce specifics either.

I have both powdered citric acid and white vinegar.

How much should I use?

TIA.

@Tdev - I would use  a commercial descaler myself, but you're probably okay with your DIY - no idea on ratios - check decaling a coffee machine for suggestions

p

• Thanks 1

Just an aside - about two weeks from my email to them requesting a new pan (March 25/21) to having it delivered.

That and JoNovelleWalker  receiving a new water tank indicates to me that Anova is standing behind their oven (or we're just squeaky wheels)😋

p

Edited by palo (log)
  • Like 1

commercial descalers are often just citric acid anyway. when i descale the espresso machine i just put a few tablespoons into a couple of cups of hot water though undoubtedly the anova people can give better suggestions. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, palo said:

Just an aside - about two weeks from my email to them requesting a new pan (March 25/21) to having it delivered.

That and JoNovelleWalker  receiving a new water tank indicates to me that Anova is standing behind their oven (or we're just squeaky wheels)😋

p

I should ask for my new pan.

2 hours ago, TdeV said:

I have not received my new pan either. Nor my new water container.

You obviously aren't squeaky enough lol

Seriously I was impressed by the original speed of delivery of my APO, so I guess the pan arrival was not unexpected. You should email them again noting that others are receiving replacements - Good luck

Here's my email reply:

Ivy Relon (Anova Culinary)

Mar 25, 2021, 10:42 AM PDT

Hi Paul,

I’ve now put through a request to send for a new pan to ship out.

Kindly note though that it may take longer than usual as we're still waiting for inventory to come in. Once stocks are replenished we will let you know by sending the tracking number to your email.

Feel free to write back if there's anything else we can help you with.

All the Best,
Ivy Relon
Anova Culinary Support Team
http://anovaculinary.com

p

• Like 2

Here is my letter to Anova support:

My reading of the Anova Precision Oven manual suggests that the Descaling Indicator is triggered by the number of hours using steam. Is this action necessary if I am using ONLY distilled water?

The manual talks about using a "descaling solution" but it doesn't mention what's in the descaling solution.

On the internet I've found Branded descaling products for that brand's coffee maker, and commercial products for HVAC appliances, as well as others which sanitize and clean industrial and commercial water systems. Most of these products dissolve mineral deposits such as calcium, lime, rust, lithium carbonate and other types of deposits, from passages in water-cooled or heated equipment. Different formulas are available for metals, stainless steel, potable water systems, and marine applications. Neutralizer helps to make used solutions safe for disposal.

Are any of these relevant to the Anova Precision Oven?

I have powdered citric acid and white vinegar in my home.

What is the name of the descaling product which Anova Precision Oven wants me to use? What are the active chemicals in that solution?

[\end]

I will let you know what they reply.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Reply from Anova:

Thanks for reaching out. The descale process is triggered by hours of boiler usage. You may need to go through the descale cycle to help you preserve the lifetime of the Oven even if you're using distilled water..

I've attached a photo of the process. You can use any store brand descaler. There aren't any specific brands or things like that you should be looking out for. Here's an example.

https://www.amazon.com/Keurig-Descaling-Solution-Coffee-Makers/dp/B00FOT9W5Q

[\end]

So I guess I have to wait for an engineer to weigh in on distilled water. And buy a descaling solution to find out what's in it. 😡

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, TdeV said:

And buy a descaling solution to find out what's in it. 😡

They probably don't want to tell you what's in it so you don't make it at home for a few cents.

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/how-to-descale-a-keurig/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

With the caveat being that equipment here, using NYC water filtered via a Brita, never needs descaling. Or at least never appears to need descaling.

That's the CSO (first one 5 years) and the Silvia (over 10 years), as well as the inside of the kettle water gets boiled in for pour over coffee, which remain deposit free.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

With the caveat being that equipment here, using NYC water filtered via a Brita, never needs descaling. Or at least never appears to need descaling.

That's the CSO (first one 5 years) and the Silvia (over 10 years), as well as the inside of the kettle water gets boiled in for pour over coffee, which remain deposit free.

