• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Oven: Features, Accessories, Troubleshooting, and "Should I Buy One?"

FauxPas

Interior cleaning suggestions anyone (tried and true please). My oven is relatively clean but has small splatter of polymerized oil/grease. I don't want to go the "Easy-off" route if I can avoid it and do not wish to use scouring pads, again if I can avoid it. I'm trying to keep this oven in better shape then my CSO and BSOA - mind you the smooth interior with no obstacles, other than the top element should make this more doable.

I know the obvious solution is to buy another  oven, but I'm still paying off this one lol

p

• Haha 1

doesn't the APO ' steam-clean '

in the manner of Combi-Ovens ?  

CSO included ?

then just a wipe down w a clean cloth.

put your pans that you have used in the oven

in the over , space permitting 

worked like charm in the CSO.

no solvents , scouring  etc

just a wipe down.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, adey73 said:

sorry if you've published this elsewhere Jo, but I haven't seen it...

what are thoughts between this steam oven and the other one you bought that begins with "B" whose reservoir is inside the oven door?

I have three steam ovens but none that begin with "B".

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I do wish I had the ability to compare. I'm not completely impressed with the Blumlein - doesn't get the bottom of my bread brown so I've gone back to one loaf at a time in the CSO. Does fine with a pullman pan though. 

I'm doing the debate about getting a wall steam oven and getting my counter back. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

were i willing to spend unnecessary amounts of dollars, though, i'd probably get the naboo because it seems like a great size for residential use, eu pan sizing notwithstanding

https://lainox.it/naboo-at-home/

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I do wish I had the ability to compare. I'm not completely impressed with the Blumlein - doesn't get the bottom of my bread brown so I've gone back to one loaf at a time in the CSO. Does fine with a pullman pan though. 

I'm doing the debate about getting a wall steam oven and getting my counter back. 

have you tried it with a preheated thermal mass underneath it to mitigate?

12 minutes ago, jimb0 said:

were i willing to spend unnecessary amounts of dollars, though, i'd probably get the naboo because it seems like a great size for residential use, eu pan sizing notwithstanding

https://lainox.it/naboo-at-home/

have you tried it with a preheated thermal mass underneath it to mitigate?

Yup - didn't brown any better on the stone.

16 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Yup - didn't brown any better on the stone.

did you heat the stone up hotter than you might bake the bread at, or was it just normal oven temp? 

i’m not trying to defend the poor performance of the oven so much as wonder at a workaround. 

4 minutes ago, jimb0 said:

did you heat the stone up hotter than you might bake the bread at, or was it just normal oven temp? 

i’m not trying to defend the poor performance of the oven so much as wonder at a workaround. 

Did all the things I would normally do to get a brown bottom on my bread in the CSO. The stone seems to be just too far from the heat to warm up no matter what I did. I stopped short of putting my metal 'stone' in there. 

• Like 1

My regular oven has a self-clean option. In the Anova, steam doesn't seem to do much. The Anova strikes me as quite troublesome to clean.

P.S. I admit I don't know much about this oven.

45 minutes ago, TdeV said:

My regular oven has a self-clean option. In the Anova, steam doesn't seem to do much. The Anova strikes me as quite troublesome to clean.

steam is the point of the oven, though?

i do not own one yet but i was going to suggest an external steam generator for cleaning as i find it tends to work very well on baked-on grease and food residues.

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Did all the things I would normally do to get a brown bottom on my bread in the CSO. The stone seems to be just too far from the heat to warm up no matter what I did. I stopped short of putting my metal 'stone' in there. 

I have no problem browning bottoms on my steel in the APO.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2021 at 9:15 PM, TdeV said:

Who cleans ovens?

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Who cleans ovens?

This one looks so nice, I just have to try.

I've found with the BSOA and CSO that they do not toast or bake as well as when new because of the grease buildup affects the heat transfer.

I emailed Anova about this and their suggestion was Easy Off.

p

1 hour ago, palo said:

This one looks so nice, I just have to try.

I've found with the BSOA and CSO that they do not toast or bake as well as when new because of the grease buildup affects the heat transfer.

I emailed Anova about this and their suggestion was Easy Off.

p

As I remember an old Consumer Reports review:  "A dirty oven never killed anyone.  The same cannot be said of oven cleaners."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/11/2021 at 12:13 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Have I mentioned I love anova toast?

I'm very undecided. I happen to really like ordinary toast–this is not it.

However, it might turn out to be interesting in its own right.

Mebbe.

Edited by TdeV
Grammar (log)
  • Like 2

What is the significance of setting the oven "sous vide" mode (or not)?

The Wolf cookbook suggests poaching fish fillet at 185F for 15 minutes, full steam.

I am thinking of trying this today. I'm trying to think of veg I can do at the same time . . .