• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Oven: Features, Accessories, Troubleshooting, and "Should I Buy One?"

FauxPas

I'm mostly working manually with the Anova Precision Oven because I'm trying to understand what it does.

Things I have learned
  • Press START button to STOP oven
  • Preheat oven as you would manually heat your range oven
  • Take food out of oven between stages (phase), e.g. going from defrost to broil.
  • Different phases of the cook can be programmed separately.

Things I don't know
  • Can you just set an oven temp without indicating any time duration?
  • Do I like APO toast?

And here's my query about steam ovens on Cusinart Steam Oven thread.

1 hour ago, TdeV said:
I'm mostly working manually with the Anova Precision Oven because I'm trying to understand what it does.

Things I have learned
  • Press START button to STOP oven
  • Preheat oven as you would manually heat your range oven
  • Take food out of oven between stages (phase), e.g. going from defrost to broil.
  • Different phases of the cook can be programmed separately.

Things I don't know
  • Can you just set an oven temp without indicating any time duration?
  • Do I like APO toast?

And here's my query about steam ovens on Cusinart Steam Oven thread.

I tend to use it as just a plain oven as well - my goal is food on the table - yes you can set a temp without a duration - I just got the Breville "A little bit more" toaster and am really pleased with the speed and quality, as well I have counter space for both.

p

• Like 1

If it doesn't fit the rack slides, I would use one of those "copper" non-stick crisper trays.  Cheaper and much easier to clean up (and it comes with a sheet pan to catch drippings) .  I have the BSOA and have never used the supplied air-fry basket.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

36 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

If it doesn't fit the rack slides, I would use one of those "copper" non-stick crisper trays.  Cheaper and much easier to clean up (and it comes with a sheet pan to catch drippings) .  I have the BSOA and have never used the supplied air-fry basket.

I have one of those as well and it is smaller and I've not found it easier to clean. I have used the BSOA basket a lot when roasting chicken pats and such as I find that even using a rack doesn't allow full browning as the underside is almost "boiled" rather than roasted.

p

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I seem to have joined the cracked tank club.

The consensus over at Reddit seems to be that the cracking tank issue is a “when” not “if” question for most, but still sorry it happened to you. Anova says it’s working on a redesigned tank, but I don’t think it’s available yet. 

Someone posted a few days ago that their drip tray melted where it sits closest to the steam vent, so add that to the list of issues to watch out for. That user’s tank also warped so badly the top wouldn’t fit on it anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, blbskue said:

The consensus over at Reddit seems to be that the cracking tank issue is a “when” not “if” question for most, but still sorry it happened to you. Anova says it’s working on a redesigned tank, but I don’t think it’s available yet. 

Someone posted a few days ago that their drip tray melted where it sits closest to the steam vent, so add that to the list of issues to watch out for. That user’s tank also warped so badly the top wouldn’t fit on it anymore.

Today I was watching the oven venting huge streams of steam and wondering if inadequate ventilation around the oven would have disasterous results. This would be interesting to know if true in this case.

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I seem to have joined the cracked tank club.

Was the APO running at a low water level at times, I've read that if the tank is not almost filled full it's more susceptible to this problem as the extra water acts as a heat sink. Just a thought, though I doubt there's any proof.

p

3 minutes ago, palo said:

Was the APO running at a low water level at times, I've read that if the tank is not almost filled full it's more susceptible to this problem as the extra water acts as a heat sink. Just a thought, though I doubt there's any proof.

p

Odd, I thought is was safer to run it not too full.  I always kept the water level above the minimum.

I reported the problem to anova, we'll see what they have to say.  I miss @Anova Jeff.  I fear he stayed in Bora Bora.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

a lot seems to have stayed in Bora Bora

like design excellence ?

cracked tanks ?

for $ 600 and Shipping charges ?

Aren't you glad you don't have one. ☹️

p

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@palo says some astute things about the APO over on the CSO thread.

I can say for sure that I don't understand the steam function.

And I don't know how to defrost and reheat. So far, making lunch needs to begin right after breakfast!

2 hours ago, TdeV said:

@palo says some astute things about the APO over on the CSO thread.

I can say for sure that I don't understand the steam function.

And I don't know how to defrost and reheat. So far, making lunch needs to begin right after breakfast!

i don't have an apo and i can tell you i'm generally thinking about lunch immediately following breakfast....

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Sorry this is not a good photo. I can't remember putting the Anova on the counter but you can see that there isn't much space below the appliance and there don't appear to be any feet. You're looking at the right side of the applicance (water tank) with the overflow tray directly on top of the counter.

IMG_2834.thumb.JPG.605595e0ad01d1c8c9b46220c8922187.JPG

• Like 1

On 1/25/2021 at 6:15 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Odd, I thought is was safer to run it not too full.  I always kept the water level above the minimum.

I reported the problem to anova, we'll see what they have to say.  I miss @Anova Jeff.  I fear he stayed in Bora Bora.

sorry if you've published this elsewhere Jo, but I haven't seen it...

what are thoughts between this steam oven and the other one you bought that begins with "B" whose reservoir is inside the oven door?