• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Oven: Features, Accessories, Troubleshooting, and "Should I Buy One?"

FauxPas

4 minutes ago, Anna N said:

But in one of their videos on YouTube they did spatchcock the chicken which makes me suspicious of the height of the oven. 

It appears there are a lot of tray height positions.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

It appears there are a lot of tray height positions.

Yes I did take note of that. Nevertheless, I think standard operating procedure for most people is to roast a chicken whole. However, I just went back with the intention to re-play that video when I saw another video for the oven showing  baking a sourdough boule!

Edited by Anna N
Typo (log)
  • Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

In the video the big boule seems to take up no more than half the available height of the oven, so there should be room for a good-sized loaf to reach full height. It looks to be good for about three standard loaves in width, too, so it's probably big enough for most purposes.

The cast-iron pan the boule was baked on looked to be 10-12" square, and there was a fair bit of room left at either side, so yeah...at least 1/4 sheet by the "eyeball test."

As long as it's fully functional without the app, and not ridiculously expensive, they might be onto something.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

@chromedome 

I can't seem to find the ASO  bread vids

yes , there will be an App issues

""  Subscriptions "" rather than outright purchase are all the rage now in Tech.

[ed.:  Def :  Tech : something you use your Thumbs to operate , or is connected through The Ether to an EtherNet cable ]

P.S.:  that's why its called Ethernet.

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@chromedome 

""  Subscriptions "" rather than outright purchase are all the rage now in Tech.

[ed.:  Def :  Tech : something you use your Thumbs to operate , or is connected through The Ether to an EtherNet cable ]

I hope this takes you to the video

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@chromedome 

If you do a search on Google for

Anova oven boule

you should get to the YouTube video. 

• Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I went searching through my junk mail folder to see if I'd gotten anything about this oven from Anova.  I came upon a survey request from Emily at Steam & Bake who said:

...I'm helping Anova's staff to pinpoint what you, the customers, find confusing about steam ovens, and what you'd like to see in an oven that's designed with a 'consumer first' approach....

If you can spare a few minutes, the design team at Anova would love your thoughts on what makes sense when it comes to their oven hardware user interface (fancy words for 'how the oven menu should look and how the buttons should work'). 

The email was sent on Dec 14 and by the time I found it, the survey had closed.  I'm curious if anyone else saw this survey and wonder what sorts of questions she asked. 

Also, the fact that they were apparently still seeking input as late as last month makes me wonder how close to market they actually are with this device.  

Couple of things I found this morning:

Digital Trends

And iMore says the oven will debut for "less than $1,000," which I'm guessing means in the $900+ range. Lots of other new kitchen goodies in this article, too.

At a grand, I'll stick with my CSO.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

even at $ 499  it would be a stretch.

Too much Bora in the Bora  if they think it will sell for $950

$ 1,000 is a lot for a 30 " wide  full oven and cooktop.

counter top :   sgnificantly < $ 499

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, kayb said:

Couple of things I found this morning:

Digital Trends

And iMore says the oven will debut for "less than $1,000," which I'm guessing means in the $900+ range. Lots of other new kitchen goodies in this article, too.

At a grand, I'll stick with my CSO.

If the SV machine is any guide,Anova entered a market where SV Supreme was about $350 and Anova started at $180 or so if memory serves.

If I had the space, the price point for me would be no more than $400, (and I'm a guy who already understands steam cooking)

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if Anova hasn't announced more details

Size , expected price   because

Size :   they haven't ramped up production yet

Price :   they haven't settled this yet

I think Amazon is where they want to start off      maybe W-S  

but W-S only carried the CSO briefly.

BB&B  had it much longer

speaking of places where you could go and see  a combi-oven , as was back then

and still now  , a bit of a novelty

• Like 1

Can't believe that CES has passed and we still don't have any details.  No pricing or anticipated availability date.

It sure looks cool.  I don't doubt it will do a wonderful job replacing my Cuisinart steam oven.  The Modernist Cuisine guys were calling for this sort of design, where you can directly set the wet bulb and dry bulb temperatures.  So that's going to be a powerful tool.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

My guess is they are waiting to see how tariffs shake out before addressing price and delivery.  That or life on Bora Bora is too good.  I miss @Anova Jeff.  He gave straight answers.  He seems no longer involved.

If anyone from anova is reading:  offer a reasonable price and delivery and I will buy one.  Making us wait three years for vaporware is inexcusable and something I would not say here.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

a new video..... (at least to me) states a 1 gallon reservoir and the bottom lip is actually a drip tray to collect vented steam.

Sorry if this is a repost but I haven't seen this information anywhere.

Edited by adey73 (log)
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, adey73 said:

a new video..... (at least to me) states a 1 gallon reservoir and the bottom lip is actually a drip tray to collect vented steam.

You would think by now they had a clue how much they were going to sell it for!  It also sounds as though they have not quite wrangled it out of the hands of the engineers and into the clutches of the marketers. I say that because when they were demonstrating it they said that the controls were likely to change before it was released   

I was surprised that they made no mention of reheating food. I would say that I use my Cuisinart steam oven 90% of the time to reheat food. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

You would think by now they had a clue how much they were going to sell it for!  It also sounds as though they have not quite wrangled it out of the hands of the engineers and into the clutches of the marketers. I say that because when they were demonstrating it they said that the controls were likely to change before it was released   

I was surprised that they made no mention of reheating food. I would say that I use my Cuisinart steam oven 90% of the time to reheat food. 

It may be that stage of development when they have to shoot the engineers in order to move forward

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, gfweb said:

It may be that stage of development when they have to shoot the engineers in order to move forward

I know that one very well. Wish they would discuss the price. The best I’ve heard is under $1000 which I translate means $999.99 and that’s in American funds. In Canadian funds it’s about equivalent to our GDP. 

• Haha 5

My 2004 eG Blog

25 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I know that one very well. Wish they would discuss the price. The best I’ve heard is under $1000 which I translate means $999.99 and that’s in American funds. In Canadian funds it’s about equivalent to our GDP. 

Yup.

I am their target customer, and I wouldn't go near it unless its less than $400.

• Like 2

I' m pretty much the same.  I love my CSO, and the half-sheet-pan deal is not a big thing to me, but if and when it goes, I'd go* to an Anova Precision as a next appliance, if it were available. That said, I'm contemplating ordering a CSO backup while I can.

*That is, if it's under $400. Otherwise, I'm sticking with the CSO or reluctantly giving up steam and going to a Breville Smart Oven.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com