• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Oven: Features, Accessories, Troubleshooting, and "Should I Buy One?"

FauxPas

On 12/4/2020 at 7:23 PM, rob1234 said:

Was it preheating? My Electrolux oven turns the fan on while preheating and then off when it reaches temp. 

I checked this again tonight.  After pre-heating the fan was off.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I saw some new reviews today:

https://www.wired.com/review/anova-precision-oven/

https://www.engadget.com/anova-precision-oven-review-133035865.html

https://www.sizzleandsear.com/equipment-reviews/anova-precision-oven-review/

All three reviewers liked the APO but pointed out its flaws.  Sizzle&Sear said "...it may well be the best countertop oven on the market."  They compared the APO against the CSO and a BSOA.  The reviewer liked that the APO had significantly more interior height than BSOA.

And then there's toast.  "Yes, you heard that right, 'steamed toast'.  I was very sceptical [sic] of this recipe at first, but I gave it a whirl.  This odd sounding recipe resulted in toast that was deliciously crispy on the outside but fluffy and chewy on the inside.  It takes several more minutes than a dedicated toaster, but it's worth the wait."

The Engadget reviewer missed having a dedicated button for toast:  "(There's a 'Toast 101' recipe in the app, which I think is a bit too much; you shouldn't need to follow a recipe to make toast.)  Basically, if all you want is a toaster oven the Precision Oven is probably overkill."

The Wired reviewer loved the APO -- all testing without Wi-Fi or internet connection.  Guess that's why the magazine is not named Wireless.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Ok. I have a breville smart oven air and a cuisinart steam oven.

If both died tomorrow would an Annova sub for both?

Only if you have the counter space and don't eat 13 inch pizzas.

• Like 2

Wanted to do a bit of exploring and was trying to download the android app it says it's not compatible with my device (Sony phone, Sony tablet and Samsung tablet) but it would let me download and install on Amazon Fire tablet. Anyone else having these problems?

p

The Saga:

(long read)

I said I would post again when I got it up and running

Time line:

Ordered Dec. 19

Shipped Dec.22 (Purolator)

Delivered Dec 23 @ 10:45!!!

According to Purolator it originated in Mississauga arrived in Barrie @ 8:56 (I must have been his first or near first stop.) Well with no advance notification, I expected a couple days for shipping, but the first I got info from Purolator was today Dec 22. The tracking didn't show until this morning.

So, I got it in the house and it's going to sit there for a while - I have to rearrange my kitchen to accommodate it. I might not have it plugged in until tomorrow.

Got it on the counter (by myself) and plugged in. Next step was to connect the oven and the app. My router is at the other end of the house from the kitchen, and it wouldn’t connect. I had a wifi extender and that didn’t help until I plugged it into a socket right beside it. Success! App connected to oven! Now the app tells me the oven needs an update (0.4 to 1.01). Okay shouldn’t be a problem. Update gets to 1% and then aborts, tried many times. Unplug and re-plug oven, same result. Un-install app and re-install, success! Well that’s it for today (several hours).

Dec. 24 I did the burn-in of the heating elements and to be on the safe side just cooked (heated) a frozen mac and cheese. Worked – I just pretended it was my BSOA.

Christmas day. I decided to cook the turkey wings which were highlighted in the app. So easy, in the app I just hit “start” and it started - I had to put water in the tank.

The cook went well (problems with the probe) the “fill” light came on but when I re-seated the tank it was fine. The recipe seasoning was great and the result looked just like the picture in the app.

For me, this will be a learning experience. I can see the potential for great things. One thing to note is that all the timer does is “ding” so it continues to cook at whatever temperature it is set to, not a good thing imho.

p

• Like 4

Way back when I commented the Anova wouldn't install on my Sony phone, Sony Tablet or Samsung tablet - problem was they are too old as per Anova support:

"The app only supports Android devices with version 7.0 and up."

I'm using the Amazon Fire HD 8, but as that's my ereader it's a little inconvenient.

