• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Oven: Features, Accessories, Troubleshooting, and "Should I Buy One?"

FauxPas

I agree micro's  is not a high priority item.  my GE built in above the stove , maybe 18 years old

has become very funky.  it starts the wrong program etc.  I was going to get the electrical panel

that's under the buttons and replace it w a friend , but then C-19 etc.

its useful for : boiling water ,   micro'ing fz veg in water , softening butter from the refrig

and vital is you patronize TJ's Fz and Refrigerated prepared foods

I keep the door open after micro'ing above the stove , and the only thing that makes sense to the issues

is moisture from the cavity getting into the electronic area.  I unplug overnight , then it works for a while

if you dont do any of the above , then I can see little need for a micro.

however , I got this :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072JML2GZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

inexpensive , and mentioned in a CSO/ASO thread as the CSO fits right on top of this

as its footprint is only sl larger than the CSO.

41 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I agree micro's  is not a high priority item.  my GE built in above the stove , maybe 18 years old

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072JML2GZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

inexpensive , and mentioned in a CSO/ASO thread as the CSO fits right on top of this

as its footprint is only sl larger than the CSO.

Any worries about CSO steam and the microwave on top?

my error :  the CSO has a sl smaller foo0tprint , and is on top of the Micro

works well.

DSC08807.jpg.568401dc14030d6f90a482ca4a3d17a0.jpg

note the fabulous Patina on the CSO.  its taken me a long time to get the CSO to this state.

tasty.   BTW this is not a ' Full Power ' Micro.   or , not as powerful as the temperamental GE

above the overn :   1 cup tap water to boil :  GE : 3 minutes   Toshiba : 4 minutes.  inner light works in

the Toshiba , GE  light gave out some time ago .

• Like 3

17 hours ago, JasonsCookingAdventures said:

For those of us fortune enough to be getting it hopefully this week (or those poor folks in Canada who will be getting it in a few weeks), what are some tests and things others want to see from us guinea pigs? Any cooking tests? Any measurement verification? (I can confirm the website originally had the depth and height backwards) Anything else? Let's get a set of trials going and see if we can use this to its fullest.

Curious about toast over here, since this will most likely be a replacement for the CSO-300 for us.

• Like 2

I don't really make toast in the normal way, nor do I have a CSO to compare with, so my toasting evaluation will sadly not be very useful to you guys. Sorry! But I do have short-term plans for yogurt, as well as duck SV-style. Then perhaps sourdough batards. And dehydrating both sourdough starter and yogurt starter for backup storage.

• Like 2

I'm guessing toast won't be its strong suit, but I'm rooting for it as I will be using it for that purpose hopefully. Any test besides buying white bread, laying it fully over the rack to check toast evenness, and using the Anova recommended toast recipe (can anyone find this link anymore? I know I saw it at somepoint...) that folks would like to see? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JasonsCookingAdventures said:

I'm guessing toast won't be its strong suit, but I'm rooting for it as I will be using it for that purpose hopefully. Any test besides buying white bread, laying it fully over the rack to check toast evenness, and using the Anova recommended toast recipe (can anyone find this link anymore? I know I saw it at somepoint...) that folks would like to see? 

The toast link I posted seems to be broken.  But the settings were:   top and bottom elements, 300F, 10% steam.

• Thanks 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@JoNorvelleWalkerThanks for the toast instructions! I wonder why they took down recipes. Happen to have the butternut squash ravioli recipe that used to exist? I didn't think to save any because why would you delete things you've made like that...

Yea, I was hoping for a shipping notification too. Last I saw Cole Wagoner (with Anova) posted on the public Facebook group that it is still on schedule for shipping today. Mine still says processing though

2 minutes ago, JasonsCookingAdventures said:

@JoNorvelleWalkerThanks for the toast instructions! I wonder why they took down recipes. Happen to have the butternut squash ravioli recipe that used to exist? I didn't think to save any because why would you delete things you've made like that...

Yea, I was hoping for a shipping notification too. Last I saw Cole Wagoner (with Anova) posted on the public Facebook group that it is still on schedule for shipping today. Mine still says processing though

Where did you see "processing"?

44 minutes ago, JasonsCookingAdventures said:

https://shop.anovaculinary.com/order-lookup

Only works in some browsers (Didn't work on firefox for me)

Thanks.  My order also says "processing".

