• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Oven: Features, Accessories, Troubleshooting, and "Should I Buy One?"

FauxPas

On 10/10/2020 at 6:14 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

You'd think they might ship to California customers from California.  Mine would have arrived a lot quicker from Pennsylvania.

I got lucky.  Got my FedEx notice on Saturday - shipping PA to PA - expected Tuesday by the end of day.

• Like 2

Cognito ergo consume - Satchel Pooch, Get Fuzzy

14 hours ago, Sartain said:

I got lucky.  Got my FedEx notice on Saturday - shipping PA to PA - expected Tuesday by the end of day.

I'm green with jealousy.

Why is there no corresponding reaction emoticon?

4 hours ago, Robin G said:

I'm green with jealousy.

Why is there no corresponding reaction emoticon?

Robin, I'm afraid I have worse news.

The oven has arrived.  

But it's still in the box.  Does that help?

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

Cognito ergo consume - Satchel Pooch, Get Fuzzy

5 minutes ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

Mine just arrived in Calgary Alberta. A lot larger than I expected! I use to fit a Breville Smart Oven air in the same place and the Breville is a dwarf compared to the Anova. Way more height. 

AB410DF9-2BB9-428F-A005-64D30959AA34.jpeg

FBC09A74-107E-4EF1-8F7F-EF138590DCD8.jpeg

Ah, I remember when the interior of mine looked new.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Preheating the rear burner now. Quick question for those who have it. Is it tough for you to remove the drip tray? I wasn’t able to remove it without lifting the oven. Can’t imagine when it’s full and the oven is cooking. Is there a secret to detaching it?

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

https://www.sizzleandsear.com/

52 minutes ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

Preheating the rear burner now. Quick question for those who have it. Is it tough for you to remove the drip tray? I wasn’t able to remove it without lifting the oven. Can’t imagine when it’s full and the oven is cooking. Is there a secret to detaching it?

So far I have not seen a need to remove the drip tray.

Wondering how hot the Precision oven gets on the exterior (especially the top) and does the steam all vent at the lower front? Any concerns about placing it under some cabinets? 

3 hours ago, FauxPas said:

Wondering how hot the Precision oven gets on the exterior (especially the top) and does the steam all vent at the lower front? Any concerns about placing it under some cabinets? 

No.

• Like 1

You can't turn the oven off if you're wearing silicone gloves.  I don't think they thought this through. 

I suppose you could always pull the plug.

• Confused 1

Id also ask about " Brita'd " water

this has been discussed here some time ago.

for my espresso machine I use Brita's water , as it removes most of the

calcium in the water , tested by dip-stick.

Brita some ago was not allowed to claim this

by law at that time or even now

at the complain of ' soft water ' companies

like Culligan etc    true then , cant say for sure now

as Ive not looked into it.

but Brita removes significant calium from 

at least , my water , which is town well water

and delicious it is  !

Ive used Brita'd water in my CSO.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Keri AH said:

One of the points talks about a recommendation (requirement?) for using distilled water.

The on-line Quick Start Guide does say "Fill with distilled water." I am planning to follow that guidance, especially since folks have repeatedly commented on how well the oven conserves water. I hate descaling stuff.

I will agree the aforementioned manual does not explain what descaling solution to use, which I found rather annoying. Yeah, I can figure that out myself, but why be so vague??

Yes, rotuts, if I already had a Brita pitcher I'd use it. I've read lots of your posts about it. But I don't, and distilled water is in jugs at the grocery stores around here. Maybe if/when my expensive drinking water filter bites the dust I'll reconsider all this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keri AH said:

This (Hour 1 Observations) was posted on the Anova forum:

https://community.anovaculinary.com/t/oven-hour-1-observations/26882

One of the points talks about a recommendation (requirement?) for using distilled water. Any thoughts on that (or on any of the other points ... flickering light...)?

I am using distilled water in my APO.  In the CSO I used filtered water that measured as low as 2 mg/L of hardness:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/136349-do-brita-type-filters-work/?do=findComment&comment=2162319

With the filtered water I had little trouble with scaling but in two different CSO's I had flora and/or fauna in the tank (algae and unknown white flocculant matter, but not both at the same time) that gummed up the works.

As to flickering:  that was one of my initial observations.  Oddly now that I am looking for it I cannot reproduce the flickering.  Possibly the flickering happens only in some modes.  Possibly the flickering went away with the firmware update.

I got lucky and my oven arrived yesterday ahead of it's originally scheduled Monday. I was able to pick it up unaided, and with no pain, but I did modify the suggested technique a bit by tilting it onto its left side so I didn't have to splay my arms out quite so widely.

I can confirm I saw the flickering light for a while, although when I checked just now it seemed not to be flickering.

On 10/6/2020 at 10:19 PM, JasonsCookingAdventures said:

This does fit in the oven directly in the rack slots

Hamilton Housewares Stainless Steel Cooling Rack

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H94EPJ2/

I got one of those and it is indeed virtually identical in size to the racks that come with the oven (428mm largest dimension), and it seems just as sturdy. As a bonus, the corners are slightly more rounded such that it fits perfectly into the sheet pans I got many years ago at Costco. :D

Temperature control is interesting to watch. During the burn-in setup period (180C/rear/no steam) I observed a relatively large temperature swing at first, between 177-182C, then after 2-3 minutes it seemed to settle down, e.g.  179.9-181C.

My first experiment, overnight yogurt incubation, was a dismal failure. After scalding the milk, letting it cool, and adding culture, I put it in the oven set to 45C, SV mode, bottom element, no steam, no fan. Because I am super frugal, it seemed like "low and slow" was what was required. The initial temp swings were alarming but it was past my bedtime so I crossed my fingers and let it rip, hoping it would equilibrate like during the burn-in.

Got up this morning to find jars of hot milk at 53.5C, with no culture activity whatsoever. :angry:

Cooled the milk, re-inoculated, and started over using the recommended settings of rear element and 100% steam/high fan. This time I set the temp to 44C (still in SV mode). The temp is fluctuating between ~44.1 and 45.9C. In a few hours we shall see what develops. It seems the element, fan, and steam settings make a big difference in temperature stability, even at relatively low temps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Perhaps due to the extra-long heat treatment, I got a nice surprise with my yogurt experiment. It turned into labneh! All I had to do was pour off the whey. I had intended to make Greek yogurt out of it anyway, so no harm done and something to try again some day.

Edited by Robin G
typo (log)
  • Like 3