• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Oven: Features, Accessories, Troubleshooting, and "Should I Buy One?"

FauxPas

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

If it takes him 18 minutes to take the thing out of its box, he better call Alton to learn how to use it.

And Kenji works for anova in some capacity

• Like 1

I am feeling the burn. Steam. Something. I think I am going to have to order one of these damn things. Which is how I felt about the CSO, and when I got it, I loved it. I wonder if I would love the APO as much.

I am not a huge toast eater. But I have not seen a review from the APO practitioners regarding toast. Do tell, y'all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

I am feeling the burn. Steam. Something. I think I am going to have to order one of these damn things. Which is how I felt about the CSO, and when I got it, I loved it. I wonder if I would love the APO as much.

I am not a huge toast eater. But I have not seen a review from the APO practitioners regarding toast. Do tell, y'all.

CSO is easier to set but the APO gives more control.  I am in the minority that felt the CSO never gave good toast.

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Would people who already have an APO please start using and posting more and making more YouTube videos so that I can fight harder to not buy one please! 

These things seem so good, I’d love to do a sous vide pork belly in one.

• Like 1

I’ve had sous vide meats that have been sous vide in an oven before. The pork belly skin ain’t anywhere near as soaked and actually developed a crackle that was very nice, red meat was still just as juicy but the outside sear was just better from not having soaked in it’s own juices. 

I love sous vide, I use it all the time (almost daily) but I want more from sous vide that I can’t get from the bagged approach.

I should clarify, the meat itself wasn’t better because it was sous vide in an oven over a bag, it was still as tender and delicious, the results where the same but just finished better. 

another one however, custards in an accurate temp controlled oven, eggs, the list goes on. I can I,aging hundreds of different things I can do in an oven with accurate temp control to sous vide levels even just for presentational 

Edited by EatingBen
To clarify my view. (log)
  • Like 2

however , the strength of a sealed bag is that

after SV , using the proper temps and times

the contents are pasteurized, and thus will keep for some time in a cold

refrigerator if properly rapidly chilled.

a big bonus when doing multi-le bags

however , ASO might do a fine job for a smaller quantity 

w/o rigging up your SV system.

I see APO as a supplemental SV system.

sort of like the currently popular ' single dose ' method

Very true and you can still bag sous vide in an oven. I wouldn’t give up a water bath but want the ability to do more that don’t require some weird platform type setup to use ramekins or making egg bites in Teflon coat cups, or making just a ton of stuff where temp control and not having to resort to jars is ideal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Robin G said:

My "batch 1" order of Sept 3 finally has a tracking number, is expected to be shipped Mon (10/12) from PA, and is expected here in California Mon 10/19. Sigh. Seems like forever.

Don't feel bad.  Mine was shipped from California to New Jersey.

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

@JoNorvelleWalk

sad, but there it is

how is the CSO doing ?

just asking 

The CSO's are resting in the living room, thank you, next to two of the Paragons.

1 minute ago, Robin G said:

sigh, why....:S

You'd think they might ship to California customers from California.  Mine would have arrived a lot quicker from Pennsylvania.

• Like 1

In the Vegas youtube video there was talk of the unit recycling steam and dehumidifying the oven when you opened the door to save cupboards from steam damage.

does it do that when you open it, suck the steam inside?

9 hours ago, adey73 said:

In the Vegas youtube video there was talk of the unit recycling steam and dehumidifying the oven when you opened the door to save cupboards from steam damage.

does it do that when you open it, suck the steam inside?

I don't think the oven sucks steam inside.  However it is remarkably conservative of water.  Steaming chicken breasts for over two hours did not visibly reduce the water level.  Steaming that long in the CSO probably would have drained the tank.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I don't think the oven sucks steam inside.  However it is remarkably conservative of water.  Steaming chicken breasts for over two hours did not visibly reduce the water level.  Steaming that long in the CSO probably would have drained the tank.

I have also noticed minimal usage of water especially considering the size of the oven.  

• Like 1