I recently tested the tap water in the new apartment with my TDS (total dissolved solids) meter (I use for my hydroponic garden) - it was 53ppm which is ridiculously low for unfiltered tap water. Yes, there's some chlorine in there but that's not a solid and will not create scale.  Normal household TDS is like 200-300ppm with some areas being even higher.  Some well water can be over 600ppm.  What's funny is that the tap water in the old apartment used to be this low, but for the last year or so there's been tons of construction in the area (water mains etc) and the TDS has been about 300 for a while now.  My new apartment is about a mile away from the old one.

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I recently tested the tap water in the new apartment with my TDS (total dissolved solids) meter (I use for my hydroponic garden) - it was 53ppm which is ridiculously low for unfiltered tap water. Yes, there's some chlorine in there but that's not a solid and will not create scale.  Normal household TDS is like 200-300ppm with some areas being even higher.  Some well water can be over 600ppm.  What's funny is that the tap water in the old apartment used to be this low, but for the last year or so there's been tons of construction in the area (water mains etc) and the TDS has been about 300 for a while now.  My new apartment is about a mile away from the old one.

Amazing, right?  

I curse like a sailor (well, I always curse like a sailor; my father was a sailor after all) every time I drive anywhere near your old apartment. The construction is insane when replacing water mains and god knows what else under these streets. (yay, water tunnel #3). And it's never ending, which is NYC in a nutshell. People don't have any idea what a pothole is!

But yeah, our water comes from a pretty great, clean source. 

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

22 hours ago, TdeV said:

Reply from Anova:

Thanks for reaching out. The descale process is triggered by hours of boiler usage. You may need to go through the descale cycle to help you preserve the lifetime of the Oven even if you're using distilled water..

I've attached a photo of the process. You can use any store brand descaler. There aren't any specific brands or things like that you should be looking out for. Here's an example.

https://www.amazon.com/Keurig-Descaling-Solution-Coffee-Makers/dp/B00FOT9W5Q

[\end]

So I guess I have to wait for an engineer to weigh in on distilled water. And buy a descaling solution to find out what's in it. 😡

not really. as i mentioned before, commercial descaling solutions are mostly citric acid. there's often a couple of other things; dezcal, for example, adds sulfamic and sulfuric acids, but even it's still more than half citric acid. you can just buy a 5 pound bulk bag of citric and dissolve it in water for your appliance descaling.

you can usually find out what's in them by looking up their msds.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

Amazing, right?  

I curse like a sailor (well, I always curse like a sailor; my father was a sailor after all) every time I drive anywhere near your old apartment.

Try driving it every day!!!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Sorry, I don't do Facebook, @palo, but it seems to me that a Self-Clean switch on the Anova might be preferable to a propane torch. 😜

I don't "do" Facebook either - I signed up, didn't enter any personal info and I have a blank page, but it gives me access to these sort of pages, I don't comment or "join" or "follow" - I guess you could say I'm anti-social - did the same thing with Twitter and Instagram - it's sort of like looking in the window but not going inside - my take

p

• Like 2

Yes, I've read the thread and more. Since the corrupter @JoNorvelleWalkerwhispered in my ear a week ago I have an undeniably urge for this piece of kit.

When my regular oven died three years or more ago I bought the CSO and have used it ceaselessly. I love it. It has all the noted demerits: too small, burns loaf tops, two-hour max is mighty frustrating. But I will give it to a good home.

Does the APO do a delayed/timed start? Yes, I've read the thread.

I wish all these machines (and that includes my fancy dishwasher and over-educated washing machine) would let me have control: dial in start/finish/temp/steam %/spin RPM etc. Like a grown up who doesn't want someone else's press-button algorithm. I still like analogue equalisers.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, FlashJack said:

Yes, I've read the thread and more. Since the corrupter @JoNorvelleWalkerwhispered in my ear a week ago I have an undeniably urge for this piece of kit.

When my regular oven died three years or more ago I bought the CSO and have used it ceaselessly. I love it. It has all the noted demerits: too small, burns loaf tops, two-hour max is mighty frustrating. But I will give it to a good home.

Does the APO do a delayed/timed start? Yes, I've read the thread.

I wish all these machines (and that includes my fancy dishwasher and over-educated washing machine) would let me have control: dial in start/finish/temp/steam %/spin RPM etc. Like a grown up who doesn't want someone else's press-button algorithm. I still like analogue equalisers.

There is no specific delayed start function that I know of.  However you could always write a multi stage recipe to have a non-heating stage run for a preset amount of time before the cooking step began.