Others may want to consider this.

p

• Like 1

My Cuisinart CSO just croaked, poor thing won't even turn on. I'm looking for a larger countertop combi-steam oven as a replacement/upgrade instead of getting a NOS Cuisinart CSO because I'd really like to be able to have several trays of food going at the same time, which just doesn't work in the Cuisinart CSO.  I'm trying to decide between the larger F. Blumlein (the JU-3200), the smaller F. Blumlein (the JU-2500), or the Anova Precision Oven. Anyone have words of wisdom for me?

I'm a little worried that the Anova will turn out to be a pricey mistake for me because I've read that it won't put out steam without the rear element on and the convection fan on high unless it's in Sous Vide Mode. The CSO has steam only and steam + bottom element  modes that don't use the fan, and I don't think the Bake Steam mode uses it either. The FBs also have fan-free steam modes. This apparent constraint on the Anova seems kinda strange to me. I'm worried the Anova might blow the heck out of things I'm trying to cook at relatively low but not sous vide temperatures with high humidity. How does this work out in real life?

59 minutes ago, BostonVelociraptor said:

My Cuisinart CSO just croaked, poor thing won't even turn on. I'm looking for a larger countertop combi-steam oven as a replacement/upgrade instead of getting a NOS Cuisinart CSO because I'd really like to be able to have several trays of food going at the same time, which just doesn't work in the Cuisinart CSO.  I'm trying to decide between the larger F. Blumlein (the JU-3200), the smaller F. Blumlein (the JU-2500), or the Anova Precision Oven. Anyone have words of wisdom for me?

I'm a little worried that the Anova will turn out to be a pricey mistake for me because I've read that it won't put out steam without the rear element on and the convection fan on high unless it's in Sous Vide Mode. The CSO has steam only and steam + bottom element  modes that don't use the fan, and I don't think the Bake Steam mode uses it either. The FBs also have fan-free steam modes. This apparent constraint on the Anova seems kinda strange to me. I'm worried the Anova might blow the heck out of things I'm trying to cook at relatively low but not sous vide temperatures with high humidity. How does this work out in real life?

Whether in "sous vide" mode or not, the APO will put out steam without using the rear heating element.  However with steam the fan speed will be locked on high.  I share your concern about fan speed but in practice I have not seen a problem.  Anything specific that you are trying to cook?

Does anyone have both an FBO and an APO that they could make comparisons?

First off Anova email support has been really good for me.

* Regarding the timer shutting off oven when completed:

"The oven will stay on similar to a conventional oven and to ensure the food stays warm. It is also a failsafe in case anyone sets a wrong timer."

I noticed in their toast recipe in the App, they have a 4th step called "Oven Off" which basically sets the temp to 77F with a 1 minute timer - sort of like a "keep warm" mode - could be added to other recipes I'm sure.

In another email:

"Yes the oven stops when the timer stops. Have you tried using the Oven with manual controls?"

Perhaps this timer behavior applies to using the manual controls as opposed to their App recipes

* Finally with regard to App compatibility with devices, I mentioned I had it working on Fire HD tablet:

"Sorry the FireOS devices aren't support at the moment."

Guess my oven/app doesn't know that yet.

p

• Thanks 1

Did I mention there's a Alexa skill for it:

"With the Anova Oven Smart Home skill, you can start cooking by saying "Alexa, preheat my oven to 350 degrees." As your food cooks, you’ll be able to keep an eye on the oven's temperature and food probe readings by saying "Alexa, what is the temperature of my oven?" or "Alexa, what is the temperature of my food in the oven?" 

If you want to cook in Sous Vide mode, the Anova Oven Smart Home skill couldn't make this easier. Simply say "Alexa, Sous Vide fish in my oven at 125 degrees" or "Alexa, Sous Vide fish in my oven at 125 degrees for 40 minutes" to add a timer countdown to your cook.

