• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Oven: Features, Accessories, Troubleshooting, and "Should I Buy One?"

FauxPas

3 hours ago, dtremit said:

FWIW, the deal is also available online and they appear to be in stock.

Thanks. I saw that. However the shipping surcharge to Hawaii adds $65 to the price, making it less of a deal. I’ll consider that option toward the end of the sale window if I can’t snag it in the warehouse. IAC I need to see the Costco model first since there appear to be several Oster oven models and not all have the interior height for bread baking. 

How does the APO compare to the F.Blumlein (FBO)? I found the pre-release APO mentioned in an early FBO thread but (unless I’ve missed it) haven’t spotted actual APO / FBO comparisons.

The FBO is listed on Amazon Prime which gives it  thumbs up on the shipping, but operation and reliability are what’s ultimately important! Given the handful of ‘early adopter’ issues with the APO the idea of exchanging a faulty APO with hefty shipping back & forth doesn’t seem advisable.

7 hours ago, kostbill said:

Why not?

At a given pressure the boiling point of water is more or less a constant.

So far I've steamed only a couple times but I'm pretty sure (not positive) I had sous vide off.  As a sanity check, I looked at a couple steaming recipes on the anova site and they steam with sous vide mode turned off.

Edit:  mea culpa, @tikidoc asked about bagels.  The anova bagel recipe does indeed call for steaming bagels with sous vide mode on.  Why steaming bagels with sous vide mode on while steaming bao with sous vide mode off remains a mystery.

I still would leave sous vide mode off.

P.S.  Anova has to come up with a better term than "sous vide mode".

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

53 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

At a given pressure the boiling point of water is more or less a constant.

So far I've steamed only a couple times but I'm pretty sure (not positive) I had sous vide off.  As a sanity check, I looked at a couple steaming recipes on the anova site and they steam with sous vide mode turned off.

Edit:  mea culpa, @tikidoc asked about bagels.  The anova bagel recipe does indeed call for steaming bagels with sous vide mode on.  Why steaming bagels with sous vide mode on while steaming bao with sous vide mode off remains a mystery.

I still would leave sous vide mode off.

P.S.  Anova has to come up with a better term than "sous vide mode".

I was under the impression that the word "steam" in the anova oven, means "humid". Does 100% humidity means steam? I thought not, but I am not sure now.

Am I wrong?

For example, this recipe, for which I was asking some posts ago:

https://oven.anovaculinary.com/recipe/LjYcWMLjev3jf4UWmSCq

Sets Sous mode ON, steam 100% and temp 165F, which probably means 100% humidity.

I wrote a review here, comparing it to the Cuisinart Steam and Breville Smart Oven Air, if anyone cares to take a read. The size of the tank is massive compared to the Cuisinart: https://www.sizzleandsear.com/equipment-reviews/anova-precision-oven-review/ 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

https://www.sizzleandsear.com/

2 hours ago, kostbill said:

I was under the impression that the word "steam" in the anova oven, means "humid". Does 100% humidity means steam? I thought not, but I am not sure now.

Am I wrong?

For example, this recipe, for which I was asking some posts ago:

https://oven.anovaculinary.com/recipe/LjYcWMLjev3jf4UWmSCq

Sets Sous mode ON, steam 100% and temp 165F, which probably means 100% humidity.

Anova gives an explanation of their steam modes here...

https://anovaculinary.com/what-is-a-combi-oven/why-steam/

At 212F and below the percent steam is the relative humidity.

5 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

That's my understanding too. I do notice however that sometimes it seems like I get a huge waft of steam when I open the oven at 212 but other times barely anything..... maybe something to do with the temperature of my house?

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

https://www.sizzleandsear.com/

4 minutes ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

That's my understanding too. I do notice however that sometimes it seems like I get a huge waft of steam when I open the oven at 212 but other times barely anything..... maybe something to do with the temperature of my house?

What you see is water vapor.  Possibly could have to do with the conditions in the room.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Do you mean the new one? The Steam Refresh at 482F?

The 10/16/2020 toast recipe on the app, with steam refresh at 250C.  (At least on my app.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

I wrote a review here, comparing it to the Cuisinart Steam and Breville Smart Oven Air, if anyone cares to take a read. The size of the tank is massive compared to the Cuisinart: https://www.sizzleandsear.com/equipment-reviews/anova-precision-oven-review/ 

"burnt sponge" -- apotheosis of cauliflower.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

But then, why did you write that you would not do steaming in sous vide mode?

I am greatly confused! There are so many variables I do not understand.

While I was a fan of Anova and their first model SV  ( and bought a second version later )  I  find this statement in their description of steam cooking somewhat misleading

However, cooking in a humid environment is a very different story. When air is at 100% relative humidity, it can’t absorb any more water. It’s full. Evaporation comes to a halt. That means that the water in your fish has no choice but to stay put , in your food, where it belongs.

My understanding is that the amount of moisture that is retained in a protein is primarily related to the internal temperature.  If I cook salmon to 175 degrees in steam mode, the exterior may have surface moisture on it, but the inside will be less moist than if I cooked it to 124F.  So while evaporation may come to a halt, as temperature rises, more moisture is squeezed out of the protein.  That is one of the main premises of SV, that we can cook at a lower temperature, which allows the protein to retain more moisture.   I only point this out because I bought a combi many years ago thinking it would make food more moist, and did not experience that, and then bought into SV based on that premise, and it now seems like Anova is suggesting the opposite.  