Anova posted an Instagram Live video of the oven cooking a steak sous vide and a multi-step app recipe for an omelet (foldable omelet in a pie pan). In the process they answer a lot of questions I think people have had upthread here.

Notably they walk through the front panel controls near the beginning — and they appear to have done the SV steak without using the app. Annoyingly the video is reversed (it's an IG thing, I think) but you can still make things out. It looks like you can manually select heating elements on the front panel which is really nice.

They compared three steaks: one cooked in a bag in a water bath, and two in the oven: one bagged and one unbagged. Same time/temp; all looked identical.

A few random notes: 

• Confirmed the internal dimensions upthread are width > depth > height
  • Won't quite fit a half sheet pan (18"x13"), but will fit a jelly roll pan (I'm assuming 15.5"x10.5")
  • Temperature variance of ±0.5°F in sous vide mode, a bit more in non-SV mode
  • "SV Express" mode in the app lets you set a separate cook temperature and target temperature — example given was a 53°C steak cooking at 63°C to accelerate cooking. When the probe hits the target temperature it will lower the oven temp to the target temp so food doesn't overcook.
  • Water tank rated for 24h @ 100% relative humidity (I assume in SV mode). Water tank can be removed and refilled without interrupting cook cycle.
  • Oven will run as low as 25°C / 77°F 
  • Has a descaling alert (based on boiler runtime) that will tell you when to descale; that is apparently done with descaling solution poured in the tank.

The omelet was a little gimmicky, but it did look well cooked, and he makes a good point about being able to make multiple sheet pans of omelet unattended.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Seriously, though, it would be excellent for creating huge quantities of the kind of sous vide egg bites they serve at Starbucks. I happen to really like the texture of those, but not quite enough to fiddle with tiny jars in a water bath!

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@dtremit

""  sous vide egg bites they serve at Starbucks ""

pics and details would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.starbucks.com/menu/product/2122116/single?parent=%2Ffood%2Fhot-breakfast%2Fegg-bites
https://www.starbucks.com/menu/product/2122936/single?parent=%2Ffood%2Fhot-breakfast%2Fegg-bites

I can't vouch for any of the copycat recipes, but I like the originals. They're primarily cottage cheese and egg, per the ingredient list.

In the store, they warm them in a turbo oven prior to serving, so they get browned on top.

They have a...quiche-like texture, but firmer? You can pick them up and eat them out of hand.

Edited by dtremit (log)

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@dtremit

""  sous vide egg bites they serve at Starbucks ""

pics and details would be greatly appreciated.

these ?

https://copykat.com/starbucks-sous-vide-egg-bites-bacon-gruyere/

Pretty sure we've got some threads about these on eG

FYI, I asked customer service whether we can create an automated recipe with the food probe that is triggered by sensing a temperature decline, rather than an increase. The example I used was scalding milk for yogurt. After some initial confusion because I forgot to say I was asking about the oven instead of the immersion circulator, I got a really nice, thorough answer from agent David L.

My question:

I would like to be able to set up a staged cooking recipe based on sensing a decrease in probe temperature to a target value. For example, heat food until probe reads 180 degrees F, hold for 30 minutes, then turn off heating elements and wait until the probe temp declines to 110 F before continuing. Can this be done?

David's answer:

I talked with our app engineers and here's what they mentioned:
"Stage 1: Set your first stage with a probe target at 180°F.
Stage 2: Set the transition into stage 2 to be "Automatic". Stage 2 should have the same settings as Stage 2, but with a 30min timer set to start immediately.
Stage 3: Set the transition into Stage 3 to be "Automatic" with the oven and probe set to 110°F.
One issue...
when you go into stage 3, the oven will think that the stage is complete because the probe will read well over 110°F...
So it may give the alert as if the cook is done because the 110°F probe target has been reached (or rather, exceeded)
However if you just dismiss that alert and choose to "Hold" rather than turn the oven off, it'll continue to run the oven and report back the probe temp
So... in some ways, yes you can do what they're trying to do, but also with that last stage, not really."
In conclusion, you can pretty much do what you'd like but it isn't going to be seamless especially with the last step of bringing the temperature down without an alert. Let me know if you have any questions. I attached a picture of what it would look like in the app. I know it may be a little confusing.

1319451373_SettingProbeTemperature.thumb.png.9514548116a1478fa259ec1b9b428103.png

Edited by Robin G
readability (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1