Here are other voice command examples you can say to Alexa:
- Alexa, set my oven to bake at 325 degrees.
- Alexa, set my oven to sous vide at 125 degrees.
- Alexa, sous vide chicken to 145 degrees in my oven.
- Alexa, bake my cookies in my oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Alexa, set my oven to steam.
- Alexa, set my oven to dehydrate.
- Alexa, set my oven to broil.
- Alexa, set my oven to proof.
- Alexa, turn my oven off."

Haven't tried it yet, but for someone adventurous...

p

• Haha 1

Tying the probe for the first time.  Cooking a prime rib roast at 60C with the probe set to 58C.  It may be a long night.

One odd thing:  the anova recipe calls for cooking at 100 percent steam.  This seems counterintuitive to me since the meat will be browned at the end.  Anova specifies cooking roast chicken without steam, why should a beef roast be different?  Particularly when the prime rib recipe calls for drying the roast in the refrigerator overnight.

Possibly steam is necessary to reduce cooking time.  More likely the recipe is wrong.  I chose not to use steam.

Update:  roast took 2 3/4 hours to come up to 58C.  Thermapen agreed.  Faster than I would have thought.  I am holding at 57C.

I like how the panel displays both actual oven temperature and probe temperature at the same time.

• Like 1

I will study this 

and doe some Mathematical conversions tomorrow

then thin about for just there right about of time

and chime in then

please Food Science is marching long nicely here

on eG 

with our own plates.

Happy New Year

one with Vacc's , x 2

at your designated risk level.

• Like 2

On 12/28/2020 at 6:29 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Whether in "sous vide" mode or not, the APO will put out steam without using the rear heating element.  However with steam the fan speed will be locked on high.  I share your concern about fan speed but in practice I have not seen a problem.  Anything specific that you are trying to cook?

Does anyone have both an FBO and an APO that they could make comparisons?

Anything specific that I'm trying to cook, hmm. I saw a post somewhere else in which the poster was proudly showing off the cheesecake they'd made in the APO at 300°F with 50% humidity, and it had the kind of spatter of dark spots across the top that I associate with convection fans blowing the heck out of delicate things. I went ahead and ordered the APO, but I'm curious as to whether any APO owners have noticed this effect and if so, what your workarounds are.

• Like 1

@TdeV 

I do not.

I have some electrical work to do in my kitchen first.

then Im not too happy about the WiFi issues 

but that might be worked out

then there is the Free Shipping issue

fine for some , but no no no , not for you

I got close to ordering

" Feb shipment "

but asked about when they charge my credit card.

its been a week now , and they have not chosen to reply.

I can understand a business mo0del where they use the next batch's

cash , to roll over for their expenses 

Warren Buffet would be proud !  but Warren would be clear and up front about it.

so no , not yet , maybe not for quite some time.

Don't need it now , probably won't need it if I ever get to the point

where I order

but Im please to see so ma many eG'er's putting it through its paces

and enjoying it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rotuts said:

@TdeV 

I do not.

I have some electrical work to do in my kitchen first.

then Im not too happy about the WiFi issues 

but that might be worked out

then there is the Free Shipping issue

fine for some , but no no no , not for you

I got close to ordering

" Feb shipment "

but asked about when they charge my credit card.

its been a week now , and they have not chosen to reply.

I can understand a business mo0del where they use the next batch's

cash , to roll over for their expenses 

Warren Buffet would be proud !  but Warren would be clear and up front about it.

so no , not yet , maybe not for quite some time.

Don't need it now , probably won't need it if I ever get to the point

where I order

but Im please to see so ma many eG'er's putting it through its paces

and enjoying it.

They charge your card at the time you order.

• Confused 1

Interesting/concerning event - I was baking something @ 450 for 20 minutes no steam manually

Huge amounts of steam expelled from bottom right corner and condensation forming in water tank.

Should I worry?

16 minutes ago, palo said:

Interesting/concerning event - I was baking something @ 450 for 20 minutes no steam manually

Huge amounts of steam expelled from bottom right corner and condensation forming in water tank.

Should I worry?

From my CSO experience...baking a wet bunch of cauliflower on no steam generates a lot of vapor just from the veg.  The oven is so well sealed that steam accumulates

• Like 1