• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Oven: Features, Accessories, Troubleshooting, and "Should I Buy One?"

FauxPas

It's interesting that these oven manufacturers all have minor differences in the size of racks and pans they'll accept.

It's sorta like Apple changing the charging device for practically each and every new iPad, iPhone, iWhatever that comes out.

We just got a new TV - if I had to start updating the firmware/software in my kitchen as frequently as I do for computers and other electronics, oy.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

not a great comparison in part because apple changes connectors very rarely on its mobile devices. i don't think it's a big deal for a company to put out a cooking device that uses non-standard sizes - although it would be better to center around some accepted fractional sheet or hotel pans, say - but if you're going to do it, then you should make quality accessories available at affordable prices to go alongside, and i think it's there where a lot of them fall down

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case anyone missed it, yesterday's episode of Dave Arnold's Cooking Issues featured Scott Heimendinger of Anova to discuss the APO.  You can listen here.

He said the initial super flimsy flat pan susceptible to warping at high heat only went out in early shipments and has been replaced with a different pan which is ribbed.  Anyone who got the original can get a replacement but it sounds like it's still kind of a stopgap.  I'd guess one is likely better off purchasing a good sturdy pan separately. 

They discussed a tank issue that sounded more like internal crazing than through and through cracks.  As has been pointed out here, it's largely a cosmetic defect.  They are not happy with it and want to fix it but there are limited materials that are food-safe, clear and can withstand the thermal stress that part of the tank is exposed to during steam venting.  They don't have a long-term fix but are working on it. 

As far as toast goes, Dave's general recommendation for APO owners was to get a toaster. 

Edited to add that Scott was on for over an hour so much more was covered.  Listen

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

@blue_dolphin 

""  internal crazing ""  ?

etc

yet they

or their parent company

did not test this ?

remember ,  I think

Anova got bought out

for a significant amount of money ?

so please

the current 

nova steam oven 

is what it is ,

but , based on a lot of dstuff

not what it shouldbe

but what

Anova chose to sell

currently , and for the forceable future

bean counters  , in the corner office

might consider ...................................

BTW :

the CSO had similar issues

there first pan

and fixed it w a replacement 

so 

Anova jissed this ?

guess so.

I do actually they get

their stuffntogether

and make the Anova Stew oven

th rel deal

Im not optimistic.

58 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@blue_dolphin 

""  internal crazing ""  ?

etc

yet they

or their parent company

did not test this ?

I don't know enough about the frequency of this particular problem to have a good sense of how many units they'd need to test before seeing it.  As small company, in a niche market, I'm not surprised it was missed.  Rejiggering the venting process so the tank is more protected would fix the issue but would likely be very expensive and wouldn't help anyone with an existing unit. 

My takeaway was Scott's comment that ovens like the Cusi CSO offer steam as a feature while the APO actually offers control of the steam. The vast majority of the time, I'm pretty happy with "steam as a feature" so I don't plan to upgrade from the CSO to the APO.  I'll assess the situation when give up the ghost and I really need a replacement. 

@blue_dolphin 

interesting points , well taken

but :

https://www.cnet.com/home/smart-home/electrolux-buys-sous-vide-machine-maker-anova-for-250-million/

250 million is what it is.

and mistakes made

'' flimsy tray ''  were made before

so why make them again ?

250 million , a smalll amount of this

might've helped Anova continue to be  respected brand

and Eletrolux  

well, their not hover , are they ?

meaning

what ever happens w the Anova Steam

it is what it is now

because Anova Alumm'   and Eleto chose not to  bothered to do better.

to bad for each company

Edited by rotuts (log)

10 minutes ago, rotuts said:

and mistakes made

'' flimsy tray ''  were made before

so why make them again ?

You are right about that.  As you heard, he said the pan was a last minute sub before going into production and was a big mistake.  Just tell the people to buy their own damn pan!

it is what it is

''Last munte sub ?"

many years after their first announcement ?

buy your own pan after spending $$ 600 ?

please

this is them , and they chose not to be bothered to make

a fine steam oven

and now are trying to pretend thy made a few

last minute mistakes ?

them , notes.

sometimes it better to claim your mistake

other than make stupid remarks 

that suggest otherwise.

too bad

very Too bad.

many offs here were looking forward to this oven

Anova Quality  lie the circulators we have

before the 259 milling buy out.

such a shame.

Me Too!

Anova replied to my email of yesterday:

"We're happy to replace the pan for you. Can you please provide your order number, complete shipping address and phone number so we can process this for you?"

Thanks to Blue Dolphin for the mention of the podcast, which I referred to in my request - I'll update on receipt 😃

p

• Like 3

Well with new tanks and new pans to earlier purchasers, I'd say Anova is standing behind their products!

Suggestion for JoNorvelleWalker, I'd keep the water level up near the max just to be safe, they probably haven't designed a Mark III tank yet 😛

p

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

This afternoon I received the new Mark II tank.  I am in no rush to equip it as the cracked Mark I is not yet leaking.

Dear God. For a moment I had a vision of @JoNorvelleWalker plunging across Northern France in a Panzer Mark IV tank (reading right straight over the II designation). It was an image to raise fear in the heart of the French countryside.

My next thought was, "Where in the hell is she going to put THAT in her apartment?"

• Haha 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 minute ago, kayb said:

Dear God. For a moment I had a vision of @JoNorvelleWalker plunging across Northern France in a Panzer Mark IV tank (reading right straight over the II designation). It was an image to raise fear in the heart of the French countryside.

My next thought was, "Where in the hell is she going to put THAT in her apartment?"

Anywhere she damn well chooses. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, kostbill said:

What is the mark II? Is it a new design for the water tank?

Two days ago, in Dave Arnold's podcast, where he had Scott Heimendinger, Scott said that they don't have a new design yet.

Without putting them side to side it looked slightly different.  It's quite possible that I am delusional and it's really a replacement Mark I.  If I ever feel up to excavating the closet where I buried it, I shall do a careful study.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I think I was mistaken.  I compared the old tank with the new one and I really could not see any difference.  I apologize for getting hopes up.

13 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I think I was mistaken.  I compared the old tank with the new one and I really could not see any difference.  I apologize for getting hopes up.

No need to apologize.  The vision of you driving a tank around the French countryside per @kayb will buy you a great many dispensations. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

31 minutes ago, Anna N said:

No need to apologize.  The vision of you driving a tank around the French countryside per @kayb will buy you a great many dispensations. 

More so driving around the New Jersey countryside! “Hi, Shoprite. I’m here to pick up my order. Oh, I’m in spaces 1, 2, and possibly 3.”🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, DesertTinker said:

More so driving around the New Jersey countryside! “Hi, Shoprite. I’m here to pick up my order. Oh, I’m in spaces 1, 2, and possibly 3.”🤣

One friend suggested I get a donkey for groceries, though a tank has a certain charm.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thanks for verifying that.

• Like 1