• Thanks 2

@Barrytm 

I believe you are correct is that animal proteins contract as they are heated

mechanically forcing out moisture , fat , and anything else that gets squeezed out.

thus a braise has a delicious sauce.  

that's not what Anova is trying to imply i think. 

they suggest that a 100% relative humidity , surface moisture does not evaporate.

but you will re-distribute moisture , fat and etc w protein contraction at 100% relative humidity

the SV bag , properly sealed is at 100 % relative humidity until you open it , Btw

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Keri AH said:

Thanks. I saw that. However the shipping surcharge to Hawaii adds $65 to the price, making it less of a deal. I’ll consider that option toward the end of the sale window if I can’t snag it in the warehouse. IAC I need to see the Costco model first since there appear to be several Oster oven models and not all have the interior height for bread baking. 

Oh, right! That does complicate things.

A similar looking model does seem to be available at Amazon for $129 right now, in case their shipping is easier: https://www.amazon.com/Oster-TSSTTVFDDG-Digital-French-Stainless/dp/B014D9LBCY

Edited by dtremit (log)

8 hours ago, kostbill said:

But then, why did you write that you would not do steaming in sous vide mode?

I am greatly confused! There are so many variables I do not understand.

Because I just want the food to steam.

5 hours ago, dtremit said:

Oh, right! That does complicate things.

A similar looking model does seem to be available at Amazon for $129 right now, in case their shipping is easier: https://www.amazon.com/Oster-TSSTTVFDDG-Digital-French-Stainless/dp/B014D9LBCY

Thanks! I thought I'd gone through all the Amazon options (including the brand named "Oste") but seem to have not come across this one. Since I cannot confirm the Costco model's interior height (leading answers still indicate it is less than 7" high inside), this one seems to be more than adequate in height. And with decent reviews (tho' the exploded glass door photos are a bit off-putting!!) -- I swear I'd never buy anything if I focused on the one-stars.

Given that we'd need to walk the Costco oven home (or eat up the savings on an Uber) what you've found for us seems a much better way to go.

I noticed the steamed pasta recipe steams at 101C.  Next time I steam something I think I'll try that.  If I understand things (which I may not), going above 100C should result in a lot more steam, since the steam generator should be running full blast.

4 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I noticed the steamed pasta recipe steams at 101C.  Next time I steam something I think I'll try that.  If I understand things (which I may not), going above 100C should result in a lot more steam, since the steam generator should be running full blast.

Well, I think that steam should not get higher than 100C at normal atmospheric pressure. I don't know how they can achieve 101C.

I don't know however what can happen if the air is not fully saturated with steam, for example 40% steam, does that mean that the temperature may rise above 100C because the oven is not full of steam and the air between the evaporated water molecules may get hotter?

Does the manual say that the oven can have steam at temperatures above 100C?

This is getting very confusing very fast.

17 minutes ago, kostbill said:

Well, I think that steam should not get higher than 100C at normal atmospheric pressure. I don't know how they can achieve 101C.

I don't know however what can happen if the air is not fully saturated with steam, for example 40% steam, does that mean that the temperature may rise above 100C because the oven is not full of steam and the air between the evaporated water molecules may get hotter?

Does the manual say that the oven can have steam at temperatures above 100C?

This is getting very confusing very fast.

I believe the 101C temperature is a trick to make the steam generator run full blast.  At or below 100C the numerical value of the steam setting is the target relative humidity.  The manual says pretty much nothing about anything.  Steam can be superheated beyond 100C.  I agree with your last sentence.

On 10/18/2020 at 7:25 PM, CanadianHomeChef said:

Made a whole chicken tonight. I’ve got to say I’ve never seen a chicken hold onto so many of its juices. You can squish around the liquids underneath the bubbles in the skin. Lots came pouring out as I carved the bird. 

The chicken was cooked perfectly. I’m just not sure if I like my chicken this juicy. The jury is still out. 

Cooked some brussel sprouts from the garden for 10 minutes at 212 with 100% humidity. Threw two knobs of butter, salt, and pepper inside the pan before placing it in the oven. Easy side dish as the chicken was resting. 

F1E1E3AB-1F7B-4FB7-A4A9-03E42AC5A5FC.jpeg

1789FBD8-891E-43BB-951A-8B6E7729CC63.jpeg

What temperature did you use for your chicken?  The anova recipe calls for a "wet bulb target of 63C" but to my taste 63C is somewhere between raw and frozen.

Amazon had Bell & Evans on sale at $1.79 per pound so I succumbed.  I split the bird and have half dehydrating in the blast chiller as we speak.  I have a few hours yet to decide on what temperature to use.  I note for the anova chicken leg recipe they specify 167F/75C.

On 10/31/2020 at 5:42 AM, dtremit said:

I can't thank you enough for that link. That price was a special, short term sale by Amazon -- it's now back up $100+more, but I got my order in during the sale window. I really want the APO eventually but this oven will get me going  for the next year, while the  APO sorts itself out. I don't need to be an 'early adopter' here in HI (maybe back  on the mainland next summer, with bundled shipping & easier exchanges) -- after 20+ winters without anything more than a microwave + cooktop, HI isn't the time/place to go extreme.  A basic baking oven should be more than enough. Your help is very much appreciated!!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, KAD said:

@JoNorvelleWalker, why are you dehydrating the chicken in the blast chiller prior to cooking in the APO? 

is this a trick to get crispier skin? 

Yes.  The recipe calls for dehydrating in the refrigerator.  But, hey, I have a blast chiller.

Hahaha. Why not indeed. 

a related question(s): does your blast freezer have a hold mode so it can double as a regular freezer for the times your freezer is too full?

And how long does the freezer take to come down to temperature if you don’t have it on all the time.